Import Aperture Library with Image Version Names

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Import Aperture Library with Image Version Names

Postby NNN636654098655209318 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:46 am

Just starting to migrate from Aperture to C1. First import of my Aperture Library did not show the names of my images in my Aperture Library (version names, when I look at them). I didn't see any options after identifying my Aperture library in the import process (but may have been an oversight).

Have deleted my Aperture catalogue in C1 and want to try again to include the version names. Can this be done and, if so, how?
NNN636654098655209318

Re: Import Aperture Library with Image Version Names

Postby NNN636654098655209318 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Never mind ... found the solution after more digging. Rename Masters in Aperture replacing with Version Names then import into C1.

So far, so good.
NNN636654098655209318

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 pm

NNN636654098655209318 wrote:Never mind ... found the solution after more digging. Rename Masters in Aperture replacing with Version Names then import into C1.

So far, so good.

My imports from Aperture to CaptureOne incolved over a dozen trial imports before I got everything sorted out.

I made the folllowing changes:
  • Copied all version names to master file names
  • Unified and Cleaned up my various image naming systems
  • Flattened all hierarchical keywords
    • like this: "kw1 | l kw2 | kw3"
    • C1 correctly interprets this as hierarchical keywords
  • Flattened all multilayer TIFFs and PSDs
  • Fixed all files with one dimension less than 512 pixels to be slightly larger than 512 pixels
    • Two methods:
      • Add a border
      • Use an interpolation algorithm to double the size
  • Removed all uneditable files from the Library
    • Convert to flattened TIF or PSD where possible
    • Remove all video and audio files
  • Added a keyword for each adjustment type
  • Created an Album for each stack
    • A better choice that I've discovered since is to enter the Stack Name into one of the metadata fields
      • e.g. store the name of the first (earliest) image in the stack in the "Image Location" metadata field
  • Convert all Smart Albums to Albums

Applescript makes this work much quicker. Here is an example:
Code: Select all
-- Change the Aperture Version Name from "V" to "G1" and fix the format

tell application "Aperture"
   set selectedImages to (get selection)
end tell

if selectedImages is {} then
   error "No images selected -  select one or more images"
else
   repeat with i from 1 to count of selectedImages
      set thisImage to item i of selectedImages
         tell library 1
            tell thisImage
               set versionName to (get value of other tag "VersionName") as string

try
                  set imageDate to value of EXIF tag "ImageDate"
                  set exifAccessFlag to true
               on error errText number errNum
                  log "Access to " & versionName & " failed with error number " & errNum
               end try

end tell
         end tell
      end tell

if exifAccessFlag = false then
         log versionName & " unchanged due to bad exif data; error number " & errNum
      else

set nameLength to count of versionName
         if nameLength < 5 then
            log versionName & " unchanged due to name too short: " & nameLength

else
            set oldInitials to (get characters 1 thru 2 of versionName)
            set oldimageYear to (the year of imageDate) as string

if oldimageYear ≠ "2007" and oldInitials ≠ "ba" then

log versionName & "has bad Initials: " & oldInitials & "  or Year: " & oldimageYear
            else

set oldshortYear to "-" & ((get characters 3 thru 4 of oldimageYear) as string) & "_"
               -- set newimageYear to ((1 + (oldimageYear as number)) as string)
               -- set newshortYear to ((get characters 3 thru 4 of ((1 + (oldimageYear as number)) as string)) as string)
               set newshortYear to "-" & ((get characters 3 thru 4 of ((1 + (oldimageYear as number)) as string)) as string) & "_"

log {oldshortYear, newshortYear, versionName}

set versionNameNew to my replace_text(versionName, oldshortYear, newshortYear)
                  tell library 1
                     log "From " & versionName & " To " & versionNameNew
                     set name of thisImage to versionNameNew
                  end tell
               end tell
            end if
         end if         
      end if
   end repeat
end if

on replace_text(this_text, search_string, replacement_string)
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the search_string
   set the item_list to every text item of this_text
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the replacement_string
   set this_text to the item_list as string
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
   return this_text
end replace_text
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby mmjaeger » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:15 pm

out of curiosity and because I'm badly struggling getting from Aperture to C1, how many pictures do you have in your Aperture library - referenced, or managed?
mmjaeger

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:23 am

mmjaeger wrote:out of curiosity and because I'm badly struggling getting from Aperture to C1, how many pictures do you have in your Aperture library - referenced, or managed?

I had about 16000 images, now closer to 18000. I completed my migration about 18 months ago, I have more C1 experience now.

I found that being very methodical in the migration helped, but it took some time.

What problems are you encountering, perhaps I can help?
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby mmjaeger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:48 am

Eric Nepean wrote:
mmjaeger wrote:out of curiosity and because I'm badly struggling getting from Aperture to C1, how many pictures do you have in your Aperture library - referenced, or managed?

I had about 16000 images, now closer to 18000. I completed my migration about 18 months ago, I have more C1 experience now.

I found that being very methodical in the migration helped, but it took some time.

Thanks Eric
really appreciate your feedback - I have serious doubt that C1 is usable at all with a larger catalog - I have about 120,000 pictures in my Aperture library and it still works pretty well on High Sierra - however C1 struggles with this many pictures - the catalog opens and sometimes C1 is just not responding for minutes if not hours and the beachball is running all the time - I'd love to use C1 to finally replace Aperture but I'm not sure whether this is the way to go.
mmjaeger

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 am

mmjaeger wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:

Thanks Eric
really appreciate your feedback - I have serious doubt that C1 is usable at all with a larger catalog - I have about 120,000 pictures in my Aperture library and it still works pretty well on High Sierra - however C1 struggles with this many pictures - the catalog opens and sometimes C1 is just not responding for minutes if not hours and the beachball is running all the time - I'd love to use C1 to finally replace Aperture but I'm not sure whether this is the way to go.

120,000 is a lot of images. I have heard other users with 40,000 and 50,00 images say they have have decent performance. As long as I'm careful with "Filter Tool" I occaisionally have a a minute or so of beachballing when the 16000 image catalog opens.
I just looked up one of your previous postings, which has given me some more info:
mmjaeger on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:11 am wrote:@Eric:
We're talking about 16 libraries ranging from 104MB up to 9.3GB - there are two libraries that have about 22,000 pics init it - all the others have less than 10,000 or even way less than that - pics are all references and are stored on a LaCie 2big 6TB HD connected using usb-c/thunderbolt 3.
the new catalog I'm trying to create is on the internal SSD drive. all files are jpeg files from a variety of Sony cams - no antivirus is running - keywords are not nested - all flat keywords
Thanks again for replying

I think your storage strategy is pretty good. A couple of things to check however:
1) How much free space is on your SSD with the C1 catalogs. With low free space, an SSD can slow right down.
2) What is the read-write speed on that SSD? I bought a Samsung 850 PRO SSD, and have been very disappointed by the read write speeds, occasionally as much as 10x lower than expected. I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD (non -PRO) version, which has much better better read write speeds. I've heard others complaining about a similar problem. I've used BlackMagic Drive Speed tester and DiskMark to test the SSD speeds. Putting a cheap enclosure around the SSD can also slow things down.
3) On a large album, Capture Ones "Filter Tool" can be a massive resource hog. And the default tab is the Library tab, so it's active most of the time. When you selecte "All Images", and there are over 10,000 images, Filter Tool can cause extremely long delays. I have removed it from my Library Tab, and put it on it's own custom tab.I never use it in "All Images" You might want to remove Filter Tool from the Library Tab to see if that make a difference.

These seem to me to be the most likely fixes, but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily so. Whether these make a difference for you or not, please post back. Either way we will have both learned something, and if not the solution then we can look at some of the more obsure possibilities.

If you have your Aperture Images already split into several Libraries as you have posted above, it's likely easier not to combine them into one 120,000 image monolith in C1, I'd suggest staying around the 30,000 to 40,000 image level until you get things working right.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby mmjaeger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for replying Eric - I think C1 has some serious performance and/or memory leak issues - splitting up my Aperture library by years was only for importing them into C1 - the whole purpose of having a catalog is the filter/search option - when looking up e.g. Lake Powell I'd like to see all pictures of Lake Powell incl. the previous years - if I cannot do that I don't need a catalog - the most surprising thing to me is that Aperture that hasn't seen any update/fix in years works way better in terms of managing the pictures than C1 - I have to think of a different strategy how to organize my pictures - maybe Photo Mechanic.
I love the UI of C1 and it is fairly easy to use but I don't think it's up for the job - often after hours of beach balling with no activities showing in the activity window I get a popup that the system ran out of application memory - never had that with any other program.
mmjaeger

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:37 pm

mmjaeger wrote:Thanks for replying Eric - I think C1 has some serious performance and/or memory leak issues - splitting up my Aperture library by years was only for importing them into C1 - the whole purpose of having a catalog is the filter/search option - when looking up e.g. Lake Powell I'd like to see all pictures of Lake Powell incl. the previous years - if I cannot do that I don't need a catalog - the most surprising thing to me is that Aperture that hasn't seen any update/fix in years works way better in terms of managing the pictures than C1 - I have to think of a different strategy how to organize my pictures - maybe Photo Mechanic.

There may be no perfect solution at this point. Aperture still has the best DAM manager of any tool out there.

You may be faced with a choice between
  • a tool witth really good DAM but not such a great editor
  • a tool witth a great editor but not so great DAM
  • Two tools, one a good editor, the other a good DAM
I love the UI of C1 and it is fairly easy to use but I don't think it's up for the job - often after hours of beach balling with no activities showing in the activity window I get a popup that the system ran out of application memory - never had that with any other program.

If you are getting "system ran out of application memory" then no C1 user can help you with that. Fundamentally that's a developer issue somewhat mitigated by installing more RAM. (I assume that you have installed more than just basic RAM - Iam using 24GB)

I have seen little discussion and few complaints in the forum about "system ran out of application memory". So there is little likiihood thhat someone can report any workaround.

I have observed that certain Applescript commands to Capture One can induce a very long wait state & beachball session when there are many images in the collection. But this does not result in an out of memory error, at least not with 16,000 images. I have developed an Applescript command profiler, and reported the results in the scripting forum and to the Capture One Development team. But this is not your problem, you are not using Applescripts on Capture One.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby mmjaeger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:49 pm

You're right, my main issue at this point is having a reliable DAM or maybe just use PhotoMechanic to do the renaming and tagging - Aperture still does a good job - I also copied/converted my aperture library into a Photo Library and I was impressed by its performance - I just have to figure out some new workflow in case Aperture stops working - I have not tried yet with Mojave but I wouldn't be surprised if it would not work anymore.

In general I'm just wondering how other people deal with this kind of many pictures and how a possible workflow would look like - I'm not doing weddings and stuff like that - just almost daily landscape and wildlife shots.

Once again, thanks for your input
mmjaeger

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:51 am

For me Mojave is about a year away. I don't usually update my OSX until Apple reaches the 4th dot release, and they get all the bugs nicely worked out. Usually May or June.

BTW my current project is writing an autcoker for Capture One, which will do the same for my Panasonic and Olymmpus cameras as I used to have in Aperture. Almost there, fixed up the UI so the user can configure it without writing code.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby Francesco Mariani » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I am a reluctant Aperture to Capture One switcher - I've purchased the software but have not yet migrated. I have 78,000 images in my Aperture library and it sounds like I had better clean up duplicates and rejects in Aperture and not in Capture One, post migration.

It truly is disappointing that a software that hasn't been updated since around March 2015 works faster than one that was updated this month, And it cost a quarter of the price.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6 • Aperture 3.6
Migrating to Capture One Pro 11.1
Francesco Mariani

Postby mmjaeger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:56 am

@Francesco - you're absolutely right - C1 should get their act together and fix these issues
mmjaeger

Postby Francesco Mariani » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:BTW my current project is writing an autcoker for Capture One, which will do the same for my Panasonic and Olymmpus cameras as I used to have in Aperture. Almost there, fixed up the UI so the user can configure it without writing code.

Eric, would you please explain what this tool is. I have an Olympus camera and am curious about your plugin.

Cheers,

Francis.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II
MacBook Pro - Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor - 16 GB RAM
macOS Sierra - 10.12.6 • Aperture 3.6
Migrating to Capture One Pro 11.1
Francesco Mariani

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Francesco Mariani wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:BTW my current project is writing an autcoker for Capture One, which will do the same for my Panasonic and Olymmpus cameras as I used to have in Aperture. Almost there, fixed up the UI so the user can configure it without writing code.

Eric, would you please explain what this tool is. I have an Olympus camera and am curious about your plugin.

Cheers,

Francis.

Hi Francis

Here is an early version of the script
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=28357

The idea is as follows:
Identify images which are part of sequence by reading the information about "burst" and "bracket" from the image exif data.
Then mark those image sequences in the image metadata,.
Finally the image sequence can be selected using the Filter Tool.
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac