Several questions before upgrading

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Several questions before upgrading

Postby Whitesnake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:17 am

I bought a Sony A7 III and at the moment I am using a D750 and C1 10 (MacOS 10.12.6). Before I upgrade to C1 11 I have several questions:

.) Do I get as a Sony user a cheaper upgrade? A full version of C1 Pro for Sony is more expensive than a Non-Sony-Upgrade. Is this correct?

.) How can I test C1 11 as an existing C10-User without buying it? The thing is: if I'm not happy with the performance of C1 11, how can I go back to C1 10 and keep my settings (shortcuts etc.)

.) What shortcut changes have been made with C1 11? I have several special shortcuts (E for new adjustment layer, K for the correction layer, etc.) and I'm not sure if they are overwritten because of the new layer workflow in C1 11.

.) Do Sony users have any other suggestion what I should be aware of before upgrading to C1 11? I'm perfectly happy with C1 10, but it doesn't support the A7 III.

Thank you a lot for your help!!!
Whitesnake

Re: Several questions before upgrading

Postby Ian3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:19 am

How to test C1 v11 - just download it and try it. V10 will still be there and you can fire it up and use it if you want to. But remember that sessions and catalogs created in v11 are not backwards-compatible with v10. (Because they store information about features that v10 does not have.)

There are some shortcut changes, but there is nothing to stop you customising shortcuts back to those you are used to if you want.

I can't answer the other questions.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Whitesnake wrote:
.) Do I get as a Sony user a cheaper upgrade? A full version of C1 Pro for Sony is more expensive than a Non-Sony-Upgrade. Is this correct?

If you take a look at the Phase web site, go to the Store and then hit the Upgrade box (you may need to scroll down to see it) you should be able to identify your options and see the associated costs.

There can also be discounts codes available through partner and Ambassador web sites and some local country partners may offer their own country specific local currency pricing.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Whitesnake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:35 pm

So it is possible to run C1 11 parallel to C1 10? That would be perfect.
Whitesnake

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes, but not at the same time :D
And remember that if you open your v10 catalog with v11, you couldn't go backwards, as your v11 catalog won't be recognized by v10 anymore.
tenmangu81

Postby Whitesnake » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm

It's okay if I can use C1 10 with the D750 files and C1 11 with the A7 III. The only important thing is that the programs don't influence each other. I use for each shooting a new catalog. So I don't have one big catalog.
Whitesnake

Postby SFA » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Whitesnake wrote:It's okay if I can use C1 10 with the D750 files and C1 11 with the A7 III. The only important thing is that the programs don't influence each other. I use for each shooting a new catalog. So I don't have one big catalog.

Sounds like you might find sessions quite useful.

Bear in mind that an upgrade for full Pro would allow you to work with both the Nikon and Sony files.

If you upgrade the free Sony Express by buying the reduced price Sony Pro version you will only be able to process Sony RAW files with V11, not the Nikon RAW files.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Whitesnake » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks for your help. I have now installed the C1 11 version parallel to the C1 10 version and everything is working fine. My shortcuts stayed the same and a bug which I reported long time ago was fixed with C1 11 :) Import and workflow speed seems to be the same.
Whitesnake

Return to Capture One 11.x Software