Import Lightroom catalog to Existing Capture One catalog - b

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Import Lightroom catalog to Existing Capture One catalog - b

Postby NNN637061192741052285 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:27 am

Best way to transfer a 40,000 lightroom catalog to an existing 10,000 capture one catalog? I understand not everything comes over but crop, exposure, and file management is plenty enough vs importing fresh.

Everything I've seen is about creating a completely new capture one catalog which doesn't work for me. Last year I gave capture one a shot and well I never went back to lightroom. I wanted to start fresh from a capture one standpoint so I didn't import my existing photos. Now I have this fractured set of photos and need to unify it. I understand there's no direct way to do this. I've never worked with side car files and don't really know how each program would handle them or what they're compatible with? Is exporting with that how I need to go? Do I have to do something with capture one sessions in between the process? These are mostly dng files though some arw, nef, and jpgs. I don't know if I'm going to have issues with certain formats as well? I know the import normally takes long so messing this will be painful if I have to try it multiple times. Thanks for any help.
NNN637061192741052285

Re: Import Lightroom catalog to Existing Capture One catalog

Postby Ian3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 am

You can import a Lightroom catalog into an existing Capture One catalog. File>Import Catalog>Lightroom Catalog...

Whether it is a good idea, or works well, or has any pitfalls, I can't say, never having had to do it. But the feature is there and probably someone else who has done it will be able to say more.

Ian
Ian3

Re: Import Lightroom catalog to Existing Capture One catalog

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:41 pm

What Ian3 said is correct. You can import the LR catalog into your C1 catalogue. As you noted there are some interesting limitations (.dng files don't all work, virtual copies are not brought over etc).

Here is my process for sorting all of that out - it involved using the LR catalog to create a stripped down LR catalog so I could verify that everything came over that should. You can absolutely apply it to your existing C1 catalogue instead of starting with a new empty one. Make sure you back up your C1 catalogue first in case you are not happy with something and you want to adjust and try again.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27207#p130622

Support was also very helpful in my figuring out problems I ran into.
IanL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software