Migrating user collections from managed to referenced

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Migrating user collections from managed to referenced

Postby Ben01 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Hello

I'm a relatively new C1 user and am looking to organise my files a little better. I have a local managed catalogue, within which I've used user collections to create of a number of albums, a few albums inside groups and a couple of smart albums.

I'd like to migrate to referenced files (on a NAS) with the catalogue remaining on my local machine.

My question is how to do this, preserving the user collections that I've built up? I can't seem to find any obvious information to do it from this starting point, although plenty to migrate individual (or multiple) images back and forth.

Thanks!
Ben

P.S. As an aside, the NAS will be accessed via GigE. Is that generally considered fast enough (ideal?) for work within the catalogue, in comparison to e.g. an external Thunderbolt drive?
Ben01

Re: Migrating user collections from managed to referenced

Postby Ian3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 pm

You can move images in the Library tool in Capture One. So if you have some images that are stored in the catalog, make sure you can see the destination folder in the Library tool - add it to the catalog if need be by clicking the + sign in the System Folders section - then drag and drop the images from the "Inside catalog" section to the target folder. As long as you do this within Capture One, the catalog will still know where to find your files and they will not disappear from any user collections (Albums, Smart Albums, etc).

To be sure you know what you are doing, try it on just a couple of images first, to be confident that it works and that you are doing it right.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Ben01 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am

Thank you Ian

Does that mean that I have to individually create a folder on the NAS for every album in my user collections list, and then go into each one in turn, select all the images, and then drag them to that new folder? That does seem to work, but feels like a fairly long-winded process to get everything migrated?

I guess the alternative would be to just dump the contents of All Images from Catalogue Collections into a single folder, if I don't care about any sort of structure on the NAS?

Thanks
Ben
Ben01

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:40 pm

No. You have misunderstood what I suggested, I think. In the Library tab you should see three sections

- Catalog Collections (All Images, recent imports, etc)

- User Collections (Your Albums, Smart Albums, Projects, etc.)

- Folders. (The actual folders on your computer, or attached drives or whatever that you have added to the catalog.)

Go to Folders.

Folders will have a section in it called In Catalog (with a symbol like an open book). (Mine has no images in it because all my images are referenced, not managed.) Yours should have all your managed images in it.

Also below that there will be whatever physical system folders you have added to the catalog. If the destination you want for your images is already in the catalog, it will show up there. If it doesn't you have to add it. (It won't scan your whole computer system, because of the huge overhead that would represent.) Add any folder(s) you like using the + symbol in the Folders section of the tool. Then just drag and drop images from the In Catalog section to the folder(s) of your choice. Capture One will see to physically moving them for you.

If you want to put them all in one folder, you can. The beauty of the catalog and its user collections is that it really doesn't matter where the images are physically. I could create an Album called Summer Holiday, and it could comprise images in several different physical locations, or all in the same place. If you ever need to actually find which folder an image is physically stored in, you can right click it and choose Show in Library or Show in Finder.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Ben01 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Ah...! That’s really helpful. Thank you Ian - got it.
Ben01

Return to Capture One 11.x Software