C1P 11.1 Normalize tool WAY off...

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: C1P 11.1 Normalize tool WAY off...

Postby C-M-B » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I'll try my best:

Sometimes it's necessary to (perfectly) match certain tones between different images.

Imagine you take pictures of someone in the morning, during noon and in the evening - you'll end up with very different skin tones. With Normalize you can match those skin tones very easily.

Open the tool "Normalize"

First you select an image with a skin tone that you like (it doesn't even have to be an image from this session, it can be any image and any format the C1 can read) and you pick the tone you like by clicking on it with the "Pick Normalize" tool.

You'll see that the colour square next to "Pick" has changed to the tone you just picked and it also displays the Red Green Blue value next to it (like 208, 158, 139).

Now you can go to the image that you want to adjust. Switch to the "Apply Normalization" tool and then you can click on the skin tone that you want to change.

Of course this doesn't have to be used just for skin tones but for portraits it's very good indeed. I've used it for landscapes and still life as well with great success!

The way that it works is by changing the overall White Balance and the Exposure, so it will also change the rest of the image as well - but you have the option to only apply the White Balance or only the Exposure or both together.

So if you're working with a set of images where the Exposure is good and therefore you want to match only the colour tone of your subject without changing the Exposure as well, you can simply only select to apply the White Balance in the "Normalize"-Tool and it'll leave the Exposure alone. And vice versa of course.

It has its limits and you have to be careful when picking or applying a value from a small detail like a freckle or a blade of grass. You should also be very careful when you want to apply it to an area with a gradation, especially when you want to adjust the Exposure as well.
C-M-B

Re: C1P 11.1 Normalize tool WAY off...

Postby Irvin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 pm

C-M-B wrote:I'll try my best:

Sometimes it's necessary to (perfectly) match certain tones between different images.

Imagine you take pictures of someone in the morning, during noon and in the evening - you'll end up with very different skin tones. With Normalize you can match those skin tones very easily.

Open the tool "Normalize"

First you select an image with a skin tone that you like (it doesn't even have to be an image from this session, it can be any image and any format the C1 can read) and you pick the tone you like by clicking on it with the "Pick Normalize" tool.

You'll see that the colour square next to "Pick" has changed to the tone you just picked and it also displays the Red Green Blue value next to it (like 208, 158, 139).

Now you can go to the image that you want to adjust. Switch to the "Apply Normalization" tool and then you can click on the skin tone that you want to change.

Of course this doesn't have to be used just for skin tones but for portraits it's very good indeed. I've used it for landscapes and still life as well with great success!

The way that it works is by changing the overall White Balance and the Exposure, so it will also change the rest of the image as well - but you have the option to only apply the White Balance or only the Exposure or both together.

So if you're working with a set of images where the Exposure is good and therefore you want to match only the colour tone of your subject without changing the Exposure as well, you can simply only select to apply the White Balance in the "Normalize"-Tool and it'll leave the Exposure alone. And vice versa of course.

It has its limits and you have to be careful when picking or applying a value from a small detail like a freckle or a blade of grass. You should also be very careful when you want to apply it to an area with a gradation, especially when you want to adjust the Exposure as well.

Excellent explanation! The skin tone matching across different color balances is a very lucid, clear example. We need more of this. Thank you!
Irvin

Previous

Return to Capture One 11.x Software