Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Postby MPW1950-2 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:45 am

As a noise reduction opportunity I would like to see image stacking and averaging; LR supports it.

Basic process:
Take a series of images of same subject/composition (ideally on tripod but LR aligns hand-held images that are nearly the same).
Stack and auto align the images - typically 4-16
Average the pixel values to produce the output

The effective can be dramatic, reduces noise by about the equivalent of stop of slower ISO speed : 8 images at ISO 6400 would give noise comparable to ISO 800, 16 to ISO 400. It does it without losing detail that wopuld lost by other noise reduction methods.

It means in poor light one can use faster shutter speed or smaller aperure to improve desired sharpness. Obviously only works for static subjects.
Martin Wilson
PhD researcher, writer, photographer
MPW1950-2

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Tue May 08, 2018 12:27 am

not sure if it was mentioned but in thumbs view when developing the ability to stay centered like LR so you can see what is coming
even better the option of being at the beginning or middle or end of your next files :) I would love to keep it at the beginning so I can the most of what is coming up not where I have been !

also a previous button !!

and history ! I know they say the thinking is dif than LR but that is a cop out and shallow thinking ! I can work a file and go OK did not like that and want to step it back and doing versions etc.. is not the same or a good option they really really need to make a history view

so

thumb view control of where you are at
previous button
history view
Chad Dahlquist

Postby AKXLPhotos » Tue May 08, 2018 1:47 am

I'd like the ability to edit the Color Tag label to something more useful than Red, Orange, Yellow, etc.

For example, in a session, I may use the color tag [Blue] for images I want to add to my personal portfolio. I'd like the ability to change the label in Filters -> Color Tag for [Blue] Blue to [Blue] Portfolio. This way, I can easily remember what colors I'm using for what purpose.

Having the ability to change this on a per session basis and being able to carry over labels from the currently working session would make it ideal for photographers that work in multiple disciplines.
AKXLPhotos
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby OddS » Tue May 08, 2018 2:31 am

AKXLPhotos wrote:I'd like the ability to edit the Color Tag label...

I will second this one, but I want to expand your wish to: Each Color Tag must have TWO editable labels. One label for XMP-use and one label for whatever meaning the user wants to associate with the color.

Rationale: Exchanging color tags between XMP-capable applications requires applications to use the same color tag label. If one application uses a fixed set of labels (like C1 currently does), my other applications need to use the very same fixed set of labels even if those other applications do allow me to modify the labels.

Thus, I suggest 2 editable labels for each color tag. One XMP-label for use with metadata exchange and one user label for the general user interface. The blue color tag could then have a XMP-label "Blue" and a user label "Portfolio" for general use. This will allow you to ave it your way without breaking application metadata exchange. If I want to see the label "Blue" in the C1 user interface, my labels would be "Blue" and "Blue", while yours would be "Blue" and "Portfolio" or some such.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby NNN636460165578985672 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 am

I have some simple things:

Brush presets I can get to with keyboard shortcuts. I commonly toggle between two brushes, so this would save time.
Ability to toggle 'Display selection points' with a keyboard shortcut. This could exist, but I can't find it.
NNN636460165578985672

Postby HantaYo » Sat May 19, 2018 1:50 am

Pretty much every photo editing software have a haze reduction tool (clear view, dehaze, ect.) except for C1. The clarity tool may help with haze but it does not come close to other software. C1 please add this tool. Kinda like C1 taking years to easily see before and after versions. Creating a variant was way too backwards and unproductive. C1 likely was the last kid on the block to add before/after functionality. And so it goes with a haze tool. Course C1 believes, as it did creating a variant was the answer to before/after, that clarity provides this functionality.
HantaYo

Postby NN159250UL » Thu May 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi, its my first post.

I think CO 12 needs better noise reduction! downlaod dpreview.com studio samples of Sony a7r II in low light at iso 51200 and 102400 and try them in lightroom or silkypix or DXO Photolabs (with Prime noise reduction) and try it. Much better colors at those high isos... CO 11 is very dessaturated.. and it has blotchy noise ( you can mitigate that a bit by decreasing the detail slider in noise reduction, or the clarity tool but they are still there compared with those Lightroom and DXO)

A shadows slider so that the darkest parts of an image that are very close to black dont show tih lots of noise (lightroom has a shadows lider and it helps.

Something like DXO Prime you press a button with an optimized algorithm but very CPU intensive only for those images that need desperate noise reduction and you are trying to salvage.

A way to have settings for sharpening and noise reduction at different isos based on the user presets so for instance (iso12800 details 50, iso 51200 details 10)

a slider for allowing more noise in the shadows (where the most obtrusive noise remains and less important details are) and other for midtones and other for hilights (to preserve detail)

A better/bigger repair tool like the one in DXO Photolab that magically removes objects without you having to select an area to replace.

Dehaze tool.

Thanks
NN159250UL

Postby placephotog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm

PLEASE IMPROVE THE PRINT MODULE
In every new release (since about version 8 I think) the first thing I hope to find is a print module that remembers which printer you were using. Even in one session, once a print has been executed, CP1 reverts to the default printer. I can't be alone in having an laser printer as my default printer for paperwork etc. You have to redesignate the printer and all its settings every time you want to print. It is such a pain!
placephotog

Postby Samoreen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:38 pm

placephotog wrote:PLEASE IMPROVE THE PRINT MODULE
Even in one session, once a print has been executed, CP1 reverts to the default printer.

