CaptureOne 11 and Photoshop

Discussion regarding all scripting related questions
Please DO NOT post to this thread anything that is not directly related to scripting of Capture One.

CaptureOne 11 and Photoshop

Postby MikeFromMesa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

I noticed that CaptureOne 11 will no longer allow me to call Photoshop to create panoramas because it is looking for Photoshop 2018 while PS has updated to 2019. I expect to upgrade to 2019 but, in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had created a script to allow version 11 to call PS 2019.

In the same vein, I decided to sit down and try to learn Apple Script so I could simply some of the things I do in C1. While I started to read through an Apple Script tutorial I thought it would be helpful to actually see one of the C1 scripts, just to make sure I know how the calls to C1 are formulated, but I could not find any on my system in the normal places I look. Can anyone point me to one of the existing C1 scripts just to give me an idea of how they look? Or to any other CaptureOne Script?
MikeFromMesa

Re: CaptureOne 11 and Photoshop

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Mike
You can find the script you are are looking for by using finder to "show contents" of the CaptureOne application (right click on the application)

From there look in Contents/Resources/Stitch with Photoshop.app

How did I find this? Open Terminal and type the following command sudo find -x / -iname "*stitch*"
    sudo -- "do as super user"
    find -- find something
    -x -- "don't look in places where there are no files"
    / -- start at the root directory
    -iname -- case insensitive name search
    "*stitch*" -- "stitch" with any characters before and after it

Also check out the script I am about to post in this forum, or some of the ones I have posted here
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=30370&p=151965#p151964
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=30149#p149059
https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=29499

Number 1 Hint: Always always check the Applescript dictionary for the Application you are trying to control.
Eric Nepean

Postby MikeFromMesa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Thank you. I pulled it out of the Resources folder and grabbed the Apple Script source. And thank you for the links to other scripts.

I have never worked in Apple Script so this will be a bit of a discovery effort for me, but I assume code is code so I should eventually figure out how it works. Something to do now that I am retired.
MikeFromMesa

Postby Eric Nepean » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:Thank you. I pulled it out of the Resources folder and grabbed the Apple Script source. And thank you for the links to other scripts.

I have never worked in Apple Script so this will be a bit of a discovery effort for me, but I assume code is code so I should eventually figure out how it works. Something to do now that I am retired.

Applescript and Script Editor don't have many debug features. I find myself coding incrementally - enter a line or two, and check that it compiles. Then embellish a bit more, and then check that it runs.

if you open the Log History window, you can see the messages that Applescript sends to other applications, and what is sent back. I find this useful to observe when there is a problem

Macscripter https://www.macscripter.net/ is a great resource.

If you can afford it and have the interest, Scrip Debugger has very good debug features.
Eric Nepean

Postby MikeFromMesa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 pm

The reason all of this came up is that the Panorama stitching script no longer worked with C1-11 and Photoshop 2019 as the script was looking for Photoshop 2018, and I wanted to get that working again. I had looked at some of the online tutorials for AppleScript but they appeared to be far too basic for me to get much out of them as regards to this issue, so reading an existing script seemed like the best course to follow.

Thanks to your information I was able to get the panorama script from C1 and modify it so that I now can use the pano functionality with PS 2019 so the initial goal is done, but I do want to spend some time and learn how to create new scripts as well as modify existing ones. As you said, there does not seem to be much in the way of debug functionality and I had to rely, at least initially, on the display command, but that gave me the insights that I needed to figure out what was happening.

I suppose it is going to be a bit frustrating, at least initially, as it always is with me when I learn a new language syntax and vocabulary, but now that I am retired I do have some time ...

Thanks again for the help.
MikeFromMesa

Return to Scripting