Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Capture One 12.0 wish list....?

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:09 am

MikeArst wrote:
SFA wrote:Which version of Windows (I assume Windows) are are you using?
I have Win 7 Pro but I don't recognise anything about that folder structure. At least not under "Program files" and no etc.etc.etc that I have seen anywhere.

Grant — I'm using Windows 10 pro. They must have changed the file's location. The file containing the settings in question might be in a different directory on Win 7. On my system its name is user.config. A search for it on my hard drive didn't turn up any such file except in the Phase_One subdirectories buried within \Program Files. When I tried searching for it via the old-style dir /s method it took quite a while. I can recommend the very interesting search tool called "Everything" (http://www.voidtools.com/faq/), which enabled me to find the user.config file within about a second when I searched for *phase_one\*user.config (a search "term" that doesn't ever seem to work at the command line — but Everything.exe is a more powerful kind of search — via command line or GUI).

The path name CaptureOne.exe_StrongName_y3yh4brhpfi14u41fltdrpfruizxirsn is certainly very odd. On my system it contains subdirectories for every Capture One version that has been installed here:

Ah, OK.

On my system the config files - which reflect the current/last left as state of play (per user) for whatever versions have been installed over the years assuming they have not been completely tidied off at some point - are not buried in Program Files folder.

The regular installation places them directly on the C: drive folder structure.

C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Local\Phase_One\CaptureOne.exe_StrongName_<stuff>\11.0.1.30

I would be surprised if Microsoft deliberately changed the structure to embed the user specific folder in with the Program Files .... or would I?

However a quick Google and checking a few of the links that came up suggests the default USERS folder location is still directly from C: for Windows 10.

Grant
SFA

Postby VAD. » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:12 pm

My wish is that Phase One from the version 12 will split the Capture One in two versions.

One version for amateur photographers without catalogues, without sessions - just editing directly in folders, no local adjustments and CHEAPER. Of course the PRO version would remain unchanged.
VAD.

Postby John Doe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 pm

VAD. wrote:My wish is that Phase One from the version 12 will split the Capture One in two versions.

One version for amateur photographers without catalogues, without sessions - just editing directly in folders, no local adjustments and CHEAPER. Of course the PRO version would remain unchanged.

Well that's almost the Express licence. :-)
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby VAD. » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm

John Doe wrote:
VAD. wrote:My wish is that Phase One from the version 12 will split the Capture One in two versions.

Well that's almost the Express licence. :-)

Yes, I think in the past a version like this was availabile.
The Capture One is a very good software but unfortunately very
expensive for someone who’s not making money with photography.
VAD.

Postby Ian3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Here's a different suggestion, about the HDR tool. I've been reworking some old images that used old versions of the processing engine, such as v7. For the most part, upgrading to the newest v11 engine and reworking the images, I am better pleased with the result than I was before. (Both because the software is more capable and I have gained some better skills with it over the years.)

The later versions of the HDR tool are less aggressive than the old one, so when you adjust say the highlights it has less effect on the midtowns than it used to. Most of the time that is a good thing. But there are some images where I actually struggle to get it to look as good as it did before. I wonder whether there could be something like an extra control in the HDR tool that affected how much difference it makes to mid tones?

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Ian3 wrote:Here's a different suggestion, about the HDR tool. I've been reworking some old images that used old versions of the processing engine, such as v7. For the most part, upgrading to the newest v11 engine and reworking the images, I am better pleased with the result than I was before. (Both because the software is more capable and I have gained some better skills with it over the years.)

The later versions of the HDR tool are less aggressive than the old one, so when you adjust say the highlights it has less effect on the midtowns than it used to. Most of the time that is a good thing. But there are some images where I actually struggle to get it to look as good as it did before. I wonder whether there could be something like an extra control in the HDR tool that affected how much difference it makes to mid tones?

Ian

Is this something that might be intended to be adjusted by another tool in V11, thus leaving the HDR tool out of any possible conflict of settings in the middle ground?

Perhaps not but something to considered and, perhaps, eliminated in favour of some sort of over all "use case choice" method rather than a pure technical adjustment toolset.

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:35 pm

SFA wrote:
Ian3 wrote:Here's a different suggestion, about the HDR tool. I've been reworking some old images that used old versions of the processing engine, such as v7. For the most part, upgrading to the newest v11 engine and reworking the images, I am better pleased with the result than I was before. (Both because the software is more capable and I have gained some better skills with it over the years.)

Ian

Is this something that might be intended to be adjusted by another tool in V11, thus leaving the HDR tool out of any possible conflict of settings in the middle ground?

Perhaps not but something to considered and, perhaps, eliminated in favour of some sort of over all "use case choice" method rather than a pure technical adjustment toolset.

