Script for Autmatic sorting of Bursts and Brackets

Discussion regarding all scripting related questions
Please DO NOT post to this thread anything that is not directly related to scripting of Capture One.

Script for Autmatic sorting of Bursts and Brackets

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 am

Has anyone had any thoughts about doing one of these?

I'm thinking this is my next project.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Re: Script for Autmatic sorting of Bursts and Brackets

Postby Mahmoud » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 am

Like utilizing sequence ID? or just logic of similar time frame & exposure? I might also did not understand it correct :D. I assume it is like when CO groups a stack.
--

Maybe for the bursts, to collect variants that has the same timestamp +/- (user defined amount of seconds)?
Mahmoud
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:45 am

Mahmoud wrote:Like utilizing sequence ID? or just logic of similar time frame & exposure? I might also did not understand it correct :D. I assume it is like when CO groups a stack.
--

Maybe for the bursts, to collect variants that has the same timestamp +/- (user defined amount of seconds)?

The user scenarios I’m thinking about are when we go out shooting for a day and come back with 100 or more images, sometimes as many as 1000.
But many of these images are taken in groups. Some are taken in a burst , at 5 or 10 FPS to capture some fast moving action. Others may be taken in a burst, with stepped exposure, by stepping Aperture, shutter speed or ISO or even focus.

To be useful, these images first need to be sorted back into the groups in which they were taken (some SW call these stacks), and then the photographer works with each group to pick the best, or perhaps combines several images into one. But this sorting is very time consuming.

So my thought is that I will write AppleScript that can recognize image groups in a project according to time stamps. Both bursts and bracket and sequences will have time stamps which are very close together, and come from the same camera and lens.

Then, create a group “Stacks” in the project, and in this group, albums, with an album for each group of images. The AppleScript will identify the groups, create the albums and move the images into each album.
Cheers, Eric
[late 2015 iMac, 4GHz i7, 24GB RAM, external SSDs. GX8, E-M1, GX7, GM5, GM1 ....]
Eric Nepean

Postby Mahmoud » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I guessed right then :D & Love the idea!!
I'm only aware of "EXIF capture date" within CO, which returns "Friday, March 2, 2018 at 5:55:36 PM". handling this as text is difficult for me to figure out with my basic AppleScript experience, as so far I can think of omitting unwanted characters, but it will vary with deferent day of week names, and 2 digit day vs one digit day, same as month name :D
I'm sure you will find a better way though. but I love the thinking part. good to keep those grey cells working with something :D :D
Mahmoud
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Eric Nepean » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 pm

About a year ago I wrote an AppleScript to identify duplicates-this was based on dates.
The first others user was someone in Australia, and even between Canada and Australia we had date issues. (I wasn’t surprised, one of my canoeing buddies is an Aussie, half the time we can’t understand him :lol: we’ve discussed getting a translator :D )

I got around the AppleScript problem by getting the date as the number of seconds from a reference date, that gets rid of localization differences.

I’m thinking the group should also be identified as a text string in one of the less commonly used IPTC fields, are you using any IPTC fields for your images?
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby Digital Transitions, Doug » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:About a year ago I wrote an AppleScript to identify duplicates-this was based on dates.
The first others user was someone in Australia, and even between Canada and Australia we had date issues. (I wasn’t surprised, one of my canoeing buddies is an Aussie, half the time we can’t understand him :lol: we’ve discussed getting a translator

For other readers looking for a similar script you can find Identify Duplicates by Date/Time in the DT Building Blocks AppleScripts for Capture One: https://digitaltransitions.com/dt-build ... plescripts
Digital Transitions, Doug
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN636827832987301913UL » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am

Eric Nepean wrote:Has anyone had any thoughts about doing one of these?

I think I am also facing this issue. Did you get any proper solution?
NN636827832987301913UL

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:35 am

NN636827832987301913UL wrote:
Eric Nepean wrote:Has anyone had any thoughts about doing one of these?

I think I am also facing this issue. Did you get any proper solution?

I think I wrote something not too bad, then got distracted by a couple of other projects. I thought I would wait until CO12 came out, in case they would include this in CO12, however they have not.

One of my limitations is that I only have Panasonic and Olympus image files, I have little idea what the EXIF data looks like for burst images from other cameras like Canon or Nikon, and no test images.

What kind of cameras are you using? Would you be be willing to send me some jpg and raw images from a burst?
Cheers, Eric
Eric Nepean

Return to Scripting