Best Configuration of Mac Mini 2018I would like to buy a new

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Best Configuration of Mac Mini 2018I would like to buy a new

Postby NNN635920249553234253 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi:
I would like to buy a new Mac Mini 2018 but I have doubts in which model to buy. My workflow is Capture 1 and Photoshop with 30 Mb Raws.
Any help on the best configuration of Mac Mini 2018?

Thanks
NNN635920249553234253

Re: Best Configuration of Mac Mini 2018I would like to buy a

Postby NN635412303032341950UL » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 am

Well, how much can you spend?

Mac Mini seems to be nice for photo uses but not for heavy loading works like video uses.

More RAM, faster CPU, and large memory space would be ideal. Getting the fastest CPU would be great since you can not upgrade it in the future. Adding extra $200 shouldn't be a problem. RAM is very expansive. You can get third-party RAM but replacing them is very complicated. You can check youtube videos that you have you dissect all parts. If you can, get 16 or 32gb or RAM. Im using A7R2 RAW files but it takes 4gb of RAM. Spend another $200 for storage unless you wanna use only C1P.

BUT... there is one issue with Mac mini 2018. It does not have a GPU inside. Capture One Pro take advantages from OpenCL by accelerating the graphics card. I have no idea if the internal gpu works fine without a real gpu tho.

You can upgrade CPU to max, get at least 16 or 32gb of RAM, and get 512gb space. Adding eGPU would be very expansive. Someone should test Mac mini for C1P.
NN635412303032341950UL
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:19 am

I'd first wait a a few months to get reports from those who will evaluate the ne Mac Mini. Three months should also give Apple time to fix any production bugs.

If you really don't plan to do much video, then I'd get the Mini with the 6 core i7 processor. Without a big GPU, C1 uses the CPU for everything, and the more cores the better (as I found out when I upgraded from an i5 to an i7). I think that 32GB of RAM is probably enough, but 16GB will be a bit small, remember that the CPU's RAM is being shared with the built in GPU, which will take a few GB. Apple RAM is pricey, so I'd consider buying it from Apple with 8GB, and then upgrading it with 3rd party RAM.

For $100, I might well buy the 10GB etherenet upgrade, although I don't see it as initially useful.

Initially, and possibly forever, you might not need an eGPU. But if you do ending up needing more GPU horsepower, then the eGPU path allows you to buy what you neeed, when you need it.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Edgephoto » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:44 am

I have a Mac Pro fro 2012. Still does good but I know I need to replace it in the near future. If I do run this for a while longer I will go with a new video card that can support Mojave. I would rather put the $500 toward a new computer instead of nearly 7 year old technology.

I was eyeing the Mac Mini because I like being able to use my own monitor. The lack of GPU is a concern to me. I do very little with video but I think the GPU helps make C1 work better and faster. I am thinking of an eGPU and a Mac Mini.

I am considering holding out until next year when Apple releases the new Mac Pro. I am afraid that the price might be out of my league. I love my Mac Pro because all my drives live inside. If I go mini I will have to go with a completely different method of storage, backup, etc.
Edgephoto

Re: Best Configuration of Mac Mini 2018

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:23 am

Edgephoto wrote:I have a Mac Pro fro 2012. Still does good but I know I need to replace it in the near future. If I do run this for a while longer I will go with a new video card that can support Mojave. I would rather put the $500 toward a new computer instead of nearly 7 year old technology.

I was eyeing the Mac Mini because I like being able to use my own monitor. The lack of GPU is a concern to me. I do very little with video but I think the GPU helps make C1 work better and faster. I am thinking of an eGPU and a Mac Mini.

I am considering holding out until next year when Apple releases the new Mac Pro. I am afraid that the price might be out of my league. I love my Mac Pro because all my drives live inside. If I go mini I will have to go with a completely different method of storage, backup, etc.

I have a late 2015 iMac with 4GHz i7; It runs Capture One quite OK and much better than my older 2009 with 2.7GHz i5. Apparently Capture One isn't using the GPU video card much. I have 24GB of RAM but it's rare for the RAM usage to go above 16GB.

From this I extrapolate that the new Mac Mini with the more powerful 6 core i7 processor and 32 GB of RAM should run Capture One quite well, as it will have a CPU with more cores than my iMac, and the missing GPU wasn't being used anyway. But 16GB of RAM may be a bit small since the built in graphics also uses the CPU's RAM.

If you configure the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro with 512GB SSD, 6 core processor and 32 GB of RAM, the Mac Mini is over $1000 cheaper. The RAM upgrade to 32GB can likely be purchased more cheaply from 3rd party vendors.

For the extra $1K the Mac Pro would come with two GPUs which will should give really good C1 performance. On the other hand you can configure the Mac Mini with an eGPU for about half that, if and when you think the cost is warranted.

