Seeking for a Color Space on my NEF file

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Seeking for a Color Space on my NEF file

Postby Gabriel Matula » Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 am

Hello guys,

I am pretty new in Capture One, and I was just wondering if there are some way to realize which color space my photos were taken in ? Due I was a bit careless with this during the past year and now I might have bunch of shoots in sRGB and few others in AdobeRGB. Does somebody can help ?

Thanks.
Gabriel Matula

Re: Seeking for a Color Space on my NEF file

Postby HansB » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

NEF files are raw sensor pixel readouts. They don't have a standard color space like sRGB or AdobeRGB.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby tenmangu81 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Gabriel,

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG ? Only when you are shooting JPEG "out of camera" (OOC) a then chosen color space (sRGB or Adobe RGB) is relevant.
For NEF (RAW) files, there is no color space, as emphasized by Hans.
tenmangu81

Postby Nature Isme » Tue May 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Look at the Metadata. Under the "Basic" category is "Color Space". There you'll find both the file format (Raw, JPEG, TIFF, etc.) and the color space if shooting something other than Raw or DNG.
Nature Isme

Postby SFA » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

For Canon and (I think) Nikon the default naming for in-camera jpg images can identify the Colour Space.

For Canon if the default file name starts IMG it's sRGB and if it is _MG its Adobe RGB. (For those bodies that default naming scheme.)

If you have imported and renamed based on something that does not include the *MG part of the default name then you certainly need to dive into the metadata.

I'm not sure if and how other manufacturers deal with this.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software