JPEG outputs

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

JPEG outputs

Postby tenmangu81 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi everybody,

I just discovered a strange behaviour in my jpeg outputs (tiff outputs are OK) :

1) When I use the process recipe in the "output" tool, I can display the recipe proofing, which provides a more or less good preview of the output, but the outputs by themselves, once displayed on my screen desktop, are quite a bit different in colours, depending upon the pixel size is (there are differences between 2000 px width and 2000 px height with the same compression and sharpening !!), the compression, i.e. the parameters as the whole.
And none of these outputs looks like what I get on my C1 viewer, with or without proof profile.

2) When I export a variant, all my jpegs, as displayed on my desktop, are identical with what I get on my C1 viewer. It perfectly works....
Very weird.
Did anybody observe such a behaviour ?
Thanks,
Robert
tenmangu81

Re: JPEG outputs

Postby Ian3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 pm

What colour space is specified in the output recipe?

Ian
Ian3

Postby ben_US » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Without seeing any screenshots, my best educated guess is that likely this has to do with the scaling of the raw file and the scaling of the output. This difference predominantly appears when processing a file with lots of small, sharp and contrasty details (think tree bark in full late-afternoon sun). However, this can be rectified by using the Recipe Proofing and zooming in to 100%, then dialing back the sharpening and adjusting color tone as needed. This will give you a WYSIWYG of your output, regardless of scaling.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby NN635299624516976000UL » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

ben_US wrote:Without seeing any screenshots, my best educated guess is that likely this has to do with the scaling of the raw file and the scaling of the output. This difference predominantly appears when processing a file with lots of small, sharp and contrasty details (think tree bark in full late-afternoon sun). However, this can be rectified by using the Recipe Proofing and zooming in to 100%, then dialing back the sharpening and adjusting color tone as needed. This will give you a WYSIWYG of your output, regardless of scaling.

It's not a bug, it's a feature...you can never be confident that you got what you see in CO.
NN635299624516976000UL

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am

ben_US wrote:Without seeing any screenshots, my best educated guess is that likely this has to do with the scaling of the raw file and the scaling of the output. This difference predominantly appears when processing a file with lots of small, sharp and contrasty details (think tree bark in full late-afternoon sun). However, this can be rectified by using the Recipe Proofing and zooming in to 100%, then dialing back the sharpening and adjusting color tone as needed. This will give you a WYSIWYG of your output, regardless of scaling.

Thanks Ben.

Yes, it is the case (very tiny flowers of an almond tree). But I can't understand why it works with Export variant while it is not perfectly satisfactory with the Output recipe. Are there differences in the jpeg conversion processes between output and export variant tools ?

At Ian3: it is sRGB.
tenmangu81

Postby Ian3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm

There shouldn’t be differences between exporting as a jog and the output recipe, unless the settings in the output recipe are different from those in the export process. You could compare. Same colour profile? Same jpg quality setting? Same scale?

Ian
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Ian3 wrote:There shouldn’t be differences between exporting as a jog and the output recipe, unless the settings in the output recipe are different from those in the export process. You could compare. Same colour profile? Same jpg quality setting? Same scale?

Ian

I agree, but what surprises me is that the colour depends upon the recipe parameters, when using the output tool. I was convinced that it should only depend upon the colour space profile, and not upon the jpeg compression rate or the scaling. But maybe I was wrong !!
And anyway, there shouldn't be differences between the profile proofed images on the C1 viewer and what I get once output, using of course the same display.... There aren't when using the export process :?:
tenmangu81

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac