I want to switch from LR to Capture One 11 for weddings

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

I want to switch from LR to Capture One 11 for weddings

Postby NNN636220082007464513 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Hello everybody!

New wedding season is on the way and I would like to switch from Lightroom CC. I am just sick of Adobe politics of selling slow old software that was programmed for computers 10 years ago. With false promises that they are going to speed it up with every new update ( they would have programmed if from the start and they just don't care about that ).

I was looking for other options and after little research, I've found Capture One 11. I am traveling and I didn't have the chance to try out trial version on my desktop computer. I am running windows 10 ( newest April update ) on I7 7700k + Samsung 960 Evo m.2 + Nvidia 1060 6G. I would really appreciate the advice and experiences from Capture One 11 users.

1. How are you happy with the speed and performance comared to Lightroom ( previews, develop, brushes ) ?
2. Is it possible to import Lightroom presets or I have to make new ones for CO?
3. Is your workflow with batch editing in Capture One faster than in LR?
4. Does CO have good customer support if there are bugs or problems with the software?

Or any other things you think I should know before switching to Capture One...

Thank you!

Have a nice day.
NNN636220082007464513

Re: I want to switch from LR to Capture One 11 for weddings

Postby C-M-B » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm

1. Capture One can be very fast for editing and exporting images. However it's very badly designed for browsing through a lot of images and I would not use it for a big database. With CaptureOne you have the choice of using it for Sessions or to work with a Catalog and I would definitely recommend using Session if you're a wedding photographer.
2. CO and LR have very different architectures and the styles/presets are not compatible. But there are a lot of Styles you can purchase and also a lot you can download for free and of course you can create some yourself.
3. In short: Yes.
4. That depends. Tech support is great in that the supporters themselves are very friendly, helpful and understanding and they forward each bug report to the developers. There are some cases where they offer a bug fix very quickly and others where requests and bug reports are more or less ignored by the developers.
Some issues, like the ones with Wacom tablets and Windows Ink, have been there for many versions and the underlying problems simply are not bring fixed. Other things, like the issue with the Ressouce Hub in 11.1 was very very quickly adressed (it only took a week or so).

While Lightroom is more like a image catalog with a quick editing interface, CatureOne is the completele opposite.
C-M-B

Postby pope » Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 am

I agree with what was said before, but I would like to add my take on #1. I find it hard to navigate images because I cannot group images up (image stacking). And if you shoot RAW+JPEG, they are treated as separate files. I’ve gotten around the last part by not importing JPEG. But not being able to stack images together still sucks.

I can search through things easily in C1 though - by location, tag, stars, etc. But if you look at the recent thread about the “pie progress” bar with Windows, you will see that it can take a while for C1 to load up all of the metadata in order for you to start searching immediately (not an issue on MacOS btw).

I started with Sessions and Lightroom for all of my images by ensuring all metadata goes to sidecar files. Then I moved to using Catalogs with C1, but I’m not feeling totally happy about it.

Oh, one thing I will say is slow - finding images to import. The first SD card read isn’t so bad, but if I take new photos and then try to import again, C1 takes forever trying to figure out if an image is a duplicate or not. It’s actually faster for me to import from LR and then add the folder to C1.
pope

Postby mli20 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:... I am running windows 10 ( newest April update ) on ....

Your Windows 10 version is not compatible with Capture One 11 according to the Release Notes (As always it is good practice to read those carefully).

You may want to ask tech support if that is really the case.
mli20

Postby SFA » Fri May 18, 2018 11:16 am

pope wrote:Oh, one thing I will say is slow - finding images to import. The first SD card read isn’t so bad, but if I take new photos and then try to import again, C1 takes forever trying to figure out if an image is a duplicate or not. It’s actually faster for me to import from LR and then add the folder to C1.

However you can easily filter the images in many ways and so not have to make use of the duplicates checking feature at all.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby IanL » Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:I am running windows 10 ( newest April update ) on I7 7700k + Samsung 960 Evo m.2 + Nvidia 1060 6G. I would really appreciate the advice and experiences from Capture One 11 users.

For context that is a more powerful machine than mine (i5, Nvidia 760)

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:1. How are you happy with the speed and performance comared to Lightroom ( previews, develop, brushes ) ?

Yes, all the things you mentioned I find the same or better.

The one place that C1 is not as good is some of the searching of the catalogue. If you select the all images collection the performance is not satisfactory. There are things you can do (such as create smart collections or refine the search criteria after selecting the all images collection) but this is something that C1 can defiantly stand some improvement. It should be said that some people are experiencing this differently - as in even worse. It is not clear to me if there is an underlying difference in systems or if it is expectations.