The "Printer settings not sticky" problem has been reported at least 2 or 3 years ago. Technically, it's not a big deal to fix this. Just, they don't care. I have opened a case about this issue more than 2 years ago (#209281). It has been closed. Absolutely no progress in this area. This is named "responsiveness".

Interestingly enough, under Windows, all applications automatically remember the last used printer settings. It's not a feature of the application. It's a Windows feature. I'm just wondering how C1 can achieve the feat of not remembering these settings at least during a session.
Samoreen

Postby NNN635919363657999456 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Please, for new version CO 11.2 insert the new format .heif in export modul.

.heif => High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF)
NNN635919363657999456

Postby BeO » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

Better noise reduction or alternative / additional noise reduction methods.
The current raw processing and noise reduction seems to result in aggregations of pixels (blotches, strings, molecule-like small structures) which only worsens if you do anything which increases difference between bright and dark pixels/aggreations. These aggregations usually look nasty especially in homogeneous image areas.

This kind of raw processing might possibly be responsible for the good IQ in non-noisy images / areas but not so much in many noisy areas.

Maybe a noise reduction algorithm (or another tool) which would actually dissolve the blotches into finer grain (not just reducing local contrast between pixels), or locally brush in a different (finer) raw development.

I find (all) the pickers really not useful, even picking on a grey card - each time you pick you get different values.
If increasing the pick area would help then I would very much appreciate such an improvement.
BeO

Postby gusferlizi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:41 pm

BeO wrote:Better noise reduction or alternative / additional noise reduction methods.
The current raw processing and noise reduction seems to result in aggregations of pixels (blotches, strings, molecule-like small structures) which only worsens if you do anything which increases difference between bright and dark pixels/aggreations. These aggregations usually look nasty especially in homogeneous image areas.

This kind of raw processing might possibly be responsible for the good IQ in non-noisy images / areas but not so much in many noisy areas.

Maybe a noise reduction algorithm (or another tool) which would actually dissolve the blotches into finer grain (not just reducing local contrast between pixels), or locally brush in a different (finer) raw development.

Yes, this is a major issue for X-Trans files since 10.1. I didn't understand the issue as well as I do now, and did a poor job at explaining it, but support can't see it.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Class A » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 pm

AMDphreak wrote:
  1. Make it easier to swap between a grey/black/white background for the photo editor.

+1

Changing the background colour should just involve a right-click on an area showing the background colour (i.e., the Viewer area around the image) and then selecting one of the choices. This would even work if the pop-up menu allowed further settings to be made as simply unfolding a "background color" sub-menu would be very little effort.

The current approach (via "Preferences") is so cumbersome. It involves six (6!) mouse clicks and a lot of mouse movements. The same has to be done to revert the background colour to one's default preference.

I made a feature request a long time ago and so should you.

I'd also love to be able to change the size of the images in the browser using Ctrl-mouse-wheel. I don't see any reason against supporting this.

My complete wishlist is longer, but the above would be trivial to implement.

My top-request, BTW, is to get a better Viewer rendering. It shouldn't be necessary to resort to "Proofing" in order to get a decent Viewer rendering.

Also, changes to the image should be atomic, even if they take a while. Currently C1 often shows an intermediate version before it renders the final version. This makes it impossible to evaluate the impact of a subtle change as the small change is completely hidden by the intermediate rendering that looks rather different. Sometimes an instant flipping backwards and forwards works, but often it doesn't. Potentially adjustments that disable GPU support (e.g. spot adjustments) or the preview size setting could have an impact. In any event, even if GPU support is unavailable the "before"/"after" views need to displayed back to back without a jarring intermediate image.
Class A

Postby BeO » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Class A wrote:
AMDphreak wrote:[list=1]

Also, changes to the image should be atomic, even if they take a while. Currently C1 often shows an intermediate version before it renders the final version. This makes it impossible to evaluate the impact of a subtle change as the small change is completely hidden by the intermediate rendering that looks rather different. Sometimes an instant flipping backwards and forwards works, but often it doesn't. Potentially adjustments that disable GPU support (e.g. spot adjustments) or the preview size setting could have an impact. In any event, even if GPU support is unavailable the "before"/"after" views need to displayed back to back without a jarring intermediate image.

+1
Absolutely agree, the intermediate preview image is very counterproductive for subtle changes. It is however not always reproducible with all tools or settings, it annoys me often but I don't recall exactly when it occurs.

But here is an example:
- Change the Sharpening Amount to a very high value e.g. 500,
- Then hover over the value or slider, scroll the mouse wheel to slightly change the value
-> The intermediate image is rendered so much differnet from the before or after image (at least with my C1 installation) that my visual short-term memory immediately forgot the before image and is overwritten by the intermediate.

EDIT: I filed a support ticket "Annoying intermediate preview rendering", forum entries alone probably do not help much.
BeO

Postby BeO » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 am

Is this issue possibly only with the sharpening tool and the structure in clarity tool?

EDIT: No, it is also with other tools (e.g. levels, HDR). Especially in 67% zoom and especially if a higher amount of sharpening / structure is already set. As the intermediate render seems even higher sharpened than the amount value of the sharpen tool (given this value is not loo low), maybe the sharpening algo for the displayed screen area is followed by other algos which have a mildering effect on the oversharpened intermediate.
BeO

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 11.x Software