lensprofile?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

lensprofile?

Postby LarsH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 am

Hi, is there a lens profile für Samyang 14 mm fullformat (and shift)? Or what kind could be better than manuf. prof.? Thanks, lars

if loading image works look to the line of the house right.

C1 pro 11, macbook pro, 10.13.6, X-pro2 | LarsHennings.de
LarsH

Re: lensprofile?

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:06 pm

If it comes up as "manufacturer's profile" then there is not a profile created by Phase One, but it is using one created by the manufacturer, from information saved to the camera from the lens. (If the lens were completely unsupported it would say "generic" rather than "manufacturer's profile".) If you think that the manufacturer's profile doesn't produce adequate results, you could use the Support case system to request support for the lens. Phase One uses the number of requests they receive to help them gauge the level of demand. And you can adjust the distortion correction by hand from the manufacturer's profile as a starting point using the distortion slider. (I agree that there is a slight curve on the building.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby LarsH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi, the lens is not connected to the camera for there is a shift adaptor used. Is it possible that C1 recognice the manuf. pr. then? lars
LarsH

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't know! What happens if you use the lens without the shift adapter? Does it show generic, manufacturer's profile, or the actual name of the lens?

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 pm

The Samyang 14mm that I have is a totally manual lens with no communication to the camera since there is nothing to communicate. Later developments of the lens may be different in that respect but I don't know.

All the tests I have read that relate to the lens I have (the original release) indicate that, at best with a 'good' copy of the lens, there is some severe 'moustache' distortion which is always going to be difficult to correct consistently and may not be entirely consistent anyway from one copy of the lens to the next.

It's a wonderful lens for the price but I would not use it for architectural work if total accuracy out of the camera was to be an objective.

In my case, using it with APS-C and APS-H sensors, the distortion effect is less evident than it would be if I used Full Frame.

Since the manual lens, even used alone, cannot self identify in any way, any correction available would need to be applied manually. You could, therefore, come up with your own correction for the lens and save it for re-use.

However if you have a more recent version of the lens with AF and the potential for self identification there may be some potential for automatic application of a correction preset.

If you are using some sort of adapter between camera and lens the ability to communicate may be different.

As Samyang is an independent lens manufacturer I doubt any of the camera manufacturers would have a profile for the lens and Samyang may not provide one even for their 'chipped' versions. If your tilt adapter does not allow communication anyway that would make any data in the lens useless. As, I suspect, would the use of a shift adaptor for any corrections for which you were expecting total accuracy.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby LarsH » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks. It is not possible for me to use it without the shift adaptor; there is no Nikon with a mirror (the lens could then use AF; not on X-Pro2). In – sorry – Affinity photo with the meshes can it corrected. Bye, lars
LarsH

Postby SFA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:44 pm

LarsH wrote:Thanks. It is not possible for me to use it without the shift adaptor; there is no Nikon with a mirror (the lens could then use AF; not on X-Pro2). In – sorry – Affinity photo with the meshes can it corrected. Bye, lars

Pushing the pixels around on an already converted image (after RAW conversion) is probably the only real option. So yes, you need something like PhotoShop - in your case Affinity and some of its features that arrived from its Graphics Editing origins.

In old school wet chemistry dark rooms the equivalent would have been developing the film (RAW file processing but only part of it) and printing (the rest of RAW file processing plus any additional manipulations that would be required by "adjusting" how the projected light fell on the photographic paper print medium to fix errors or adjust unacceptable distortions.

Of course some activities can be shifted along the work flow in a digital darkroom situation.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac