Fuji free version extremely slow to ingest??

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Fuji free version extremely slow to ingest??

Postby NN635770105360640215UL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:53 am

I'm just switching to Fuji and thus looking for an alternative to Aperture. I like much of what I see in Capture One (I'm using the free Fuji version) but I'm having one major issue--sort of a deal killer.

I travel many weeks of the year and a key method of data security for me is to NOT erase my SD cards if possible--to keep the images both on them and in my photo program (in this case Capture One). If I lose my laptop, say my car is broken into or a hotel staffer walks away with it, no big deal. I have all the images. If I drop my camera down a deep hole in the earth or some dude steals it from around my neck, minor deal--I only lose what I haven't imported yet. Can't rely on cloud back-up since Internet is spotty in many places in the country.

Capture One Fuji, however, is excruciatingly slow to import if you have to check for prior imports. Astonishingly slow, considering every other program I've had experience with is lightning fast. Even with a few hundred images on the card it takes *minutes* to display the new ones. If the card has thousands of images on it, well, you may very well go insane.

It's a deal killer. Is this done on purpose, to make upgrading to the paid version more attractive? Or is this an unfixed bug? Quite frankly, either possibility makes me pause on a move to Capture One.

--Darin
NN635770105360640215UL

Re: Fuji free version extremely slow to ingest??

Postby NN635770105360640215UL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:56 am

subscribing
NN635770105360640215UL

Postby Ian3 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:07 am

I don't think that this is anything to do with it being the Fuji free version rather than the full version. I seem to recall reports of slowness on previous versions too if checking for duplicates is enabled. If you could find a way of avoiding that, it might take a huge difference to the speed. Worth trying, at least, using an empty card for some new shots, importing them without the checking for duplicates turned on, and seeing what the speed is like.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:26 am

Darin,

It's the same code for all activation options.

The only differences are that for the Manufacturer specific versions not all RAW files are supported - only files from that manufacturer - and the Free versions have some functionality excluded.

The duplicates check is simply not the fastest of features but it is comprehensive in its approach

I never use it although my usual approach to downloading from cards is much the same as yours.

Since I usually know what I have already downloaded by day/date it is easy enough to sort the files by date and select those required for the latest import or use a filter to select only those that you know you have not downloaded.

Possibly made even easier if using date taken as a storage folder on import.

That said I don't use the Catalogue system since the Pro versions offer a sessions approach which I prefer. That gives me some other options for managing the ways I can copy the files from the card to other storage locations and work on them in C1. The equivalent in the Free versions would be to work with multiple catalogues.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 pm

The duplicate check is slow. I understand that you as a traveller prefer not to delete images after ingestion, but I suggest you look at a different workflow like with a backup feature or use multiple cards.

But again, the duplicate check is slow.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635770105360640215UL » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 am

Well, that's a bummer to hear. Adding more SD cards to the process ()you'd need a lot of extra cards to make a meaningful difference!) won't work I think--it will just add more vastly complication and increase the opportunity for screw ups.

Has Phase One identified any benefit of their much slower code? As I mentioned, Capture One's speed at ingesting without duplication is not just slower than any other program I've used or heard about but crazy, dramatically slower. With just a few hundred images on the card I can be editing the first ones in a few seconds with rival products, not the many minutes Capture One requires. I routinely wait ten or more minutes for the card to start ingesting new images! :(

Am I missing an advantage here? Is version 12 the same?

--Darin
NN635770105360640215UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:20 am

NN635770105360640215UL wrote:(...)
Am I missing an advantage here? Is version 12 the same?

I have not done any comparison test on this. You could run the 30-day trial and test it on your system with your workflow. Use a test catalog or session so you can continue working on CO11 as long as you have not decided to upgrade.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635770105360640215UL » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 am

Just wanted to mention that other programs present related problems when traveling with poor internet connections.

For example, Apple's Photos (since you can't keep the whole library on a laptop) has a setting that keeps only the most recent in high-res, the rest are all sort of screen-res with the high-res ready to download the minute you want to look at it.

But on a trip this simmer to Alaska I ran into this problem: I was shooting many pictures a day and so when I would go back a few days that would be way back--crossing the line into what Apple had reduced to screen resolution. And with a poor internet connection it wouldn't download the full-res. Grrrr. More frustrating, even when I would simply want to e-mail on eof these shots to family, say, I could see it full screen on my laptop but when I dragged and dropped it attempted to download the full res--and, of course failed. The JPEG icon in my e-mail would simply vanish. So I was reduced to doing Command-Shift-4 to transfer picts from Photos to e-mail.

Which is a long way to say that I need a better program and a better plan. :) I hope version 12 will work or Phase One fixes the problem.

--Darin
NN635770105360640215UL

Postby ben_US » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 pm

NN635770105360640215UL wrote:Which is a long way to say that I need a better program and a better plan. :) I hope version 12 will work or Phase One fixes the problem.

Best option here for us to fix it is to create a tech support case (via the link in my profile) and send us your log files, which can be generated via the Scripts > Get Logs option :).
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby NN635770105360640215UL » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Hey Ben,

Just submitted the log files etc. If you need anything else please let me know. (My upload is case number 313361)

Thanks,

--Darin
NN635770105360640215UL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac