Importing new folders and browsing folders

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Importing new folders and browsing folders

Postby NN635462462375053713UL » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 am

Hello,
Is there a fast way to sync a folder heirarchy for C1 to find new folders with images and import them into the library?
When using "sync", C1 11.1.1 appears to only find images in folders that are already present. I've read that you have to import each folder (which is not fast or elegant) unless you use "import".

When using "import", instead, even of a subfolder (eg 2018), then it does find the new folders, however, when it does import the new ones, you have to wait for your filters to be updated from new (ie. when selecting "all images" from catalog collections, the various filters you've chosen in the filter pane (eg. all of the lens focal lengths, apertures) are reset and C1 seems to read the metadata of every single image in your collection to repopulate them. Doing this for 200 000 files takes 20+ minutes, thich makes this process almost unusable for just importing a number of new folders.

Is there a better way to add a number of folders?

Thank you.
NN635462462375053713UL

Re: Importing new folders and browsing folders

Postby gusferlizi » Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 am

...welcome.
NN635462462375053713UL wrote:Is there a fast way to sync a folder heirarchy for C1 to find new folders with images and import them into the library?
When using "sync", C1 11.1.1 appears to only find images in folders that are already present. I've read that you have to import each folder (which is not fast or elegant) unless you use "import".

Yeah, it bugged me a bit in the beginning, and everyone coming from Lightroom complains about this. Currently I don't think it's a big deal, and if I remember correctly, PhaseOne does not recommend using this procedure to 'import' images. That's probably why they don't make it work like it should.
Is there a better way to add a number of folders?

It's not all bad. If you go through the import dialogue and chose to keep the files in the 'current location' (and turn off 'exclude duplicates'), It should do it reasonably fast and preserve your folder structure like you want.

The other awkward thing you might have found is that the file count does not apply to the subdirectories either, so you have to expand the whole tree to see your images (or go to 'all images' and often experience the whole database refresh debacle).

...you have to wait for your filters to be updated from new (ie. when selecting "all images" from catalog collections, the various filters you've chosen in the filter pane (eg. all of the lens focal lengths, apertures) are reset and C1 seems to read the metadata of every single image in your collection to repopulate them. Doing this for 200 000 files takes 20+ minutes, thich makes this process almost unusable for just importing a number of new folders.

I could have missed something but I'm pretty sure that's not related to using the 'Import' tool. At 20min you're golden. This seems to be much worse for people with that amount of images loaded up. I do not have recent experience on Mac, but from other users' reports this was either fixed a while ago or never really happened on that platform :? .

We are always recommended to cry out to support about this stuff to make numbers, but these quirks are years old and not like no one else reported. Do a little digging in recent threads (as there is more to that) and perhaps add your findings to a support ticket later anyway.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain ... pport.aspx

Cheers
gusferlizi

Return to Capture One 11.x Software