Folder view

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Folder view

Postby Meh1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 pm

I am currently reviewing my trial version of Capture One Pro for Mac considering switching from Lightroom. This is my first time I use Capture One so bare with me.

I have a folder structure build like this:
20150116 event
20150119 event
20150208 event
20150306 event
20150317 event
20150321 event

aso

I have imported these folders into a Capture One catalogue. The only folders with pictures are the folder with events. In Lightroom when I select a month folder, I see all photos stashed in events in that particular month. In Capture One I only see pictures when I select an event folder. When I don't exactly know when I took a particular picture but I know I took it in March 2015, I select the folder 3 within folder 2015 and I see all photos that I took in March.
Is there a way to make Capture One show all photos stashed in the subfolders when I select the folder holding these subfolders?

Thanks very much.
Meh
Meh1999

Re: Folder view

Postby John Doe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Why don't you use filters? Select "All Images" then in the Filters tool click on the relevant criteria.
John Doe

Postby nbirkett » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and was told 'no'. You can do this by setting up albums, etc. I have submitted a feature request asking Phase One to consider adding in a 'view photos in sub-folders' option.
nbirkett

Postby syncrasy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 pm

By the way, Phase One's Media Pro does this. It's called "Union of Folder Hierarchies."
syncrasy

Postby Meh1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone. It's really appreciated.

About these "albums": is there a way to import a Lightroon library / folder structure in such a way I automatically have such albums?

Should I consider bying Media Pro rather than Capture One?
Meh1999

Postby gusferlizi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Meh1999 wrote:Thanks everyone. It's really appreciated.

About these "albums": is there a way to import a Lightroon library / folder structure in such a way I automatically have such albums?

Media Pro is similar to Adobe Bridge. It's not a RAW processor.

I think you'll be fine with the somewhat misleading folder hierarchy.

I suggest you start new projects as sessions, since they are easier to handle, and you can import them into catalogs later.
gusferlizi

Postby nbirkett » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Meh1999 wrote:Thanks everyone. It's really appreciated.

No. When you import from Lightroom, Capture One converts LR collections into groups, not projects. I couldn't find any way to automatically create albums. Doing it manually can be slow.

As I understand it, Media Pro is an excellent cataloging/DAM system but does not have editing capabilities. It would not be a replacement for Capture One if you are planning on using Capture One to edit images.
nbirkett

Postby Meh1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks again.

I am looking for a Lightroom alternative. That's how I came here :-)

So I want a DAM and a raw editing tool. One option is Media Pro combined with the new Pixelamtor Pro. One other option is Capture One.

I suggest you start new projects as sessions, since they are easier to handle, and you can import them into catalogs later.

How would my workflow be, coming from a Lightroom library holding a little less than 20,000 photos? My main concern are the keywords that I use in Lightroom.
Last edited by Meh1999 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meh1999

Postby Ian3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Meh1999 wrote:Thanks again.

I am looking for a Lightroom alternative. That's how I came here :-)

So I want a DAM and a raw editing tool. One option is Media Pro combined with the new Pixelamtor Pro. One other option is Capture One.

How would my workflow be, coming from a Lightroom library holding a little less than 20,00 photos? My main concern are the keywords that I use in Lightroom.

Another option (more expensive, obviously) is Media Pro combined with Capture One using Sessions. (Which is what I do.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN635800043462984933UL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Having an option to include subfolders when viewing a folder would be great, though.

I'm in the same boat as Meh1999, my folder structure is quite similar. Currently I come around that limitation by using a smart collection hierarchy and/or filtering. Somehow it feels like over-engineering a simple task, but it works.
On the other hand it makes a lot of sense not to include subfolders when viewing a folder in the browser especially if you have thousands of pictures in there, but then again, make it optional, default to false (no change to current behavior), everybody happy.
NN635800043462984933UL

Postby syncrasy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm

I think having the option to view both master folder and subfolder contents is basic to a good DAM. For example, I recently split a single archive folder containing nearly 30,000 files into "year" subfolders to improve loading performance of both my RAW editor and Media Pro. If I need to edit an image, I go to the appropriate subfolder. But often I'll need to view all of my images (e.g, to perform batch annotations, or to perform a quick keyword search on only that folder). The option to "Show Union of Folder Hierarchies" makes this task simple. No need for smart folders or filters. It would be wise for PO to add this functionality to CO.

I use Media Pro as my "home base" in conjunction with image editors (Nikon Capture, Photoshop). I never purchased CO because I already had a DAM solution (Media Pro) and a RAW editor over 12 years ago (before Aperture or Lightroom became popular). This might change in the future, but for now I'm happy.

If you are interested in more powerful DAM features, definitely take a look at Media Pro in combination with your favorite RAW editor (e.g., CO with sessions). After reading about the limitations of CO's catalog/DAM abilities, I put together this thread: "Capture One catalogs vs Media Pro: DAM Feature Comparison". It's a work in progress, but I think it's a fairly accurate summary of the strengths and shortcomings of both applications.
syncrasy

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software