writing keywords and IPTC to the JPG

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

writing keywords and IPTC to the JPG

Postby NN635790973675498599UL » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:16 am

I've hit a question I can't seem to answer with the usual bit of Googling: how do I get C1P10 to actually write keywords and IPTC to a file? I find the file I want, go to the Info tab, enter keywords, title, caption, etc; they're saved, but not actually written into the JPG file. I need to do that, before I upload a photo to a POD for sale. And the last thing I want to do is 'export' another copy of the file, just to get the keywords and IPTC written into it. LR has "write metadata to file"; I can't find the C1 equivalent.
NN635790973675498599UL

Re: writing keywords and IPTC to the JPG

Postby lilo shinet » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:39 am

you have to go to parameters in output section and include metadata & IPTC into the export file, and so they will be wrote in the output file jpg or else.
lilo shinet

Postby NN635790973675498599UL » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:15 pm

lilo shinet wrote:you have to go to parameters in output section and include metadata & IPTC into the export file, and so they will be wrote in the output file jpg or else.

But I already have the output file (jpg). And I don't want to create another, because it's been further edited in PS. I want to write the metadata into the existing file. LR can do that, so can many other applictions. If C1 can't do that, it's metadata features are useless, because you always end up adding new keywords later, adding to the description, etc.
NN635790973675498599UL

Postby SFA » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:43 pm

NN635790973675498599UL wrote:
lilo shinet wrote:you have to go to parameters in output section and include metadata & IPTC into the export file, and so they will be wrote in the output file jpg or else.

But I already have the output file (jpg). And I don't want to create another, because it's been further edited in PS. I want to write the metadata into the existing file. LR can do that, so can many other applictions. If C1 can't do that, it's metadata features are useless, because you always end up adding new keywords later, adding to the description, etc.

To Capture One any Source file, RAW or otherwise, is considered as an original input that will never be changed.

If you regularly make such changes to your output files (also to the original originals?) it would, surely, be sensible to use an "Exif" editing tool would it not? Nothing in that you described suggests that the best option is to go back into an edit application to achieve what you want to do.

On the other hand if you are also intending to change the IPTC details or add keywords to your original work you can save some effort by adding things there and re-outputting.

Moreover, if you have added something additional in PS (thus clearly making a new "original" in Capture One terms) why not add the additional information from there? By the time you get to that point post PS work the image has little to do with Capture One as an editor of any sort.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635790973675498599UL » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Yes, obviously I could use another tool, the whole point is that C1 has the browser, reads and displays the metadata, lets me edit it, but then writes it to a sidecar file where it's of no use to me at all. Rewriting the JPG file to include changes is trivial, and LR has always done this.

If I could tell the 'process recipe' to overwrite the existing file instead of creating a new one with ".1" appended, that would accomplish what I need. But apparently that isn't allowed.

I'm in the process of moving from LR to C1 and this is the first thing I've encountered that I have to say is just totally lame.
NN635790973675498599UL

Postby NN635938471910198527UL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:53 pm

I second that.

It is great to have metadata editor but what is for if you cannot add on-the fly data.

I understand RAW is never good idea to modify unless you feel Kamikaze.

But old already-outputted JPEGs for microstock cannot be modified without again reprocessing image???

If there was at least non-destructive way to process keywords/metadata

in my case...I like C1 so much that I will smoothly replace DxO Optics Pro by C1...even better (at least I thought), I can uninstall XnViewMP from Mac and use only C1. To my surprise, I cannot import archived JPEGs and keyword them without destructive reprocessing.

Imagine I have some files only in HQ JPEGs because I don't store unimportant photos in large RAW files (JPEG 10MB still better than 30MB RAW right?)
NN635938471910198527UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:01 pm

An other route you can take is to introduce side car XMP files for metadata. The advantage is that Capture One writes metadata (IPTC which should include keywords) to the XMP files and other software reads it. No re-processing necessary.
As a bonus, metadata written or changed by other software can be read by Capture One.

The disadvantage of this solution is that you now have a sidecar file next to the image file.

How-to: in Preferences, Image tab, Metadata section, Sync > Full Sync.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby XCL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I just hit that roadblock as well. I can understand the philosophy of not modifying the original file, at least as a default behavior, especially for RAW. However, by the time it gets to DAM functionality and JPEG containers that offer built-in Metadata storage, the inability to edit Metadata is a major pain. That makes backing up to NAS, cloud services, etc, a headache. Using XMP sidecars sounds like overkill when all one wants to do is add keywords to a selection of pictures.

I'm looking at a collection of about 60k pictures, all of them sorted in collections and smart albums, and most of them labeled with additional keywords, and I'm finding I can't export these keywords short of exporting new variants. :cry:

Does anyone know of a tool that can combine sidecar metadata from an XMP container with a JPEG file? Or has anyone figured out another workaround?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Xavier
XCL

Postby XCL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:37 pm

XCL wrote:I just hit that roadblock as well. I can understand the philosophy of not modifying the original file, at least as a default behavior, especially for RAW. However, by the time it gets to DAM functionality and JPEG containers that offer built-in Metadata storage, the inability to edit Metadata is a major pain. That makes backing up to NAS, cloud services, etc, a headache. Using XMP sidecars sounds like overkill when all one wants to do is add keywords to a selection of pictures.

I'm looking at a collection of about 60k pictures, all of them sorted in collections and smart albums, and most of them labeled with additional keywords, and I'm finding I can't export these keywords short of exporting new variants. :cry:

Does anyone know of a tool that can combine sidecar metadata from an XMP container with a JPEG file? Or has anyone figured out another workaround?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Xavier

To answer that last question, ExifTool can batch embedded the XMP info into the JPEG files.
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=4659.0
XCL

Return to Capture One 10.x Software