Media Pro refugees: What are our DAM demands?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Media Pro refugees: What are our DAM demands?

Postby roberte » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:37 am

Paul Dymond wrote:Clients balk at it for the reason of it only being available on one computer per licence, and the whole subscription thing.

Your clients do not have to pay a Creative Cloud subscription to use Lightroom for DAM. Have a read of Peter's blog post I linked to above: http://thedambook.com/lightroom-never-fully-expires/

Lightroom has an email preset built-in.

Photo Supreme was inspired by iView and is worth looking at. Hert does a great job - but some IT departments in government I've dealt with frowned at lone developer applications.
roberte

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 am

Wow, you learn something new every day! Alright, this definitely warrants further investigation. Now I just have to learn how to use Lightroom by the look of it! Thank you so much for the help everybody. I kind of feel like I hijacked the thread but this has been really enlightening.
Paul Dymond

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:Wow, you learn something new every day! Alright, this definitely warrants further investigation. Now I just have to learn how to use Lightroom by the look of it! Thank you so much for the help everybody.

Another thanks to Robert for the Lightroom tip. I never liked Lightroom's UI, but will now reconsider this out of necessity.

Paul Dymond wrote:I kind of feel like I hijacked the thread...

No worries. There's a thread in the Media Pro section more directly related to finding a DAM replacement for Media Pro (if you want to continue the discussion there): "Where to, now?"

I'll re-post Robert's Lightroom tip there, too, if he hasn't already.
Last edited by syncrasy on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
syncrasy

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Cheers for that, and to bring the topic back on track some things I find indispensable. The Find Similar items function, the Find Missing Items function, the email button (the ability to send multiple emails at once, including as a separate email for each file for clients with slow servers), the script which lets you place the folder names as keywords, and of course the amazing Find function.
Paul Dymond

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi Paul
I assume Fund Missing Items means "find items where the original file cannot be located". If so, I have a script for this that can be compiled and added to COs script menu. I will post shortly.

"Find Function" I have a script that finds which Capture One user collections images are located in. I will post shortly.

I have found how to write an Applescript to send an email for multiple images (the mechanism is alittle obscure). Let me know if you would like me to write such a script. This requires a temporary folder somewhere, please suggest a location for the temporary folder.

"Copy Folder Name to Key words". This is an easy script to write. Suppose that the image is located thus:
~/Folder1/folder2/folder3/theimagefile
Then the key word would be: Folder_folder3 (flat structure)
Or??
Eric Nepean

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Thank you for the kind offer Eric, yes fund does mean find. Although it would be nice if somebody would fund my missing images! Excuse the ignorance but are scripts only available for Macs? I have seen lots of references to Applescrips and assumed it was only for Macs. I’m operating on Windows.
Paul Dymond

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Another thing I find useful is the ability to show certain features under the file name in the thumbnail view. I always display the pixel dimensions (to quickly locate the high res files), as well as Catalog Sets so I can quickly see which images have not yet been put in a Catalog Set. Being able to search for images that are not already in a Catalog Set is also indispensable.
Paul Dymond

Postby syncrasy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am

Paul Dymond wrote:Another thing I find useful is the ability to show certain features under the file name in the thumbnail view. I always display the pixel dimensions (to quickly locate the high res files), as well as Catalog Sets so I can quickly see which images have not yet been put in a Catalog Set. Being able to search for images that are not already in a Catalog Set is also indispensable.

Agreed. The View options are indispensable. And in List view you can fit more items across the top to make columns. For me it's easier to scan columns for empty fields than rows of thumbs. But that's what's so great about Media Pro—its flexibility, allowing different ways to accomplish a task.
syncrasy

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 am

Paul Dymond wrote:Thank you for the kind offer Eric, yes fund does mean find. Although it would be nice if somebody would fund my missing images! Excuse the ignorance but are scripts only available for Macs? I have seen lots of references to Applescrips and assumed it was only for Macs. I’m operating on Windows.

Hi Paul
You will note that PhaseOne has two forums, one for Windows users and one for Mac users. This thread is in the Mac forum. :)

AppleScript is a proprietary Apple product that only runs on Apple Computers.

AFAIK Capture One for Windows offically has no scripting feature.

Over the last several years, Apple has started to develop scripting infrastructure for Javascript. Javascript runs on Windows, OS X (Mac) and Linux. Applescript functions can be mapped to Javascript, and can be triggered by Javascript.

It would be interesting to see if Capture One 11 for Windows will respond to a Javascript command.
Eric Nepean

Postby RobiWan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 am

Eric Nepean wrote:It would be interesting to see if Capture One 11 for Windows will respond to a Javascript command.

Javascript on Windows is I mean not the best idea. The only one scripting language with complete interface to OS is PowerShell. Everything else has restrictions somewhere else.
RobiWan

Postby syncrasy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Another demand that I think is reasonable (as another user suggested in the Media Pro forum): a free license for Capture One.

The argument is straightforward: Media Pro customers paid for a product that they believed was a viable product. Phase One suddenly discontinued the product. Phase One is therefore morally, and perhaps legally, obligated to provide a free license for the product the company recommends customers use as a replacement (Capture One).

I suggest Media Pro customers use the Support ticket system to officially make this request.
syncrasy

Postby Edgephoto » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 pm

While I would love a free license it will never happen. You bought a product and the fine print in the licensing agreement that you agree to when installing limits their liability. I bought my license less than a year ago.

I see they offered someone $100 on a C1 license. Wonder if that coupon code will work when it comes time for v. 12 upgrade? I am betting not.
Edgephoto

Postby syncrasy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Edgephoto wrote:While I would love a free license it will never happen. You bought a product and the fine print in the licensing agreement that you agree to when installing limits their liability. I bought my license less than a year ago.

I see they offered someone $100 on a C1 license. Wonder if that coupon code will work when it comes time for v. 12 upgrade? I am betting not.

You might be right. I was basing my argument on customer investment and reasonable expectations for a future upgrade path that has now been thwarted. Doesn't hurt to ask. I think the fact that a user asked for help and was offered a $100 coupon (where no such offer was given in the official email notice of MP discontinuation) proves my point -- this appears to be a negotiable matter.
syncrasy

Postby Edgephoto » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:08 am

syncrasy wrote:
Edgephoto wrote:While I would love a free license it will never happen. You bought a product and the fine print in the licensing agreement that you agree to when installing limits their liability. I bought my license less than a year ago.

You might be right. I was basing my argument on customer investment and reasonable expectations for a future upgrade path that has now been thwarted. Doesn't hurt to ask. I think the fact that a user asked for help and was offered a $100 coupon (where no such offer was given in the official email notice of MP discontinuation) proves my point -- this appears to be a negotiable matter.

I am sure they will offer coupons to those who ask. Within reason of course. I may ask and see if I get a coupon. I will use it for v 12 upgrade. It will be interesting to see if they do for all users or only ones who bought after a certain date.
Edgephoto

Postby roberte » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:07 am

syncrasy wrote:Another demand that I think is reasonable (as another user suggested in the Media Pro forum): a free license for Capture One.

It wouldn't be difficult or out of character for Phase One to do this. They did it after acquiring Expression Media.

If they offer a free Capture One 11 license the Media Pro "refugees" might pony up for the paid v12 upgrade due in a couple of months (based on previous upgrade cycles). Doesn't affect me as I'm already a C1 user :).
roberte

Previous

Return to Capture One 11.x Software