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:2. Is it possible to import Lightroom presets or I have to make new ones for CO?

No, you will have to create new ones.

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:3. Is your workflow with batch editing in Capture One faster than in LR?

Faster no question about it. And you can do some cool things and have multiple images open at once. Recently I had 400 odd images that consisted of multiple series of nearly identical images and I wanted to select the ones with the best focus. I setup a four up display with 100% zoom and panned in sync with all four images. It was awesome! I learned how to do it from this forum.

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:4. Does CO have good customer support if there are bugs or problems with the
software?

I think so. They have helped me work around my issues and they do fix things. They do not fix everything though. So far I have been happy.

Here is some reading you might find helpful regarding switching from LR to C1.
My saga of migrating my 62 000 image catalogue over: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27207#p130622

How I am tweaking my workflow from the way I did it in LR to the way I am doing in C1.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=27920#p133562
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27848#p133149
Short version each photo shoot I create a session and do some or all of my work using the session then once I am done I import the session into my catalogue. Since I structure things so that my selects (best / favourite images) are in the top level of the session when you are exploring the catalogue selecting each shoot name will show you the collection of the best images. All the other keepsers are there in lower levels but the best ones are the ones you see when you click on the shoot name in the catalogue.
IanL

Postby IanL » Fri May 18, 2018 4:49 pm

pope wrote:Oh, one thing I will say is slow - finding images to import. The first SD card read isn’t so bad, but if I take new photos and then try to import again, C1 takes forever trying to figure out if an image is a duplicate or not. It’s actually faster for me to import from LR and then add the folder to C1.

Let me start by saying - that sucks - I hope they make that better. Having said that I personally never encounter this. My workflow is to finish a shoot and import the images. The card then goes on my desk (camera has a new card already in it). At this point my images are in three places: the card, my normal work drive and a back up drive. After I have done some work I run my back up. Images are now in four places. After that at any time I need to I'll pick the card up and reformat it in camera to use it again. Images are now in three places.

In other words I never, ever put a card with images still on it into my camera to shoot more. Therefore I never have the problem of import having to eliminate duplicates.

So if your work flow is like mine this is no a problem ever. If you work flow is like @pope then it could be a problem for you. My personal recommendation is as the Dr. says "stop doing that".
IanL

Postby David532 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

mli20 wrote:
NNN636220082007464513 wrote:... I am running windows 10 ( newest April update ) on ....

Your Windows 10 version is not compatible with Capture One 11 according to the Release Notes (As always it is good practice to read those carefully).

You may want to ask tech support if that is really the case.

Working ok other than the well known catalogue performance problems on both my April update Win 10 Pro machines.
Dave
David532

Postby NNN636220082007464513 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your time and replays. I really appreciate your input and advice.
I still didn't have the time to try CO11 but I will do it by the end of the week.

I still don't know the difference between Sessions and Catalogs in CO and I will need to try it out as all other things :)

My workflow is :
I have a folder structure in Windows ( explorer ) and after I've transferred all photos from my card to HD I do the culling ( select only the best photos ) in Adobe Bridge. When I have the final 300-500 photos I import them to Lightroom and start doing editing. It's the fastest way for me.

I don't care so much about the photo selection because i do it before import. I just want to work as quickly as possible with the program and batch process. Because working with Adobe programs and especially Lightroom is a horrible experience.

So I hope that CO 11 i much faster and optimized program, especially for that price.

Thank you.
NNN636220082007464513

Postby IanL » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:I still don't know the difference between Sessions and Catalogs in CO and I will need to try it out as all other things :)

Then this should help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6sm9bQQXf0

Or at least help you formulate what questions to ask next :D

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:So I hope that CO 11 i much faster and optimized program, especially for that price.

I hope you find that it is. Interestingly the place I find CO faster is in the culling and navigating through the list of images. In other words getting to that 300-500 images to process is where I find CO much better. It sounds like you already have another way of getting that.
IanL

Postby Bobtographer » Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 am

NNN636220082007464513 wrote:My workflow is :
I have a folder structure in Windows ( explorer ) and after I've transferred all photos from my card to HD I do the culling ( select only the best photos ) in Adobe Bridge. When I have the final 300-500 photos I import them to Lightroom and start doing editing. It's the fastest way for me.

Sessions is the way to go with this - I have 1 session and then just point C1 at my selected images folder and I can immediately start working on images.
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 12.1 | Win10 64Pro 17763
Bobtographer

Return to Capture One 11.x Software