Upgrading to High Sierra from El Capitain

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Upgrading to High Sierra from El Capitain

Postby Moosehead » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 am

I have always kept my OS current but High Sierra really concerns me.

Have you heard of any issues? Anyone else holding on it? Comments? Suggestions?

I know it is just a matter of time and I will have to update.
I have parallels on my MAC but I have not used it for a couple years. Changing the way storage is stored is a serious change. I do not know how they even accomplish the update? I use time machine but I really do not want to go through testing the backup.

Thank you.
Moosehead

Re: Upgrading to High Sierra from El Capitain

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 am

What kind of storage does your computer have? I gather that the new AFPS (Apple File System) can only work on SSDs. It can't be used on standard hard drives, so if you have good old hard drives, it would not change the file system, it seems.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208033

I am holding out against High Sierra too, until it is supported by Media Pro.

Ian
Ian3

Postby C-M-B » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:42 am

You actually can use AFP on hard drives, but they don't benefit from it as much as SSDs do.
C-M-B

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 am

C-M-B wrote:You actually can use AFP on hard drives, but they don't benefit from it as much as SSDs do.

Sorry - didn't know that. But am I right that upgrading to HS won't automatically change the file system on hard drives?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Moosehead » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Great, I did not know that. No SSD for me so that makes me feel better about the update. There must be an option post upgrade that you can convert to the apple file system. My system is running fine so I will not change the file system now.

Thank you.
Moosehead

Postby Ian1111 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 am

From memory you are asked if you wish to upgrade your disks.
Ian
Ian,
still learning!
Ian1111

Postby Moosehead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

I tried upgrading and 6 hours later I at least got back to where I started.

The upgrade was unable to install due to disk verification error. The disk utility could not read either of my two hard drives but finally, after I came back a couple hours later, tried one last time and the disk utility read them. I did a "forget what it was called" but it repaired the drive.

The upgrade should work now but I really can not afford to be dead in the water (which I thought that I was) so I am going to wait. Someone suggested I need to upgrade due to security exposure. I need to do some reading but for now, I am waiting.
Moosehead

Postby Emile » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm

I've never had a macOS upgrade cause me so much effort and time spent talking with Apple support as going from Sierra to High Sierra. Graphic glitches, iCloud photo synching heating my 2017 MBP during sleep, security issues (a root user without password suddenly showing up as an option during log-in) etc. Long list. I'm back on Sierra. Maybe 10.13.3 will address most of my complaints; fingers crossed. Otherwise I'll wait. This is the problem with fixed yearly cycles, especially when changing the foundations as much as Apple did with HS. Are you listening, PhaseOne? ;-)
Canon & Fuji, Mac, Capture One user since 2008 and currently on 11.0
Emile

Postby Moosehead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Emile wrote:I've never had a macOS upgrade cause me so much effort and time spent talking with Apple support as going from Sierra to High Sierra. Graphic glitches, iCloud photo synching heating my 2017 MBP during sleep, security issues (a root user without password suddenly showing up as an option during log-in) etc. Long list. I'm back on Sierra. Maybe 10.13.3 will address most of my complaints; fingers crossed. Otherwise I'll wait. This is the problem with fixed yearly cycles, especially when changing the foundations as much as Apple did with HS. Are you listening, PhaseOne? ;-)

Thanks for Posting Emile.
Moosehead

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Emile,

I don't see things getting any better when the "big boys" - MS and Apple are both into almost synchronised Annual/6 monthly major updates and trickle feeding fixes and features in between.

And the camera manufacturers the same aligned with what are left of the major shows filled in with some random pre-announced releases to pad out the marketing but with availability to consumers post announcement being anything fomr days to months.

Maybe a trickle feed of constant updates (most of which don't seem to do much) like the mobile App industry favours would be the only answer?

Somehow I doubt it - except for the relatively small bands of early adopters from time to time. Even then, were I one of them and dissatisfied with the speed of response of entirely independent 3rd party providers, I would hope that shouting at the Manufacturers for offering poor software of their own would be the more logical reaction. After all it is a "paid for" service as part of the camera purchase isn't it?

But it seems not to be that way.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac