Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby nothing » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

same issue here with the same setup (windows 10 creators fall edition + latest updates) and c1 10.2. It seems that all changes are saved into TMP files, but not copied into respective adjustment .cos file. From NNN635796750580192506 example above please shut down C1, check the latest change date of tmp file and rename that files it into respective .cos file, your adjustnemts should be restored. For instance if "_COP3673.NEF.cos~RF178b9c5.TMP~RF1792011.TMP~RF17931f3.TMP" is the latest file for all files starting with "_COP3673.NEF.cos", you should rename that "_COP3673.NEF.cos~RF178b9c5.TMP~RF1792011.TMP~RF17931f3.TMP" file into "_COP3673.NEF.cos"; start C1 and probably regenerate preview for that file to sync preview and adjustments.
nothing
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm

nothing wrote:same issue here with the same setup (windows 10 creators fall edition + latest updates) and c1 10.2. It seems that all changes are saved into TMP files, but not copied into respective adjustment .cos file. From NNN635796750580192506 example above please shut down C1, check the latest change date of tmp file and rename that files it into respective .cos file, your adjustnemts should be restored. For instance if "_COP3673.NEF.cos~RF178b9c5.TMP~RF1792011.TMP~RF17931f3.TMP" is the latest file for all files starting with "_COP3673.NEF.cos", you should rename that "_COP3673.NEF.cos~RF178b9c5.TMP~RF1792011.TMP~RF17931f3.TMP" file into "_COP3673.NEF.cos"; start C1 and probably regenerate preview for that file to sync preview and adjustments.


At a glance it looks like the files from working memory are not being renamed correctly from the .TMP version so that they replace the previous .cos file (a very frequent action in C1 since it perpetually updates the edit files.)
SFA
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby nothing » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 am

SFA wrote:At a glance it looks like the files from working memory are not being renamed correctly from the .TMP version so that they replace the previous .cos file (a very frequent action in C1 since it perpetually updates the edit files.)


Correct!! and C1 keeps on multiplying them with additional .TMP parts
nothing
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am

According to some information I have read there is a facility to roll back the windows update automatically so long as you use it within 10 days of the problem installation.

It would seem like a wise things to do if you still have the option.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby nothing » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:43 pm

it doesn't look like windows 10 specific problem, more like C1 defect.
nothing
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:00 pm

nothing wrote:it doesn't look like windows 10 specific problem, more like C1 defect.


So a defect that that has never appeared before afaik and seems to coincide with the installation of Win 10 Creators Update Fall edition which, if I understand it correctly, is something that should be treated as a beta test platform rather than a full release.

That's an interesting view of things.

If the problem still exists when MS have released some patches and Capture One has been released as an approved version for Win 10 Creator Edition Fall update, then you might claim a defect. Until then to do so seems to be going against all the evidence in this thread.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby nothing » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 pm

SFA wrote:
nothing wrote:it doesn't look like windows 10 specific problem, more like C1 defect.


So a defect that that has never appeared before afaik and seems to coincide with the installation of Win 10 Creators Update Fall edition which, if I understand it correctly, is something that should be treated as a beta test platform rather than a full release.
....
Grant


This is wrong, as per Microsoft website Win 10 Creators Fall Edition (build 16299.19) is the latest recommended version.

MS Release info
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx
nothing
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:20 pm

nothing wrote:
SFA wrote:
nothing wrote:it doesn't look like windows 10 specific problem, more like C1 defect.


So a defect that that has never appeared before afaik and seems to coincide with the installation of Win 10 Creators Update Fall edition which, if I understand it correctly, is something that should be treated as a beta test platform rather than a full release.
....
Grant


This is wrong, as per Microsoft website Win 10 Creators Fall Edition (build 16299.19) is the latest recommended version.

MS Release info
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx


Read the second paragraph of your link carefully.

Also, are you a "Creator" or just a user?

As a developer or if responsible for corporate deployment you may well feel a desire to deploy the latest releases on some sample machines to see what happens. It would be you job and part of preparing for the future. If you adopt that approach MS are suggesting that the Semi-annual release like this one is the bast one to choose right now. They seem to be copying what Apple have been doing (with similar results) for years.

As a user .... maybe not so useful.

I doubt the large corporates are likely to be rushing this out. The needs of corporates are rarely satisfied by being early adopters. Heck, many have only recently moved from XP and some have yet to make that transition.


Grant


ETA:

Coincidentally to writing the above I was in conversation with a long time colleague who happens to be managing a corporate roll out scheduled for about a year from now (at this time). Having taken advice from an authoritative source (and even though they are doing no more than watching and testing for potential problems with the several hundred applications in use across the user base) they are not expecting to do anything with the latest Creator release at this time even though any installation they might perform would be entirely non-critical for operational purposes.

He is awaiting confirmation that it is worth returning to updates as they become available.

My impression is that if you are prompted to take the update than MS are likely to be reasonably confident that your configuration is suitable. (Not guaranteed but worth a tryout).

If you go chasing the update without a prompt from MS then best to take care and be cautious.
SFA
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby WPNL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Same here with the same setup (clean install of Windows 10 Creators Fall Edition + updates) and C1 10.2.
I thought I was going crazy or my memory was playing tricks on me because I was losing work :-\
WPNL
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby Christian Gruner » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Fall Creators Edition of Windows (1709) has introduced a change to filehandling, which Capture One uses. We are currently looking for a solution.

Capture One 10 does not support Windows 10 Fall Creators update.
We recommend users to downgrade to 1703 or lower in order for Capture One to work as designed, because of the introduced change to the OS described above.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:48 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby WPNL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, but...
How long do you ecpect it'll be before it is supported, because re-installing is quite serious/time consuming (I use other software besides C1).

I'd hate to get an update two hours after I completed the 'downgrade' ;-)
WPNL
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby Luke_Miller » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm

So far, C1 10.2 appears to work properly after the Win 10 Fall Creator Update in Catalog Mode.
Luke_Miller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:49 am

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby Christian Gruner » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:24 pm

WPNL wrote:Thanks for the advice, but...
How long do you ecpect it'll be before it is supported, because re-installing is quite serious/time consuming (I use other software besides C1).

I'd hate to get an update two hours after I completed the 'downgrade' ;-)


I cannot give any timeline, but obviously we want to address this as soon as possible.

Regarding roll-back, then MS have made it quite easy to do that: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a226302657
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:48 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby xplatinum » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 am

Could this also affect my thumbnails being regenerated every time I start the application? The .cot files.
xplatinum
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:11 am

Re: Editing changes not saved upon exiting C1

Postby WPNL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am

I did a clean install...

But I would have appreciated if I was warned for this, a newsletter or post on social media would have been enough.
What about the users that don't regularly visit this forum???
WPNL
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests