Highlighting Images in an Album

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Highlighting Images in an Album

Postby PhaseoneUser110323 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:46 pm

G'Day all. I did a search for this here and read the manual and haven't found an answer, other than the possibility of a 3rd party Apple Scripts. I've recently come over from Lightroom, and so far the only thing I really miss from LR is when you place a photo in an album while in a general folder, hovering over the album will put a highlight border around the image in the broad folder. For example, if I'm in All Images and have a collection called "Moose" (for example), by hovering over the "Moose" collection in the sidebar, all images in that collection will be highlighted in the All Images window. This is a huge time saver, particularly when you go back and add older images to a collection that may be amid images that have already been placed in the collection. I've not been able to find any reference to a similar feature in C1, but I'm not sure how to search for that. Can anyone tell me if there is such a function, and if not, could I please make a request to the developers to look at putting that in? I'm finding it a really slow process in C1 to do that, even with the workarounds I've developed.

Thanks a bunch!

Glenn
Glenn
Glenn Davy Photography
http://www.glenndavy.com
PhaseoneUser110323

Re: Highlighting Images in an Album

Postby SFA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Glenn,

I assume your work arounds might include this but ...

If you have a way of selecting your Moose images by, for example, colour tag or keyword (the most obvious approach I can think of at the moment) you can quickly apply a filter to All Images and then Select all that appear. That gets the highlight frame.

Now remove the filter and the selection is maintained.

I appreciate it is not the same as you are used to but when you have selected the Moose collection in your present process by hovering over the name can you activate that in some way so that the highlight frames are maintained whilst you carry one with what you wanted to do? I have no idea - hence the question.

If your Moose collection does not have an easy filter option then select it, followed by "select all" to highlight them then apply an identifier to all of the selected images - for example an otherwise unused colour tag or a keyword of some sort.

Now go to All Images, filter using the colour tag of keyword, select all that are chosen and then remove the filter to get the rest of All Images back on screen.

If that's what you are already doing that you have found the simplest approach I can think of. However other may have something better for you so I will follow the thread with interest.

Grant
SFA

Postby PhaseoneUser110323 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Hey Grant,

Thanks much for this. Yes, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm applying a colour tag to the images when I move them into the "Moose" album. Doing it this way though means I will have to keep that tag for the "moose" shots as if I go back in 6 months to add more moose shots, the only way I'll be able to tell if they are already there or not is by the colour tag (without having to go into the Moose album to see if an image is there then back out to the main bank to add the intended new image). The problem with this is that I work with a lot of albums, and there just aren't enough colour tags to code each one, so it's a process I'd have to repeat each time I wanted to add new photographs. It is doable of course, but it's a lot more work and sure slows me down. Anyway, I just wondered if there was something I was missing, but it doesn't sound like it. Thanks very much for your input Grant. Appreciate that.
Glenn
Glenn Davy Photography
PhaseoneUser110323

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:49 pm

PhaseoneUser110323 wrote:.... Can anyone tell me if there is such a function, and if not, could I please make a request to the developers to look at putting that in? I'm finding it a really slow process in C1 to do that, even with the workarounds I've developed.
Such a function does not exist in Capture One
PhaseoneUser110323 wrote:if not, could I please make a request to the developers
It's as simple as open a ticket and describe your request. While making the request is simple and straightforward, there are no guarantees about when and if the request gets acted on may be fast or may be never.

IMO a better way to indicate images with a similar topic is to use keywords. You don't ever run out of keywords, and they can be filtered and seached just like colours.

Another choice may be the Applescript that I'm about to publish, which adds images not in any user album to a user album named "Not In Any User Album" (this album is of course ignored in the search of user Albums). A previous version that I've published records the result in a TextEdit file.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby SFA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 pm

PhaseoneUser110323 wrote:Hey Grant,

Thanks much for this. Yes, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm applying a colour tag to the images when I move them into the "Moose" album. Doing it this way though means I will have to keep that tag for the "moose" shots as if I go back in 6 months to add more moose shots, the only way I'll be able to tell if they are already there or not is by the colour tag (without having to go into the Moose album to see if an image is there then back out to the main bank to add the intended new image). The problem with this is that I work with a lot of albums, and there just aren't enough colour tags to code each one, so it's a process I'd have to repeat each time I wanted to add new photographs. It is doable of course, but it's a lot more work and sure slows me down. Anyway, I just wondered if there was something I was missing, but it doesn't sound like it. Thanks very much for your input Grant. Appreciate that.

Hi Glenn,

I can see the problem there with the colour tag. It's quick, simple to do and visible but has limits.

Less visible but more flexible would be a keyword or two. (Or some other EXIF/IPTC field value shared between the images in the collection you want to work with.) Same idea to make it work via an initial filter.

If you wish to make a request for a possible enhancement be aware that this is just a User to User forum primarily.

The best approach for putting forward an formal suggestion is to create a Support Case. That will get the idea into the Phase CRM system and present it to the product teams for formal assessment of popularity (number of requests) and desirability, taking into account development effort and any technology constraints that might be in play.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby PhaseoneUser110323 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am

@Eric - thanks for this. I may well put in a support ticket but I don't expect it to go far. You're right, of course, about using keywords and I certainly can do that. However, it's a little less obvious that way than with the colour tag, but of course it's not volatile. The only place where I could see that being a wee bit of a problem is if I go with a stock agency that asks the photographer to keyword his/her images, in which case you would have to remember to delete that keyword before sending it out. However, so far the agencies I've dealt with do their own keywording so yes, your solution (and I believe Grant mentioned it as well) is logical. Appreciate the help.

@Grant - See above but I agree and I think it's the route I will go in terms of using keywords instead. Thanks once again for your input.

In all, this is not that huge a deal as the workarounds mentioned are very viable and easy to employ. I'm still getting used to C1 over LR so this may partly be just getting used to a new way of doing things. That should end pretty quick. C1, particularly with its processing power and just the way my images look out of the box, is such a superb program that I'm completely sold on it, so as I say, this is a pretty minor thing. Thanks again folks for the assist. Really appreciate it.
Glenn
Glenn Davy Photography
PhaseoneUser110323

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac