Caprure 1 and Blackmagic eGPU for Mac

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Caprure 1 and Blackmagic eGPU for Mac

Postby wok4 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Good morning!

New to C1: I just cancelled my Adobe-Subscripion and bought C1 11 for Mac.
I also ordered the new Blackmagic eGPU for my MacBook Pro 2017.

Does C1 automatically uses this GPU?

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang
wok4

Re: Caprure 1 and Blackmagic eGPU for Mac

Postby NN321832UL » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 am

Good evening,

I just hooked up a Blackmagic Design eGPU to my 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I am using it with an LG 5K display that Apple sells.

After hooking up the eGPU, restarting the Mac and diving into Capture One, here is what I found:
- I had my Capture One preferences set to use Hardware Acceleration before the eGPU, to use the hardware built into the MBP. When I started C1 the first time with the eGPU, Capture One went thru about a 30 second activity "Setting up Hardware Acceleration", so it definitely recognized the new hardware.
- I immediately noticed faster rendering of the images. I also noticed that tasks like mask drawing on adjustment layers was much smoother with no delays or skipping as I drew the masks and it rendered the visible mask.
- I found that Styles rendered quickly, with nearly no delay as you scroll thru the Style lists. Also, Base Characteristics curves render quickly as you move thru the selections.

For the record, the RAW files are 5184 x 3888 Olympus .ORF files from the E-M1 Mark II.

But I also found an issue that I will need to work a bit. I scan 120 film images occasionally and I have been storing these as .DNG files. The largest files are 6x17 images that are 200 MB (10480 x 3536) or larger. I am not sure they need to be this large, but that is what I have right now. Rendering these now causes C1 to crash. To recover, I need to pull the original files out of their normal location so C1 can't find the file to render when I reload the catalog. Disconnecting the eGPU doesn't fix the crash. C1 used to deal with them OK. I'll need to see if another format would work better than .DNG and also if things work better with smaller files.

Just as a check of large files, I found a RAW file shot with a Phase One IQ3 100MP back on the internet. It rendered quickly with no issues, and once again, scrolling thru Styles rendered quickly.

Anyway, overall I am pleased with the performance increase I am seeing with this eGPU. As always, your mileage may vary...

Best regards,
Tim
NN321832UL

Postby wok4 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Hey Tim!

Thanks for your answer. That was nearly what I hoped for. I use the same setup, except I just ordered the new i9 machine...

:D

(and now the eGPU also!)

Wolfgang
wok4

Postby Shredface » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm curious about this too. Does CP1 use enough of the graphics card to make the blackmagic worth it? Sounds like you're getting a performance increase when editing, which is exciting. What about tethering and processing? Will it boost on-set performance?
Shredface

Postby Christoph28 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Here are a few numbers:

20 IQ250 files, processed to jpeg and tiff 16-bit, full size, on the following machines:

MacBook Pro 15", early 2013:
6 min 30

Macbook Pro 13" 2018, i7, 16GB, 1TB:
4 min 14

MacBook Pro 13" 2018, i7, 16GB, 1TB with Blackmagig eGPU:
1 min 37

MacBook Pro 15 2018, i9, 32GB, 1TB:
2 min 32

All machines run High Sierra with the latest patch for the 2018 models.

BTW:
The eGPU is quite silent bu you can still hear the fan. I'd prefer to have it under my desk.

The MacBook 13" gets quite warm - much warmer than the 15". And the fans start pretty soon.

Chris
Christoph28

Postby wok4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, Chris.

The last test missing would be the 15 WITH eGPU...
Interesting in so far, that the eGPU stays the same, and one could see what the better processor is worth...

:D

Wolfgang
wok4

Postby Wesley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Christoph28 wrote:Here are a few numbers:

20 IQ250 files, processed to jpeg and tiff 16-bit, full size, on the following machines:

MacBook Pro 15", early 2013:
6 min 30

Macbook Pro 13" 2018, i7, 16GB, 1TB:
4 min 14

MacBook Pro 13" 2018, i7, 16GB, 1TB with Blackmagig eGPU:
1 min 37

MacBook Pro 15 2018, i9, 32GB, 1TB:
2 min 32

All machines run High Sierra with the latest patch for the 2018 models.

BTW:
The eGPU is quite silent bu you can still hear the fan. I'd prefer to have it under my desk.

The MacBook 13" gets quite warm - much warmer than the 15". And the fans start pretty soon.

Chris

Very helpful data. Have you tested eGPU with the 15 inches?
Mac: Late 2011 15" MBP - 16GB 1333MHz - 500GB 850 EVO
Windows: 5.1GHz 9900K - 32GB 3200MHz - 1070 Ti - (2) 1TB 970 EVO
Camera: Nikon D3100, D700, D750
Wesley

Postby Brian Jones » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Wesley wrote:Very helpful data. Have you tested eGPU with the 15 inches?

Thank you for posting. I'm interested to see what the result is. I was suprised that my new i9 MBP 40% slower that my Mac Pro with Dual D500's. Hope an Egpu would will be a turbo charger.
Brian Jones
Freelance Digital Tech
Seattle, Washington USA
http://www.PhotoSupportNW.com
Brian Jones
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Capture 1 and Blackmagic eGPU for Mac

Postby hyperlinked » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 am

I've been test driving the Blackmagic eGPU with Capture One Pro 11 and my results aren't so positive. I have a 2016 MBP with a Radeon Pro 460 GPU and an LG Ultrafine 5K. I performed an image export test and indeed did find an approximately 20% better performance in total export time when using the eGPU vs when not. Furthermore, my MBP stayed cooler with the eGPU plugged in.

