iMac 5k 2017 lag...

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

iMac 5k 2017 lag...

Postby alfaholic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Hello everyone,

Capture One 11 lags when used on my iMac 5k 2017, it has latency for everything I do, there is one second at best, but mostly two, 3 sometimes more than 4 seconds lag until Capture One to respond to my tweaks, simple things like exposure, contrast.
It gets better if I use the application in Low Resolution mode, it is faster but still not perfect, it still lags half a second. I know it does not sound much, but when you edit 500 photos that lag kills my workflow, it slows me down, my hand hurts, precise tweaking is not possible, and all kind of other problems with latency.

I tried Beta 12, but it is the same thing, very, very slow.

I believe this computer is not powerful enough for this amount of pixels, or the software is not optimized well.
alfaholic

Re: iMac 5k 2017 lag...

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:17 pm

I don't know the answer, but if my memory is correct there have been other threads on here about the 5k iMac. Have you had a search to see whether anyone else has had the same issue and has come up with an answer?

Ian
Ian3

Postby alfaholic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks, yes I did, but there is no solution to this.
alfaholic

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:45 pm

alfaholic wrote:Thanks, yes I did, but there is no solution to this.

Why do you want a 5k screen for image editing?

Do you understand what an NDA is?
SFA

Postby alfaholic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm

SFA wrote:Why do you want a 5k screen for image editing?

I do not need 5K for image editing, I just happen to have 5K display on a relatively new computer which I would like to use for image editing as before with my 10 years old Hackintosh running flawlessly at 1080 resolution.
Also, it is not about editing in 5K, it runs scaled to 2560 x 1440 by default, so text is sharper, user interface is sharper while the photo looks the same because it works on pixel by pixel basis.

But then if used in Low Resolution mode everything works fairly well, so I am not clear wether this is some hardware limit because of that gimmicky 5K display is paired with relatively old and average hardware (?), or it is a lack of some software optimization.
alfaholic

Postby John Doe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 am

IIRC some 5K iMacs are too underpowered in terms of GPU to run Capture One smoothly. What's your GPU?
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby cdc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 am

I recall one of the Capture One guys saying on the forum some time back that even the best video card options for the 5k iMac is not good enough and that to run 5k with Capture One you'd need an iMac pro (paraphrasing, don't quote me on this).
cdc

Postby alfaholic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:53 am

This iMac has Radeon RX580 with 8GB of RAM.

Capture One is not the only software with this problem, even some DAWs have the same problem with lag and latency in HIRes, while at the same time others do not which brings me the idea of optimization, or the lack of optimization in this case.
For example Logic Pro does not have this problem, while Pro Tools, and Reaper has, so I need to run them in Low Resolution mode to get good performance. And the only thing they need to do is to show static GUI on the screen, nothing too demanding for GPU.

As for image processing software, Lightroom must run in Low Resolution mode in order to have good performance, then it works very fast and without any lag, but Capture One has it even with Low Resolution turned on.
If it needs more than 8GB RAM for GPU and faster than this relatively fast and new RX580, then I believe it asks too much just for running the GUI.

I know Apple hardware these days is not very competitive, it is already 2 generation behind with their processors, but at the same time I run 100 mbps 4K videos in DaVinci Resolve with color correction without any problems.
Yes, this is maybe comparing apples to oranges, but it is very hard for me ti believe that Capture One needs $10 000 iMac Pro just for the interface to run smoothly. Either there is something I am doing wrong, or this software is not very efficient.
alfaholic

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Your immediate problem is not enough RAM. For Capture One and probably some of your other applications, 8GB is not enough.

I have observed that with Capture One up to 16GB is used; I have 24GB on mine (started with 8 and immediately added 16).

If the computer doesn't have enough RAM, then it starts saving less used data in RAM on the main drive, until it is needed again, and then it brings it back (but then it has to make room by moving something else to the main drive). This is called a swap file mechanism. The lag that you observe is what happens as a result.

You didn't mention size and type of main drive, but if for example you had a spinning drive or a small fusion drive or an SSD drive with not much room left this would aggravate this affect.

I have observed that with Macs my friends bring to me for assistance, a simple way to speed them up is to add more RAM.

Considering your situation I would upgrade to 32GB of RAM.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby alfaholic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:49 pm

I have 32 GB of RAM, 8GB RAM is for graphic card. The system is on SSD with 80GB used, and 40 GB free space.
alfaholic

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:11 am

My Capture One 11 and Capture One 12 is running OK on a not too expensive iMac. It may take 20-30 seconds to open my catalog with 20,000 images, and it may take 2-3 seconds (perhaps less) for an image to become absolutely clear in the viewer, once it is selected.

I have a late 2015 27" iMac with 5K display, Second Monitor, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, Radeon M390 with 2GB VRAM.

The internal drive is a 1 TB Fusion drive (this drive has a very small SSD).

I have put my Capture One files on an external SSD, attached by USB 3.0. About 50% full.

I think your system should be faster than mine. For Capture One, it isn't. I don't think your HW is the bottleneck.

Filter Tool can sometimes cause a lot of delay, if the are many thousands of images, and if you have some Metadata fields with "difficult" metadata. Perhaps try removing Filter Tool from the Library Tab, and see if that makes the difference. If it does, then we can discuss a workaround.

Another question - are you running any antivirus perhaps?
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby alfaholic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:33 am

Eric Nepean wrote:My Capture One 11 and Capture One 12 is running OK...

Thanks. I do not have anitivirus, never had those on Mac OS. My system is streamlined for DAW so there is so little going on in the background.

I do not use Capture One nor Lightroom for catalogue workflow, but for session only so there is no more than 500 photos in worst case scenarios, but most of the time 10 to 20 photos loaded at a time.

I can create some video to show the (lack of) speed I am talking about.
alfaholic

Postby alfaholic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 am

Here is the video how it looks:

https://youtu.be/OStqvU8FtuE

This is Low Resolution mode, however with Hi Res it is even slower, much slower.

EDIT:

Well, after some testing I figured out that preview size makes editing slower. Someone said somewhere that preview size should be the largest possible so the computer runs faster, just the reality is totally the opposite.
Now I use 1920 as preview size and everything works... just well. It is not super fast, but the lag and latency is somewhat manageable.
I have Windows 10 on the same machine and it runs smoother and faster :shock: but not by much.
Also I tested Nikon NEF and Canon CR2 files, they all act the same as Fuji RAF files.

Still, it is not as fast as Lightroom in Low Res mode, which is very interesting because many people say totally the opposite, we Fuji users should use Capture One - PERIOD. I am not so religious about my software, so my idea was to move away from Lightroom because I do not like how it sharpens Fuji files, however after some serious testing and using Iridient X-Transformer with Lightroom I concluded that both programs work good, and those differences are negligible most of the time. Like always, it is human factor after all...
alfaholic

Postby NN636938084653053921UL » Sat May 18, 2019 7:39 pm

While this iMac is not officially upgradable after purchase, it can actually be done. I upgraded the same model before Christmas so that it had an internal SSD for storage and a lot more RAM.
NN636938084653053921UL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software