Capture One Always overlays grain

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Capture One Always overlays grain

Postby Fenjen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:28 am

I have contacted tech support. I hope they fix this and add an option to turn the film grain intensity to 0 as default for any iso.
Fenjen

Postby Fenjen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm

The people from support don't see it..
Fenjen

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Fenjen wrote:The people from support don't see it..

Did you mention it seems to vary depending on the current colour profile?
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Horseoncowboy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 am

this does not surprise me as they use grain to mask the outdated noise reduction they are unable to improve for years know.
Horseoncowboy

Postby gusferlizi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Horseoncowboy wrote:

this does not surprise me as they use grain to mask the outdated noise reduction they are unable to improve for years know.

I know right! :lol:
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Fenjen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:35 pm

gusferlizi wrote:

I don't actually see this for myself, but I really tried my best to convince them. I made another video showing it and explained everything again and again, and finally the support agent said they saw something but only when the fine grain is used, not with the other ones (for my copy at least it doesn't seem to matter which grain I use, since it is there even when I set the impact to 0). They closed the support thread, so I guess nothing will come from it. Due to this and another problem with X-Trans III where on high iso images there will be a lot of "hot pixels" that don't show up in other raw convertes, I will stop using Capture One. I'll keep an eye on development though.
Fenjen

Postby gusferlizi » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Fenjen wrote:
gusferlizi wrote:

I don't actually see this for myself, but I really tried my best to convince them. I made another video showing it and explained everything again and again, and finally the support agent said they saw something but only when the fine grain is used, not with the other ones (for my copy at least it doesn't seem to matter which grain I use, since it is there even when I set the impact to 0). They closed the support thread, so I guess nothing will come from it. Due to this and another problem with X-Trans III where on high iso images there will be a lot of "hot pixels" that don't show up in other raw convertes, I will stop using Capture One. I'll keep an eye on development though.

I have impact at 0 as well. Grain type setting does not seem to matter. I can confirm however, that If I change the output profile to AdobeRGB this background granulation disappears.

I will also try to raise issue.

By the way, can you elaborate on your issue with the hot pixels?

I have an X-T2 and noticed a drastic increase in sharpening artifacts from version 10.0.2 to 10.1+. (I think that I now understand what went on, and managed to circumvent it to a large extent. They seem to have improved pixel-to-pixel luminance definition, which in high ISO images, results in very crunchy noise and images that are extremely hard to sharpen in a pleasing manner.)

Fuji cameras also appear to be cursed and always come up with new hot pixels at certain sensor refresh rates; regardless of doing the pixel mapping routine.

Capture One's hot-pixel algorithm, however, seems to catch most of them by default. Perhaps better now on version 11.x...
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Fenjen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 am

gusferlizi wrote:
I have impact at 0 as well. Grain type setting does not seem to matter. I can confirm however, that If I change the output profile to AdobeRGB this background granulation disappears.
I will also try to raise issue.

By the way, can you elaborate on your issue with the hot pixels?

I have an X-T2 and noticed a drastic increase in sharpening artifacts from version 10.0.2 to 10.1+. (I think that I now understand what went on, and managed to circumvent it to a large extent. They seem to have improved pixel-to-pixel luminance definition, which in high ISO images, results in very crunchy noise and images that are extremely hard to sharpen in a pleasing manner.)

Fuji cameras also appear to be cursed and always come up with new hot pixels at certain sensor refresh rates; regardless of doing the pixel mapping routine.

Capture One's hot-pixel algorithm, however, seems to catch most of them by default. Perhaps better now on version 11.x...

Ahh good find! I didn't notice that. Yes I indeed see that it doesn't happen for me when I choose Adobe RGB, that might have been why the supporter didn't see the problem. Here is an image that shows the hot pixels I'm talking about.
https://ibb.co/hTUExc, X-T20 ISO 6400. Look in particular at the shadows. The noise reduction doesn't make these go away.
I think I'm going to open a new support thread too then, I didn't mention SRGB or Adobe rgb could have anything to do with it.
Fenjen

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Fenjen wrote:Ahh good find! I didn't notice that. Yes I indeed see that it doesn't happen for me when I choose Adobe RGB, that might have been why the supporter didn't see the problem. Here is an image that shows the hot pixels I'm talking about.
https://ibb.co/hTUExc, X-T20 ISO 6400. Look in particular at the shadows. The noise reduction doesn't make these go away.
I think I'm going to open a new support thread too then, I didn't mention SRGB or Adobe rgb could have anything to do with it.

Oh the coloured hot pixels!

I remember this same issue from a few months ago and another user.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26559&p=124731&hilit=fuji+x+t20#p124846

I did open a support ticket, and got a reply back today, stating "What it boils down to at this point is a bug with the x-trans sensor." They said they'd passed it to the development team for a fix sometime in the near future.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby Fenjen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 pm

gusferlizi wrote:
Fenjen wrote:Ahh good find! I didn't notice that. Yes I indeed see that it doesn't happen for me when I choose Adobe RGB, that might have been why the supporter didn't see the problem. Here is an image that shows the hot pixels I'm talking about.

Oh the coloured hot pixels!

I remember this same issue from a few months ago and another user.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26559&p=124731&hilit=fuji+x+t20#p124846

I did open a support ticket, and got a reply back today, stating "What it boils down to at this point is a bug with the x-trans sensor." They said they'd passed it to the development team for a fix sometime in the near future.

Yeah according to them it's a bug and they will try to fix it.. But it taking quite a long time. Did you try to contact them about the grain issue? I really love capture one but due to this issue I rather use Lightroom + Iridient at the moment, even though I like Capture One's output more in general.
Fenjen

Postby gusferlizi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Fenjen wrote:Yeah according to them it's a bug and they will try to fix it.. But it taking quite a long time. Did you try to contact them about the grain issue? I really love capture one but due to this issue I rather use Lightroom + Iridient at the moment, even though I like Capture One's output more in general.

Sorry man, I haven't. Got busy with other things.

Will try to have another look at it this week.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Previous

Return to Capture One 11.x Software