Grant

It can usually be achieved in the end in v11, though sometimes with difficulty. Most of the time the new HDR tool is better.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Paqart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm

The ability to draw a polygon mask and then to adjust the softness of the edge.
The ability to paint a non-opaque mask where overlapping strokes don't double density of the mask in overlapped areas.
Paqart

Postby John Doe » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am

Paqart wrote:The ability to paint a non-opaque mask where overlapping strokes don't double density of the mask in overlapped areas.

Isn't that what the Opacity setting is for?
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Paqart wrote:The ability to draw a polygon mask and then to adjust the softness of the edge.
The ability to paint a non-opaque mask where overlapping strokes don't double density of the mask in overlapped areas.

These ideas reminded me of some other software I use sometimes. That application does not use a brush analogy. It requires the user to outline the area to be masked and then provides for adjustment of feathering around the outline. I used to think it was great and sometimes it is - but in most use cases brushing is easier and quicker.

And then I realised that you can actually do this in C1 as it is.

For the first suggestion and assuming that your polygon implies straight lines are required to be produced easily, then there are cursor controls that make that possible. For example click on a start point for your mask. Hold down the Shift key (on windows) and you will get a brush line between the two points. Repeat to another point and you will get another brush line and so on.

Fill the mask if required. Also invert of course.

Modify the softness with a Feathering adjustment (Feather Mask). Maybe also a Refine Mask action as well in some cases? Alternatively add or remove feathering effect or opacity with a low opacity brush.

For you second point I could see a dedicated brush type being a clear indication of function but in effect the existing Opacity setting for the brush probably already performs this way. If a particular part of the mask is already at the maximum opacity setting no more opacity will be added. I think that fits your description of a "non-opaque" mask for overlapping areas although perhaps not in quite the same way that you have in mind?

Maybe there is a use case for simplified brush options that replicate some of these features without having to know the combinations for making them work?

Grant
SFA

Postby Manara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm

+1 to luminance masks... in conjunction with the existing color tools, that would put C1 to a higher level!

And this one is easy: allow color tags to be renamed [to something meaningful for everyone's workflow].
Manara

Postby WPNL » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:37 pm

SFA wrote:
Paqart wrote:The ability to draw a polygon mask and then to adjust the softness of the edge.

These ideas reminded me of some other software I use sometimes. That application does not use a brush analogy. It requires the user to outline the area to be masked and then provides for adjustment of feathering around the outline. I used to think it was great and sometimes it is - but in most use cases brushing is easier and quicker.

And then I realised that you can actually do this in C1 as it is.

For the first suggestion and assuming that your polygon implies straight lines are required to be produced easily, then there are cursor controls that make that possible. For example click on a start point for your mask. Hold down the Shift key (on windows) and you will get a brush line between the two points. Repeat to another point and you will get another brush line and so on.

Fill the mask if required. Also invert of course.

Modify the softness with a Feathering adjustment (Feather Mask). Maybe also a Refine Mask action as well in some cases? Alternatively add or remove feathering effect or opacity with a low opacity brush.

For you second point I could see a dedicated brush type being a clear indication of function but in effect the existing Opacity setting for the brush probably already performs this way. If a particular part of the mask is already at the maximum opacity setting no more opacity will be added. I think that fits your description of a "non-opaque" mask for overlapping areas although perhaps not in quite the same way that you have in mind?

Maybe there is a use case for simplified brush options that replicate some of these features without having to know the combinations for making them work?

Grant

I'm pretty sure / hope he meant vector instead of polygon :-)
WPNL

Postby SFA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Well, I've always understood a vector mask to be associated primarily with clipping and that's a different game.

The description of the requirement includes the need to feather the mask which didn't sound like clipping when I read it.

The straight line technique, with a 300 or 400% zoom and a fine size for the pen should offer some reasonable options I think but for really fiddly stuff like hair maybe not, although one wonders if that level of detail should be addressed some other way entirely.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Grant
SFA

Postby WPNL » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 pm

A "vector mask" is a mask defined by a path / spline / bezier curve instead of pixels (brush).
If combined with feathering this can be easier / more precise than a pixel mask, especially modifying afterwards.
Photoshop / Illustrator are good examples of how such a path works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLGuKDAf0g

I think a vector mask is best compared to 'nurbs' if you're familiar with polygons coming from a 3D program?
WPNL

Postby NNN636300647146540167 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 pm

I'd like to see Watermarking moved out of the Output tab and incorporated into layers. It would be nice to be able to use multiple images and multiple text boxes simultaneously. In addition, it should be possible to rotate both images and text boxes.
NNN636300647146540167

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 11.x Software