Apple Script for automated Time Lapse capture

Discussion regarding all scripting related questions
Please DO NOT post to this thread anything that is not directly related to scripting of Capture One.

Apple Script for automated Time Lapse capture

Postby OneTino » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Dear Capture One users,

Can someone help me to write a script to automate a Time Lapse capture over a long period of time using Capture One?
My goal is to automatically shoot a Time Lapse session everyday from 4:00AM until 10:00PM and file images.

My equipment is:
- MacBook Pro retina 2012
- Camera Sony a7iii
- Software Capture One 11

Thank you to let me know how to proceed,

Xavier

Here is a description of the process that I would like to program:

- Start Capture One

- Create a new session

- Create everyday a new session name = “SZ(space)DATE(space)image number(starting from 1…)

- Create every day a specific folder name (DATE)

- Start capture time = 4:00AM

- Repeat:

- Capture image

- Export image from Capture One to the created folder

- After 10 sec. repeat

- Stop capture time = 10:00PM

- Repeat (everyday)

Let me know if you need clarification.

Thank you for your support,

Xavier
OneTino

Re: Apple Script for automated Time Lapse capture

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:56 pm

One thing you must realise is that no one is going to do this entirely for you. Coaching and advice you can get easily. But custom programming, unlikely.

In order to succeed at this, you will not have to become expert but you will have develop some basic competance.

This raises the question: Have ever written any Applescript script? Are you willing to invest your own time to learn some Applescript?

+++++++++++++++

The key thing for a project like this is to keep it very simple, and broken into blocks. And then you proceed one block at a time. If you write the whole thing, and then say "lets debug " your are unlikely to succeed.

I recommend you break this work into three parts. If you do it all as one Applescript, it becomes rather unwieldy and difficult to debug, and difficult to control.

1. Setup - to be done manually
2. Create an event in Calendar, every day at 4AM. Set the alert for this event to custom> open file and then you will select the Applescript from part 3. This will simplify debugging considerably.
3. Create an Applescript that does the daily capture. This you will build up step by step.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You say that you want a new session every day. But you also want a new folder name every day.

Do you really want so many sessions, each containing only one folder with a unique name? What's the point of having a unique folder name then?

When you refer to the image number is the session name, do you mean the number of the first image?

Why not keep it simple, and have only one session dedicated for capture, with a folder with a specific name like “SZ(space)DATE" for each day.

When you want to manipulate the captured images, you move the folder to your working session, I guess on an other computer, and at that point you may check the images, and add the first image number to the name of the folder.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby rapdigital » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:36 pm

Eric is right the simplest approach would be to have iCal start an app each day that creates a new capture folder and set file naming and use a delay for intervals. A bit of search on these boards will get you there
rapdigital
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby OneTino » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:46 am

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your advice and guidance, much appreciated!

Xavier
OneTino

Postby OneTino » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 am

Thank you Rick for your feedback!

Xavier
OneTino

Postby Eric Nepean » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 am

OneTino wrote:Hi Eric,

Thank you for your advice and guidance, much appreciated!

Xavier

Hi Xavier
If you will comment on some of the question I asked, then I can give you futher assistance.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Return to Scripting