So it's not a night and day difference, but a performance improvement is a performance improvement. Unfortunately, that improvement is more than negated by the photo viewer being significantly slower when an eGPU is connected. When I navigate through my catalog, the images take longer to render and there's more lag in navigation.

I got the eGPU specifically in hopes that it would speed up the browsing and cataloging features in Capture One Pro, but instead it slowed it down. I'm guessing that the digital asset management features of Capture One Pro rely heavily on the CPU and introducing an eGPU introduces a source of lag when the bits have to flow in both directions.

Has anyone else noticed this too or does anyone have any suggestions that might remedy this situation?
hyperlinked

Postby gusferlizi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 am

hyperlinked wrote:I've been test driving the Blackmagic eGPU with Capture One Pro 11 and my results aren't so positive. I have a 2016 MBP with a Radeon Pro 460 GPU and an LG Ultrafine 5K. I performed an image export test and indeed did find an approximately 20% better performance in total export time when using the eGPU vs when not. Furthermore, my MBP stayed cooler with the eGPU plugged in.

So it's not a night and day difference, but a performance improvement is a performance improvement. Unfortunately, that improvement is more than negated by the photo viewer being significantly slower when an eGPU is connected. When I navigate through my catalog, the images take longer to render and there's more lag in navigation.

I got the eGPU specifically in hopes that it would speed up the browsing and cataloging features in Capture One Pro, but instead it slowed it down. I'm guessing that the digital asset management features of Capture One Pro rely heavily on the CPU and introducing an eGPU introduces a source of lag when the bits have to flow in both directions.

Has anyone else noticed this too or does anyone have any suggestions that might remedy this situation?

Have you set the preview resolution to 5k?
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby JRomer79 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Sorry I am late to this post, but I am looking to upgrade to a new MacBook Pro from my older 2011 MBPr. I process lots os sporting event pics, some formal portraits, and also process some movies. I'm still semi-pro at best since I work a full time job and do lots more, so I am making this investment to speed things up work in my case. I shoot many sporting events and process 800 to 1000 pictures a week, all Canon Raw files (7D MKII, 5 MK III/IV). My 2011 MPPr handles this ok but the 20+ minute exports and lags in processing certain edits and effects causes issues. I use Final Cut Pro X for the occasional movie and it is with movies that the power of the new system may make the biggest difference, but speeding up C1 11 would be a very good thing too.

The tests you posted were great help but would like to see results on the i9 with the eGPU. I have read a review elsewhere that seems to show that processing with the i9 CPU with the eGPU was actually slower than processing on the 15 MPB without using the eGPU. That gave me pause for concern. Have you tested that configuration? Did you see these results?

Overall I hope Capture One is optimized over time to really put eGPUs to work, as I hope for Final Cut Pro X.

Anyone else have any experience with the i9 and a eGPU yet?

Thanks for your patience!
JRomer79

Postby hyperlinked » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 pm

gusferlizi wrote:Have you set the preview resolution to 5k?

Nope. I'll give that a try, but that still wouldn't change that the eGPU appears to be creating a bottleneck for the image browser.
hyperlinked

Postby hyperlinked » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:54 pm

JRomer79 wrote:Anyone else have any experience with the i9 and a eGPU yet?

I'm not using an i9, but you may be interested in my comment above where I mentioned that the eGPU appears to cause the image browser to bottleneck. If you're using Capture One Pro for digital asset management, this has got to be a huge concern for you with your 800+ photos a week.

The speed boost that I'm seeing in exporting photos and also reflected in the benchmarks of the OP appear to indicate that the eGPU isn't a game changer if you have a loaded MBP.
hyperlinked

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:36 am

hyperlinked wrote:I've been test driving the Blackmagic eGPU with Capture One Pro 11 and my results aren't so positive. I have a 2016 MBP with a Radeon Pro 460 GPU and an LG Ultrafine 5K. I performed an image export test and indeed did find an approximately 20% better performance in total export time when using the eGPU vs when not. Furthermore, my MBP stayed cooler with the eGPU plugged in.

I suppose you can try turning off OpenCL, quit CO, and turning it back on again if you haven't already done so.

Post your CO GPU benchmark in ImageCore. Also what does it list OpenCL and GPU driver version as?
Mac: Late 2011 15" MBP - 16GB 1333MHz - 500GB 850 EVO
Windows: 5.1GHz 9900K - 32GB 3200MHz - 1070 Ti - (2) 1TB 970 EVO
Camera: Nikon D3100, D700, D750
Wesley

Postby hyperlinked » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Wesley wrote:I suppose you can try turning off OpenCL, quit CO, and turning it back on again if you haven't already done so.

Post your CO GPU benchmark in ImageCore. Also what does it list OpenCL and GPU driver version as?

How do I get those scores? I didn't do any systematic benchmarking when I was evaluating. I'm not sure how to turn off OpenCL either, but what would that do anyway? Wouldn't both my onboard Radeon 460 and the external Radeon RX 580 be similarly affected?
hyperlinked

Next

Return to Capture One 11.x Software