Scripting the solution for iOS device photo ingestion?

Discussion regarding all scripting related questions
Please DO NOT post to this thread anything that is not directly related to scripting of Capture One.

Scripting the solution for iOS device photo ingestion?

Postby NNN636489300259938708 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 am

Hi Folks,

I was hoping someone could offer me some guidance on whether scripting Capture One 20 / Finder is going to solve my "Migration from Aperture to Capture One" problem.

In Aperture, my workflow was very simple:
  • Import:
    • Every camera & iOS device, imports to one managed library.
  • Manage:
    • iOS shots go to an iOS smart album, DSLR etc go to their respective albums.
  • Sync Out:
    • iTunes Syncs the Aperture Library back to iOS devices - I restrict it to "selected albums", and include the iOS smart album, as well as albums of portfolio selects, so my iOS devices end up always having the images & videos they've shot.

I can solve the managed to referenced storage part of the Aperture library problem, so that's not a part of the equation.

What I don't want to do, is have separate DAM apps for cameras and iOS devices, or use cloud syncing etc (eg photos.app for iOS images, and Capture One for the rest). The workflow I have now is ideal but Aperture is dead on its feet, and the sheer quality improvement of the results I get out of Capture One is astounding.

My goal, is to have the process of getting images into my storage & management system, be a single import step, regardless of what device the images are on.

What I need, is a way to automate getting the images off the iOS devices into a temporary folder, so that I can then import them manually from within Capture One. Image Capture in macOS has an app called AutoImporter which is literally made to do that specific task, but since iOS 10 was released, it hasn't worked for anyone (it opens, then quits, and imports no images).

Coming at this from the other direction, would be a way to attach a script to a folder, so that when I manually import images from the iOS device to it (eg in Image Capture), Capture One is fired up, and imports the images with a specific import preset (which puts the images in the correct directory on disk etc).

At the end, the goal is:
  • Import:
    • Manually Import from DSLR directly with Capture One
    • Auto-Import from iOS device to temp folder with (suggestion), then Manually Import with Capture One; or
      • Manually Import with Image Capture, then auto-import to Capture One with (folder action script).
  • Manage:
    • Adjustments etc in Capture One, export
  • Sync Out:
    • iTunes syncs Folders, with the iOS folder, and the "selects" folders enabled.

Sorry, this has gone on a bit - but yes, essentially, can anyone offer a perspective on a solution?
Thanks,
NNN636489300259938708

Re: Scripting the solution for iOS device photo ingestion?

Postby Eric Nepean » Wed May 06, 2020 3:17 pm

This code snippet should enable you to pick out the images from Apple iPhones and Apple Tablets.
After that I think your problem straightforward
  • Select these images
  • Copy them to another collection
  • Remove theem from the existing collection

Code: Select all
tell application "Capture One 20"
   tell current document
      get images whose EXIF camera make is "Apple"
   end tell
end tell
or even
Code: Select all