Editing different sessions

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Editing different sessions

Postby oliver11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:38 pm

I have shot a job where my client has a back up copy on her drive with some edits on it. I have taken another drive and gone not to my next job. I have continued to edit, tag and correct colours balance etc. Am I able to send just the session file ( the one ending .cosessiondb) and if this is swapped and launched onto the clients drive will the original session inherit my new edits and tags etc. (None of the files are moved) or do I need to also swap the Capture One folder in each shot that holds the Cache and Settings 101 folders. What is the best way to do this other than sending the whole day's session over approx 250gb.

Many Thanks
oliver11

Re: Editing different sessions

Postby Ian3 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 pm

You need to send the folder. In a session (unlike in a catalog) the edits are stored in sidecar files in subfolders of the image files not in the session file. I'd advise against sending just the Capture One folder(s). You might get away with it, but the safest thing is to copy over the whole session folder.

Ian
Ian3

Postby cdc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:10 pm

I'd try sending both the session file as well as all of the Capture One folders, if there we're many folders you shot to keeping all of the Capture One folders in order could be tricky, since they all have the same name. But If no images were moved or renamed and she replaced all of the files/folders you sent, in theory it should work.

An alternative to sending the whole session would be having her give you a list of selects and you could send only the selects as EIP files, the adjustments would be included in the EIP files.
cdc

Postby oliver11 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 am

Thank you. I issue is a shot 16 shots into separate folders so moving the sidecar files that are all named the same (in their respective folders) is a recipe for disaster. I will plan another way.
Many Thanks for you answers.
oliver11

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 am

oliver11 wrote:Thank you. I issue is a shot 16 shots into separate folders so moving the sidecar files that are all named the same (in their respective folders) is a recipe for disaster. I will plan another way.
Many Thanks for you answers.

So the sequence number was reset to start again?

Is it likely that the client has done any editing or was the copy purely a safe backup for them?

If they have not edited then the safest thing you could do would be to re-issue the entire catalogue but after using the batch rename facility to eliminate duplicate file names in the session.

If the folders are usefully named that would be even better as it could enhance the usefulness of the file name within the folders easily using the token(s) available and help to avoid possible confusion for the customer.

I would be tempted to rename the session as well in that situation.

The backup copy can be deleted once delivery is successful.

However if the client has access to the files and may have worked on them you may need a more carefully considered approach.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software