How do I make it run optimise hardware again?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

How do I make it run optimise hardware again?

Postby mike-88 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 pm

I have a full license for Capture One Pro 11. I use it with my 6 year old mac mini 2012 i7 Quad Core with integrated HD4000, 16GB Ram and an SSD drive.

It works fine, however, I get a microsecond blur when panning an image at 100% or cycling through some adjustments.

So, I thought I might move over to PC with some beefier hardware to remove this microsecond delay. I tested PC version of Capture One 11 on my sons PC, with 16GB 3200Mhz, Ryzen Hex Core 12 threads and a 4GB Radeon RX5 something or other graphics card.

But, it says hardware acceleration does not work; the PC crashed while capture one was optimising for hardware. Now I can't get hardware optimisation.

How can I get it to run the optimisation again?

The process times are only 10-20% faster, but the lag on the image (zooming or adjusting) is terrible compared to my lowly mac mini.

I then went an tried it in a lower spec Ryzen 2200G with integrated super doper Vega graphics, that I had recently built for my wife. This said Yes to hardware acceleration, but the lag was still worse than my technically slower mac mini and if I enabled auto display optimisation I got a horrible yellow colour cast/pixelation each time I did any small adjustment. If I set to Never for display the problem went. But I was left with a pixelated lag far worse than the Mac version.

What's going on with PC version?
mike-88

Re: How do I make it run optimise hardware again?

Postby RobiWan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm

mike-88 wrote:But, it says hardware acceleration does not work; the PC crashed while capture one was optimising for hardware. Now I can't get hardware optimisation.

How can I get it to run the optimisation again?

What do you mean with "hardware optimization"? Do you mean "creating OpenCL kernels"? If yes - close C1 and to to the directory "C:\ProgramData\Phase One\Capture One\ImageCore" and remove all files from this directory.
If you now start C1 will create new OpenCL kernels.

Be sure you have installed latest driver for your AMD card!
RobiWan

Postby mike-88 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 pm

RobiWan wrote:[C:\ProgramData\Phase One\Capture One\ImageCore" and remove all files from this directory.
If you now start C1 will create new OpenCL kernels.

Yes that worked, many thanks.

I've found that Capture One works better- smoother when making adjustments- on my sons more powerful Windows Pc with a 4GB graphics card. The hardware acc does make a difference.

BUT, I found the pixelation problems I had were caused by using SPOT REMOVAL, it seems to break the hardware acceleration and turns the experience as if there was NO graphics card or acceleration. Shame as I like to use this earlier on, but will adjust my work flow.

Also, I have my mac-mini as dual boot - OSX and Windows -so could test capture one on same hardware just different OS.

The Mac version runs a little smoother, zooming and with less pixelation panning etc. The PC version is dreadful for pixelation when panning at 100%. I hope it's some setting somewhere on the newly installed Capture One default values.

Additionally, process times for the mac vs pc are identical, EXCEPT the first run. The PC always takes longer the first time I set it to process. I guess a windows problem.

For example, batch process of 3 photos, 4 files output types each:

Mac Mini I7 HD4000- OSX
21.4s, 21.5, 21.5

Mac Mini I7 HD4000- Windows 10
27.2s, 22, 21.9

Ryzen 5, 4GB graphics - Windows 10
8s, 6, 6.4

Ryzen 3, Integrated Vega Graphics - Windows 10
14s, 11, 11
mike-88

Postby gusferlizi » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm

mike-88 wrote:Additionally, process times for the mac vs pc are identical, EXCEPT the first run. The PC always takes longer the first time I set it to process. I guess a windows problem.

For example, batch process of 3 photos, 4 files output types each:

Mac Mini I7 HD4000- OSX
21.4s, 21.5, 21.5

Mac Mini I7 HD4000- Windows 10
27.2s, 22, 21.9

Ryzen 5, 4GB graphics - Windows 10
8s, 6, 6.4

Ryzen 3, Integrated Vega Graphics - Windows 10
14s, 11, 11

Yeah, I think that's just some caching behaviour. Mind you it has improved tremendously on the image browsing side!
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby RobiWan » Sat May 19, 2018 9:07 am

mike-88 wrote:The Mac version runs a little smoother, zooming and with less pixelation panning etc. The PC version is dreadful for pixelation when panning at 100%. I hope it's some setting somewhere on the newly installed Capture One default values.

Additionally, process times for the mac vs pc are identical, EXCEPT the first run. The PC always takes longer the first time I set it to process. I guess a windows problem.

There are no setting that can be set. The OSX version is simply faster because programmed better.
RobiWan

Return to Capture One 11.x Software