Batch Renaming | Presets Unavailable

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Batch Renaming | Presets Unavailable

Postby Globalksp » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 pm

Occasionally when attempting to batch rename images (from their folders in the Library, not from albums / collections), the naming presets I've created aren't usable.

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing?

Screenshot: Image
Last edited by Globalksp on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Globalksp

Re: Bath Renaming | Presets Unavailable

Postby Globalksp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Anybody?
Globalksp

Re: Bath Renaming | Presets Unavailable

Postby David Edge » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:44 pm

It works fine for me. Open a support case.
--
David Edge
Derby, UK
David Edge

Re: Batch Renaming | Presets Unavailable

Postby SFA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:37 pm

The Presets are shared with the Process recipe feature. ( I have no idea where they are stored though).

However there are some options in the Process recipe tokens which cannot be available in the Batch Rename.

For example I have a preset for output naming that simply uses (File name section of recipe) Sub Name_File Name. (Note: The file name before output which will of course be different if attempting the rename an already output file!)

When batch renaming there is no Sub Name option so the token is not available and the Preset definition is invalid for batch renaming.

I have 5 presets defined for output file naming in the process recipe section, 2 of which are not valid for batch renaming and so are greyed out.

The main shortcoming seems to be that when in batch rename mode there is no way to see the definition of the preset (so far as I have found using Windows). If there was (or if the reason for exclusion was indicated) the logic would be easier to follow.

HTH.

I would be interested to know if this analysis matches what you discover with your preset definitions.

Grant
SFA

Postby Globalksp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks for the insight, Grant.

I opened a support case with Phase. We'll see what they come up with.

Cheers,

Kyle
Globalksp

Postby matt mckee » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:22 pm

this is an old thread, so most of you may have figured it out. But, just in case:

I ran into a problem where I was trying to set up the capture preset naming convention to my fav methodology when I noticed that, even after re building the preset, it would still show up greyed out when I wanted to set it.

So, here is what I ended up doing:

1. Build your favorite naming convention using the tokens and save it as a user preset. Mine is named Capture Standard Naming
mine is my name_[current year xxxx][current month][current day]_[current hour][current second]
this was based off an old Peter Krough lecture. He recommends using other metadata when doing image searches, so the file name is just there to avoid accidentally over writing files by using date and time.
2. Save the preset
3. At this point, when I go to change to that preset, all of the user naming presets are greyed out.
4. Click in the "next file naming" panel in the Format field. Clear all data from the field.
5. Click on the [...] and your presets should be there.

I hope that helps someone!

btw, I built another preset for importing that uses the [image time] token in place of [current year... etc]
This works great for slower shooting and for ingesting from 2 different cameras synched up chronologically.
However, I haven't figured out the work around for burst shooting. That may need to go to a difffernt counter system.
matt mckee

Postby Globalksp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:07 am

matt mckee wrote:this is an old thread, so most of you may have figured it out. But, just in case:

I ran into a problem where I was trying to set up the capture preset naming convention to my fav methodology when I noticed that, even after re building the preset, it would still show up greyed out when I wanted to set it.

So, here is what I ended up doing:

1. Build your favorite naming convention using the tokens and save it as a user preset. Mine is named Capture Standard Naming
mine is my name_[current year xxxx][current month][current day]_[current hour][current second]
this was based off an old Peter Krough lecture. He recommends using other metadata when doing image searches, so the file name is just there to avoid accidentally over writing files by using date and time.
2. Save the preset
3. At this point, when I go to change to that preset, all of the user naming presets are greyed out.
4. Click in the "next file naming" panel in the Format field. Clear all data from the field.
5. Click on the [...] and your presets should be there.

I hope that helps someone!

btw, I built another preset for importing that uses the [image time] token in place of [current year... etc]
This works great for slower shooting and for ingesting from 2 different cameras synched up chronologically.
However, I haven't figured out the work around for burst shooting. That may need to go to a difffernt counter system.

Thanks for this! And man, Peter Krugh, blast from the past!
Globalksp

Postby matt mckee » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 am

Yeah, Peter was amazing in the lecture I saw here in Boston. Changed my whole workflow -- for the better!

He made Media Pro work!

Now, I am struggling to get Photo Supreme to do what I want. It seems really good, but it is definitely a different workflow than media pro.
matt mckee

Return to Capture One 11.x Software