For external storage, I find that the CalDigit Thunderbolt dock works really well. One thunderbolt connection to the Mac, and you have something like 10 additonal ports of several different types.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Peter Svancar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:56 am

Be aware, that if you will use high resolution monitor the mac mini gpu may not be sufficient since its a crap :).

I am wondering how good C1 is running for the poster above, which has same mac as me as stating that it is running fine.
For me its not very good, is there a chance to record video of the performance ?
Peter Svancar

Postby evian » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:55 pm

I am running C1 on a Mac mini 2018, 6 core 3.2GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. I have a Vega 56 eGPU (Sapphire, Breakaway Box 650) and 2 Eizo monitors connected to the eGPU. No issues, performance is great and as expected. I am really happy with it. If you want to use external monitors like the Eizo CG2730 it is probably one of the best Apple based setups you can get.

Connected to the Mac mini is also a USB3 SSD and an OWC Thunderbay 4 (TB2 with an adapter to TB3). I am using these drives from within C1 as well without any issues.

The Mac mini is running on Mojave. The latest version of C1 does not officially support Mojave yet - there are issues. But they are really minor (e.g. tab sequence in dialogue not working as expected etc.) I have not had any crash of C1 or any strange behaviour or anything that I couldn't easily work around.

I am using C1 with Canon RAW files only and I don't do tethering.
evian

Postby Peter Svancar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Well, can you pls test the setup without eGPU?
This will answer the question if the mac mini alone can handle it :)
Peter Svancar

Postby jjakucyk » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Unless something has changed in recent months, PhaseOne does NOT support Intel integrated GPUs. I don't know if that means Capture One doesn't use them at all (thus relying solely on the CPU), or if it tries to use them but any issues that may come up, such as color shifts or graphics artifacts, aren't their problem.

That said, I used a 2008 Mac Pro with Capture One for years with an unsupported GPU (I disabled OpenCL because Capture One would attempt to use it for processing, and it made it slower, but it was an AMD card and not anything Intel, so if Capture One does a GPU check on startup it might have just seen AMD/NVIDIA=OK whereas if it detected an Intel GPU it might have disabled OpenCL on its own). It actually performed fine, and was relatively fluid considering the age of the machine. I was driving a 27" Cinema Display, non-retina of course. I later got a decent Nvidia GTX 680 and that cut export times from 1/2 to 1/3 of what they were, and it made a perceptible but unmeasurable difference in the overall feel of the program.

I now have a base model iMac Pro with the AMD Vega 56. An export of RAW photos with a decent number of adjustments takes 35 seconds with OpenCL enabled, and 79 seconds with it disabled. So again, the GPU cuts time by more than 1/2. Of course in the grand scheme of things export time is less important than overall usability. Display processing is a bit slower with OpenCL disabled, but we're talking fractions of a second. That can get tedious when working for hours and hours at a time, but it's still faster than it was on my old computer under the best circumstances. Driving a 4K or 5K monitor raises additional concerns, so the difference in processing power from GPU-accelerated to CPU-only can be bigger. PhaseOne doesn't even recommend most regular iMacs because the GPUs are barely adequate to drive the 5K display. I think they generally only recommend iMac Pros, Mac Pros, and the MacBook Pros with discreet GPUs.

I would say if you are set on a Mini, and aren't going with an eGPU, then get the absolute fastest processor you can. Otherwise there's not much more you can do.
jjakucyk

Postby NN634969607133502601UL » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi Evian!

How does the new Mac mini 6-core compare to a Mac Pro 2013 6 or 8-core D500 with 2 monitors?

I have the option of getting a Mac Pro 2013 or a Mac mini for about the same price. I usually use Capture One Pro, backup software to 1-2 drives, exporting files, running Adobe Photoshop and InDesign - on 2 Eizo monitors.

I'm mainly concerned about the tethering speed, I just want the new shots to come in and render as fast as possible from my Nikon D810 camera.

Which of the 2 computers do you think would perform better?

Thanks so much

evian wrote:I am running C1 on a Mac mini 2018, 6 core 3.2GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. I have a Vega 56 eGPU (Sapphire, Breakaway Box 650) and 2 Eizo monitors connected to the eGPU. No issues, performance is great and as expected. I am really happy with it. If you want to use external monitors like the Eizo CG2730 it is probably one of the best Apple based setups you can get.

Connected to the Mac mini is also a USB3 SSD and an OWC Thunderbay 4 (TB2 with an adapter to TB3). I am using these drives from within C1 as well without any issues.

The Mac mini is running on Mojave. The latest version of C1 does not officially support Mojave yet - there are issues. But they are really minor (e.g. tab sequence in dialogue not working as expected etc.) I have not had any crash of C1 or any strange behaviour or anything that I couldn't easily work around.

I am using C1 with Canon RAW files only and I don't do tethering.
NN634969607133502601UL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software