How do you transfer a partial catalog ?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

How do you transfer a partial catalog ?

Postby NNN636574008213061869 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi,

'm extensively testing C1 since several weeks and after reading lot of articles, watching also a lot of the tutorials and webinars, I still have a question :)

How would you recommend to transfer a partial catalog (let's say a folder) from your mobile computer to you main catalog on your main computer ? (Catalog Import/Export, Original Export, something else...)

Specially I want to transfer, of course all processing settings and also ratings and color tags.
NNN636574008213061869

Re: How do you transfer a partial catalog ?

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 am

Here's how I did something similar recently.

I created a Group called "Export". I moved all the groups, projects and albums I was transferring into this group.

Then I selected the Group, right clicked and selected "Export as Catalog". I used some name name like "Import" or "Transfer" for the new catalog.

Then I opened my Main Catalog and imported the "Transfer Catalog"

The only difference from your question was that this was on the same computer. From a different computer, you will have to move the image files as well.

There are two ways to move the image files, as referenced images (as files in OSX folders), or as managed images (as part of the Catalog)

I haven't used the managed image approach except to test; you would select an image in the "All Images" folder of the Transfer Catalog, find it in the Folders section of COP by right clicking and then clicking on "Show in Library". From there you select the image, or hopefully a group of images, and drag them to the "Catalog" folder. This copies the image file to the catalog, and changes the image file reference to the catalog

The referenced file approach is my preferred one, the image files to be moved should be arranged as a one folder in OSX, a small number of folders in OSX or as one main folder and a "tree" of subfolders.

Now copy the image folder, folders or folder tree to the main computer.

When the new files (Catalog and images) arrive in the main computer, first move the image folders (without changing the folder structure) to the correct position (or a reasonable position) in the OSX folder tree on the main computer. Now open the "Transfer Catalog" and use the locate command to identify the location of the image files. All you should have to do is locate the top level folder(s) of the new images, as long as you have not changed the folder structure. Check to make sure the Transfer catolog doesn't have any folders with a missing file reference. (badge indicating the files are offline).. Or use one of my applescripts to check for images with no file references.

When that is done, import the Transfer catalog into your main catalog.
Eric Nepean

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:12 pm

This approach works well. Be aware if you manually rearrange the variant images before exporting, the manual sort order will be retained in the exported catalog, but when you import it, the sort order will revert to name order.

I expect the reason for reverting to name order is that if one were to move manually sorted images into another album, that was already sorted manually, Capture One would have no way of knowing how to integrate the manually sorted import into the existing manually sorted album.
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby NNN636574008213061869 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you very much Eric for your long and detailed answer.

This is almost what I did except that I was transferring picture with the function "Export Images / Originals...' in the file menu. And then I was importing directly the exported catalog before doing the "locate" of pics.
So I'll try this.

Did you try re-exporting part of the catalog, because you made new processing of the pics contained inside ?
In my case when I re-import the partial catalog from my mobile computer into the main catalog (on my main computer), not all the ratings and color tags are correctly synchronized. Did you have this issue ?
NNN636574008213061869

Postby NNN636574008213061869 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

NN635680879799322049UL wrote:This approach works well. Be aware if you manually rearrange the variant images before exporting, the manual sort order will be retained in the exported catalog, but when you import it, the sort order will revert to name order.

I expect the reason for reverting to name order is that if one were to move manually sorted images into another album, that was already sorted manually, Capture One would have no way of knowing how to integrate the manually sorted import into the existing manually sorted album.

Thanks for the precision :)
NNN636574008213061869

Postby NNN636574008213061869 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:Here's how I did something similar recently.

I created a Group called "Export". I moved all the groups, projects and albums I was transferring into this group.

Then I selected the Group, right clicked and selected "Export as Catalog". I used some name name like "Import" or "Transfer" for the new catalog.

<snipped>

The referenced file approach is my preferred one, the image files to be moved should be arranged as a one folder in OSX, a small number of folders in OSX or as one main folder and a "tree" of subfolders.

Now copy the image folder, folders or folder tree to the main computer.

When the new files (Catalog and images) arrive in the main computer, first move the image folders (without changing the folder structure) to the correct position (or a reasonable position) in the OSX folder tree on the main computer. Now open the "Transfer Catalog" and use the locate command to identify the location of the image files. All you should have to do is locate the top level folder(s) of the new images, as long as you have not changed the folder structure. Check to make sure the Transfer catolog doesn't have any folders with a missing file reference. (badge indicating the files are offline).. Or use one of my applescripts to check for images with no file references.

When that is done, import the Transfer catalog into your main catalog.

Hey Eric,

I thoroughly followed your procedure :
1. export a folder as a catalog transfer_cat on the mobile computer
2. copy the picture folder and transfer_cat on the main computer
3. fix transfer_cat by doing a Locate of folder on the main computer
4. importing in the main catalog (of the main computer) the transfer_cat
It works well for the initial transfer.

I still experience a big issue with the following scenario of a second transfer:
. first transfer OK
. change from 3 to 0 the rating of one pic on the mobile computer
. export the same folder as a catalog transfer_cat2, fix the catalog on the main computer
. import transfer_cat2 in the main catalog
If a pic with a rating > 0 in transfer_cat has now a rating = 0 in transfer_cat2, its rating is not updated once imported in the main catalog (on the main computer, or even another catalog on the same computer).

Any idea ?
NNN636574008213061869

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 am

Sorry, been away for a few days.

I know that CaptureOne will not import duplicate images. For example, if image _1000091.JPG in ~/Desktop/tests is in the catalog, it won't be imported if you try to import it again. CaptureOne won't throw an error message, but the image is not imported, even if the destination collection is different.

What I suspect is happening in your case is that the image already exists in the main catalog from importing transfer_cat, attempting to import it again seems to have the same result as above.

If you want this kind of shared editting from diffrent machines to work (which IMO is really what you are attempting) then you have to have a common shared catalog which is accessed by both machines. However, I think remote catalog access isn't suppported by CaptureOne, I note a few recent threads by people who have put their catalogs on a NAS, and had a lot of trouble with that.

You could probably work out something by syncing the metadata to the image sidecar files, but this also has pitfalls - I suspect that its just a recipe for more complicated trouble.

I think in the end one just has to be disciplined - "OK, I've moved the image to another cataog, I will never edit it in this catalog again"

To this end, once having exported a collection, It's likely best to delete the collection from the catalog, and move all the images in the collection and its subcollections to the catalog trash.
Eric Nepean

Postby NNN636574008213061869 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Eric,

My turn to have been away :-/ Thanks again for your explanations.

Actually in my workflow I often do the transfer of a "folder" as a catalog (with all rating, color tags and settings) to have a backup/snapshot of the state of my work on my main computer.
Then on the go I keep going with the editing and processing. Then I need to synchronize my main computer with the up to date work on the "folder".
That's way I need a reliable ans simple way to do this.

Thanks again for your help.

All the best.
NNN636574008213061869

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm just investigating this now, but if I understand CaptureOne correctly, a Session is a better choice than a Catalog for moving images between machines, and for on the road editting.

But even so, I don't think there's any synchronisation method in COP between two catalogs, or between catalog and session.

Perhps time to open a feature request.
Eric Nepean

Return to Capture One 11.x Software