editing colour space

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

editing colour space

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:41 am

I don't know if this is possible, but if it is please let me know how.

While I am editing, I occasionally use the soft proof button to see how the photo will look when published. I always publish my photos using the SRGB colour space and this seems to darken the photo compared to the colour space used by Capture One when editing. Is there anyway I can tell Capture One to use the SRGB colour space when editing my raw photos?
Tonyh-s

Re: editing colour space

Postby SFA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 pm

You probably would not want to do that in reality since the colour range availble for editing will be reduced before the SRGB conversion makes it necessary.

You need to look at the output processing options in combination with softproofing and, in V10/11, the Recipe Proofing option.

You may still need to apply a specific adjustment to get things looking right in the exported file when displayed on another device through another viewer or editor. So many "Standards" to try to consider.

Grant
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Tonyh-s wrote:...
I always publish my photos using the SRGB colour space and this seems to darken the photo compared to the colour space used by Capture One when editing.

The question is, how do you view your processed images?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Tonyh-s wrote:I don't know if this is possible, but if it is please let me know how.

While I am editing, I occasionally use the soft proof button to see how the photo will look when published. I always publish my photos using the SRGB colour space and this seems to darken the photo compared to the colour space used by Capture One when editing. Is there anyway I can tell Capture One to use the SRGB colour space when editing my raw photos?

If you set your highlighted Recipe in the Recipes tool to a recipe that is sRGB, you are working in sRGB.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
Tonyh-s wrote:...
I always publish my photos using the SRGB colour space and this seems to darken the photo compared to the colour space used by Capture One when editing.

The question is, how do you view your processed images?

Hi Paul 99% of the time on a screen. I only print out my favourite ones to go into an album, in case I lose all my digital copies, even with 2 methods of backup.
Tonyh-s

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:
If you set your highlighted Recipe in the Recipes tool to a recipe that is sRGB, you are working in sRGB.

Hi Christian, that is what I thought and what I do. However, the editing colours are a lot lighter then the preview colours. The preview colours do match with the final output, so that is why I think there is a problem with the editing colours. I just assumed that it was a settings error on my part.
Tonyh-s

Postby Tibor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:If you set your highlighted Recipe in the Recipes tool to a recipe that is sRGB, you are working in sRGB.

Does this mean that you must create a new ProPhoto recipe if you would like to work in ProPhoto and also that you can set your calibrated monitor's ICC as a working space if creating a new recipe with the monitor's ICC profile?
Tibor

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 pm

I have just tried the same photo in version 10 with the same results, so it must be a 'feature' of Capture One :-)
Tonyh-s

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 pm

SORTED!!! The sRGB profile needs to be specified in the view/proof profile option. Just selecting the process recipe does not alter the editing profile.
Tonyh-s

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Tibor wrote:
Christian Gruner wrote:If you set your highlighted Recipe in the Recipes tool to a recipe that is sRGB, you are working in sRGB.

Does this mean that you must create a new ProPhoto recipe if you would like to work in ProPhoto and also that you can set your calibrated monitor's ICC as a working space if creating a new recipe with the monitor's ICC profile?

Yes to ProphotoRGB, but your Monitor RGB should never be selected for anything inside Capture One. That is purely for the Windows Color Management.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Tonyh-s wrote:SORTED!!! The sRGB profile needs to be specified in the view/proof profile option. Just selecting the process recipe does not alter the editing profile.

Then you always lock it to sRGB. Set it instead to "Selected Recipe" in that same dialog.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Tonyh-s » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks Christian. I had not spotted that one! Mine was originally set to the printer profile. I must of altered it when I was originally playing with the settings.

Thanks for your help.
Tonyh-s

Postby Tibor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Thank you Christian, that is good to know.
Tibor

Return to Capture One 11.x Software