Other software used with Capture One Pro

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Other software used with Capture One Pro

Postby Francesco Mariani » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:34 am

Hello,

I am about to jump in and migrate from Aperture to Capture One. I am curious as to what other software people use with Capture One Pro.

Since I'm migrating, I've looked at many different programs, and keep getting marketing emails badgering me to pay for updates for software that I used with Aperture. As far as I can tell, only Lightroom and Capture One can import Aperture libraries.

DxO OpticsPro - I occasionally use Aperture plugin called Catapult to send raw image to DxO OpticsPr for better raw processing
DxO ViewPoint 3 - used to correct perspective
Luminar - not using it but they keep promising a DAM to beat all DAMs and they wish that I buy before the DAM is released
Mylio - considering using this to have access to all my photos online
Nik Collection - I use Silver Efex Pro 2 for black and white conversion
Photo Mechanic 5 - not using
MacPhun Noiseless Pro - haven't used
Affinity Photo - not using - no DAM?
Pixelmator - not using
ON1 Photo Raw - cannot remember why I used this
Adobe Lightroom - do not want to use
Topaz Studio - not using, but appears to have interesting tools

So, what cannot be done in Capture One? Which plugins or external programs are handy to use with Capture One?

Thanks,

Francis.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6 • Aperture 3.6
Migrating to Capture One Pro 11.1
Francesco Mariani

Re: Other software used with Capture One Pro

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 am

I'd comment on a few of these as follows.

If you only occasionally send a raw image to DxO for raw processing, you really don't need a plugin to do so. It's not that hard just to use the Open with command in Capture One.*

I (occasionally) use Affinity Photo to do a few things that I can't do in Capture One like more extensive cloning and retouching, stitching panoramas, HDR, that kind of thing. Mostly for the inpainting brush to get rid of objects in a picture that would be difficult to do in Capture One (which is after all not a pixel editor). Affinity rather than Photoshop on cost grounds, mainly. I can't see a need to have multiple apps as alternatives to that - so no need for Pixelmator, etc.

I work with Sessions not Catalogs in Capture One (partly because that is how I started out, and I have never got round to getting my head round the Catalog approach).But I also use Media Pro to catalog images. It reads Capture One adjustments.

ON1: I downloaded a trial recently out of curiosity. The lag on using a local adjustment brush was several seconds, which makes it completely unusable. Perhaps it would need a more modern Mac than I have if it was to work well.

Ian

*I'd be interested to know what kind of situations make you want to use an alternative raw processor like DxO sometimes.
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 am

Ian3 wrote:But I also use Media Pro to catalog images. It reads Capture One adjustments.
[......]
Ian

Thanks for the info, Ian, I didn't know that !! Does Media Pro read ALL the C1 adjustments (WB, crops, exposure, curves, layers,...) ? If this were the case, I could switch to sessions, as my catalog becomes bigger and bigger.... What prevented me to use catalog softwares until now is that most of them can read and display the original RAW only.
tenmangu81

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:29 am

Yes it reads it all. It can even bring in keywords - for instance I added a hierarchical keyword to an image the other day before I forgot what the species of dragonfly it was I had seen, and it got picked up in Media Pro. There has sometimes been a bit of a delay between a new version of Capture One coming out and Media Pro supporting it. So there was a several months' delay before it supported Capture One 10 adjustments, but it was pretty quick for version 11. You can download a 30 day trial. It is slightly old-fashioned software, perhaps, and the way it works takes a bit of getting used to. There are video tutorials on the Phase One channel on YouTube. They are several years old, but nothing about how the app works has changed: upgrades have just updated the support for new C1 versions. It is comparatively expensive I suppose, but I have had it for some time so I have paid upgrade prices only for years.

Ian
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks Ian. I'll have a try.
tenmangu81

Postby Francesco Mariani » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Ian,

I occasionally use DxO Optics Pro to process raw images that were poorly exposed - I felt DxO Optics Pro did a better job than Aperture at improving the image.

I am curious as to why Media Pro exists - wouldn't the Capture One Pro DAM do everything that Media Pro can?

Cheers,

Francis.
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
Francesco Mariani

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Media Pro (or its predecessor apps, like Expression Media) predates Capture One having catalog capability. It is just a DAM app, really, but very capable. (MP can be used to catalog other media as well as photographs including movies, sound files and fonts, I believe, though I don't use it for that.)

I can tag images with hierarchical keywords, places, people, events and so on. The important thing to me is being able to find photos of a particular person, or a bird, or animal or whatever. So I can find all my images of, say, Peregrine Falcons, from any date, very quickly and easily. I believe there is a limit of something like 128,000 images in a Media Pro catalog, though I am only up to to just under 30,000 at the moment. If that becomes too unwieldy, I could have more smaller catalogs and yet still search for images of Peregrine Falcons across all my catalogs, whether they are open or not. I don't think Capture One can do that. Someone who uses Capture One catalogs extensively may have more to say, and I am not at all experienced in Capture One catalogs. I could probably use a Capture One catalog if I bothered to take the time to learn how to use it properly, but working in sessions is a fairly ingrained habit.

The MP Help system is nowhere near as good as the Capture One help, but the tutorial videos on YouTube are good.

It will be interesting to know whether in due course you think that DxO does a better job than Capture One for some images.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Francesco Mariani » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Ian, thanks for your response.
I can tag images with hierarchical keywords, places, people, events and so on. The important thing to me is being able to find photos of a particular person, or a bird, or animal or whatever
I assume Capture One can do that, albeit slowly.

I've read that Capture One has great raw processing, so I don't think I'll be using DxO for that.

I'm not a professional - I'm not making any money from my photography, but I do like having a good tool to edit my photos. I'm looking for a good DAM and good non-destructive editing, which Capture One does well, but I've read it's quite slow with large catalogs.

Thanks,

Francis.
Francesco Mariani

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Francesco Mariani wrote:Ian, thanks for your response.
I can tag images with hierarchical keywords, places, people, events and so on. The important thing to me is being able to find photos of a particular person, or a bird, or animal or whatever
I assume Capture One can do that, albeit slowly.

I've read that Capture One has great raw processing, so I don't think I'll be using DxO for that.

I'm not a professional - I'm not making any money from my photography, but I do like having a good tool to edit my photos. I'm looking for a good DAM and good non-destructive editing, which Capture One does well, but I've read it's quite slow with large catalogs.

Thanks,

Francis.

Yes Capture One certainly can do that too. I'm not sure if it would be better for me to do my editing and my cataloguing all in one or not, but I would have to do a fair bit of work to transfer for now. And I am not a professional either.

Ian
Ian3

Postby digger1914 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 pm

I use C1 with catalogs, using referenced files. For my initial scanning and renaming I use Photo Mechanic and if I need to do editing beyond the scope of CI I round trip to Affinity Photo. Once there I can use the NIK plugin if desired.

This seems to work for me!
digger1914

Three Things Capture One does not do

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 am

Things that Capture One does not do:
  1. HDR merge of bracketed images
  2. Focus merge of an image sequence
  3. Image Stacking (grouping) for brackets and sequences
The export of a group of images for a merge (for HDR or focus or panorama) doesn't work with any tool that I have found.
I gather it works with Helicon Focus.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Francesco Mariani » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks digger and eric.
Francesco Mariani

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac