Media Pro refugees: What are our DAM demands?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony)012. x and 11.x

Re: Media Pro refugees: What are our DAM demands?

Postby syncrasy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 pm

I realized after starting this thread that there are separate Mac and Windows forums for Capture One, so I have decided to copy my original post to the Media Pro forum. I'll read both forums but to avoid duplicate labor I'll maintain the master list of demands on the Media Pro forum thread, where the most aggrieved customers are.
syncrasy

Postby Paul Dymond » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Yeah sorry, sunsets means subsets. It looks like they do map across although with different names from what everyone is saying. I received a reply from Phase One to simply say that it will still be available for download but doesn’t say whether the software can still be activated or not. I am presuming not as I can’t imagine they’re just giving it away for free now.
Paul Dymond

Postby Paul Dymond » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I realize it’s not going away, and for my own personal catalog that’s fine, I will continue to just use Media Pro SE but I build image databases for clients. These clients are mostly businesses in the government and tourism sectors that have large image collections, often with many duplicates, and Media Pro is (was!) a perfect solution for them and me. I can still create a catalog for them using Media Pro but presumably after the trial period of 30days is over they can no longer access their catalog. Which pretty much renders it useless for my purposes. It sounds like CO is nowhere near as capable a database programme as is Media Pro and although it is highly scriptable that is only if you are using a Mac, all of my clients use Windows systems. So I have just lost tens of thousands of dollars of work and my entire business with no forward warning whatsoever and am not too happy about it. I’m thinking that maybe I can build the catalogs in Media Pro and then import them into a CO catalog so that my Catalog Sets and child Catalog Sets will appear but the lack of an ability to email multiple images at once is a big loss. Not sure what to do.
Paul Dymond

Postby SFA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:Thanks for all the comments everyone. I realize it’s not going away, and for my own personal catalog that’s fine, I will continue to just use Media Pro SE but I build image databases for clients. These clients are mostly businesses in the government and tourism sectors that have large image collections, often with many duplicates, and Media Pro is (was!) a perfect solution for them and me. I can still create a catalog for them using Media Pro but presumably after the trial period of 30days is over they can no longer access their catalog. Which pretty much renders it useless for my purposes. It sounds like CO is nowhere near as capable a database programme as is Media Pro and although it is highly scriptable that is only if you are using a Mac, all of my clients use Windows systems. So I have just lost tens of thousands of dollars of work and my entire business with no forward warning whatsoever and am not too happy about it. I’m thinking that maybe I can build the catalogs in Media Pro and then import them into a CO catalog so that my Catalog Sets and child Catalog Sets will appear but the lack of an ability to email multiple images at once is a big loss. Not sure what to do.

Paul,

Have you asked the questions of Phase yet?

Grant
SFA

Postby syncrasy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:I can still create a catalog for them using Media Pro but presumably after the trial period of 30days is over they can no longer access their catalog. Which pretty much renders it useless for my purposes.

Can't your clients use the "reader" version of Media Pro. I think it's a free download.

"Media Pro SE 2.3 Reader for Windows"

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download/Software-Archive/Media-Pro-archive.aspx
syncrasy

Postby Paul Dymond » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 pm

I have asked Phase and the only answer I get is that Media Pro SE will no longer be sold but will always be available for download. No matter how I word the question. In other words it won’t be available for new users. And you’re right, there is a free Reader software but it’s pretty much useless. You can’t do anything with it apart from see the catalog really.
Paul Dymond

Postby syncrasy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:And you’re right, there is a free Reader software but it’s pretty much useless. You can’t do anything with it apart from see the catalog really.

Ah, I understand now. You are/were building working/editable catalogs, not just client views. Wow. I really feel bad for you. Maybe you could ask Phase One to allow multiple installations on your license so that your clients can continue working on your license. Maybe a long shot, but considering they killed the product, they won't be losing any money.
syncrasy

Postby Paul Dymond » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 pm

That’s right, I build working catalogs for clients to manage their image libraries so my entire business is sunk basically. I have messaged Phase One Support to see if they can extend my licence. Thank you so much, that is a great suggestion. In the meantime I guess I have no choice but to start convincing any clients going forward to use Capture One.
Paul Dymond

Postby SFA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am

Paul Dymond wrote:That’s right, I build working catalogs for clients to manage their image libraries so my entire business is sunk basically. I have messaged Phase One Support to see if they can extend my licence. Thank you so much, that is a great suggestion. In the meantime I guess I have no choice but to start convincing any clients going forward to use Capture One.

Or a completely different product - I think you have to consider that option if it is a business continuity matter.

Or perhaps put in a bid to obtain the software along with, perhaps, a new owner?

Just throwing some ideas in the air. After all Phase bought the product pre-owned!

Nik software was sucked into Google for a few years before being spat out again and passing to DxO.

All sorts of things can happen.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul Dymond » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks Grant, you’re right of course. A completely new product might be the only option but Media Pro was always the best option for my clients who don’t need the ability to manipulate images, just find them and use them. Any and all suggestions for alternative software is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately subscription based programmers such as Lightroom aren’t an option as most companies only want to pay once and forget. I’m playing around with Capture One at the moment and the Library module doesn’t seem too bad.
Paul Dymond

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:I’m playing around with Capture One at the moment and the Library module doesn’t seem too bad.

Don't neglect to check it out with a catalog of your maximum size. There can be slow down issues with over 10,000 images.
Eric Nepean

Postby roberte » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:Unfortunately subscription based programmers such as Lightroom aren’t an option as most companies only want to pay once and forget.

Hi Paul,

I would never recommend Capture One for DAM alone, as it now stands.

The DAM features in Lightroom are far better and free. The alpha testers for iView and Media Pro moved to LR and their influence has been instrumental in making Lightroom more robust for DAM. There is also better documentation and video content for using LR as a DAM.

Some caveats for recommending Capture One or Lightroom to clients as a Media Pro replacement:
  • It's a single user program
  • The main features are image processing
  • Due to above, UI can be daunting
  • Both catalogs are read/write so people can accidentally change them, whereas...
  • No Catalog Reader (LR did have a 3rd party one but no more) for viewing only
  • Designed as single catalog programs. Multiple catalogs are a hack to improve performance
  • Less powerful search
  • DAM not as "scriptable"/automated (LR does have far more DAM plugins than C1)
The future is cloud storage for assets and that's where Lightroom is heading. True DAM applications are already there but as raw shooters Adobe will still keep Lightroom on our desktops. Especially for Australians and the NBN!
roberte

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks Robert, I thought about LR as well. I have it on my computer in my Adobe bundle but it’s not really part of my workflow. Clients balk at it for the reason of it only being available on one computer per licence, and the whole subscription thing. Most companies realise they have a problem managing their images but don’t really want to spend money to fix it. Media Pro was always an easy sell because it made everything really simple for them, saved them time and money and they could pay once and use it forever. And I’m in Cairns so cloud based stuff is pretty hopeless up here. To tell you the truth what I’m leaning towards doing is using Media Pro to build the database - get rid of duplicates, rename generic camera file names, add folder names to keywords etc and then put images into Catalog Sets. Much easier to do this in Media Pro. Then when I’ve got it all cleaned up I can import it into Capture One where the catalog set structure will sill appear the same. To be honest all my clients really want to do is find stuff quickly and easily and use the images seamlessly. No email button is a nuisance but I can get around that by getting them to Export to files on their desktop and send it from there. An extra step to be sure but doable. The speed issue is a bit of a worry but I imported 55,000 images into a Capture One catalog and it was certainly slower but not too bad. Anyway I’m thinking I might be able to convince clients to shell out $429 for a three seat licence on Capture One. A workaround until the DAM capabilities in Capture One improve.
Paul Dymond

Postby C-F » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 am

On a Windows platform, have you looked into iMatch from photools.com?

No personal experience with it, just heard good things about it...(I am on apple/Mac platform only)

Cheers,
Franz
C-F

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:26 am

Thanks Franz, this looks really nice.
Paul Dymond

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 12.x and 11.x Software