DNG output w variants looks totally bizarre

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

DNG output w variants looks totally bizarre

Postby eikonphoto » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Everyone.
I have a client that insists on DNG file delivery with corrections embedded (this is not something I've done before).
When I output the files look absolutely disgusting, greens and reds everywhere. I mean AWFUL. I've spent hours researching but no fix that I can find. Had anyone else experienced this? I would attach a file if I could - but don't see that option here.
I shoot sony in raw. As an experiment I also tried a nikon raw file, and same issue.
eikonphoto

Re: DNG output w variants looks totally bizarre

Postby Bobtographer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 am

Wow. hope they're paying well!

No troubles exporting Canon RAW files with V10 or V11
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 390 8GB | 32GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 11.1.1 | Win10 64Pro
Bobtographer

Postby John Doe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 am

You can't attach a file here, you'll need to upload it to a hosting site.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby eikonphoto » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Yes, paying well. There aren't that many org that have an archive department these days.

BUG IN CAPTURE ONE
So here's the answer from Phase One Tech

There appears to be an issue with Capture One processing of A9 images to DNG. bear in mind that any of the work you do will not be passed to DNG anyway since it is just a new raw file (the adjustments you can "embed" can only be from Adobe products in DNG). Therefore until we can fix this bug, I'd recommend doing DNG conversions from the basic Adobe DNG converter app.

This is pretty unacceptable from software designed for use by pro photographers.

I had to import to Lightroom process and output to DNG with embedded corrections. Created hours of additional work.
eikonphoto

Postby IanL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:25 pm

eikonphoto wrote:bear in mind that any of the work you do will not be passed to DNG anyway since it is just a new raw file (the adjustments you can "embed" can only be from Adobe products in DNG

But isn't that the problem with DNG - it's Adobe's proprietary format :D Yes, I know they call it open but I doesn't feel like it is really.

Question: Can you create a DNG from a TIFF? If so then you could use C1 to do your processing and export as a TIFF. Then use an Adboe product to produce a DNG file from the TIFF.

I found some discussion about making DNG from TIFF - here are some links:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4038995
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/398363
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3836520
IanL

Postby John Doe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 pm

With Capture One, you should probably use EIP instead of DNG.
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby eikonphoto » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Yes whilst EIP may be better ... the client requires DNG for their archive purposes.
Capture One should have this capability
eikonphoto

Postby eikonphoto » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Ian. I agree DNG is not really open. Another user posted that they have no problem outputting to DNG from canon.
In addition, why show the option of outputting to DNG if the results are so awful. Anyway at least Phase One now know this is a bug. I hope they intend to fix it. If not, then remove dng as an output option.
eikonphoto

Postby John Doe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm

eikonphoto wrote:Yes whilst EIP may be better ... the client requires DNG for their archive purposes.
Capture One should have this capability

Doesn't make much sense to archive DNGs if your work is done with Capture One.
John Doe

Postby eikonphoto » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm

John. I work with Capture One Pro. The client archives in DNG. They have hundreds of photographers working for them over the course of a year. What I choose to work in is not their issue. Inconvenient as all heck for me, but if the client wants dng then I deliver dng. Just as well I did not get rid of Lightroom
eikonphoto

Postby John Doe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:20 pm

If they want DNG + embedded corrections, I don't think you have any other choice than an Adobe product (Lightroom or Camera Raw). Even if Capture One included corrections in its DNGs, your client would need Capture One to read them.
John Doe

Postby Dinarius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Interesting thread.

I have a client who, when I shoot Hasselblad, insists on a TIFF and a Hassie RAW for archive.

D.
Dinarius

Postby Roger_3006 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 pm

eikonphoto wrote:John. I work with Capture One Pro. The client archives in DNG. They have hundreds of photographers working for them over the course of a year. What I choose to work in is not their issue. Inconvenient as all heck for me, but if the client wants dng then I deliver dng. Just as well I did not get rid of Lightroom

The client may not always be right but they are the ones that always (hopefully) write the check. Something all of us should keep in mine.

Y'all have a wonderful day.

R
Roger_3006

Postby photoGrant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:37 pm

IanL wrote:
eikonphoto wrote:bear in mind that any of the work you do will not be passed to DNG anyway since it is just a new raw file (the adjustments you can "embed" can only be from Adobe products in DNG

But isn't that the problem with DNG - it's Adobe's proprietary format :D Yes, I know they call it open but I doesn't feel like it is really.

I think you're conflating what is competing companies looking for the same dollar, and advertising their own secret sauce. Adobe are literally wanting to wash their ownership of DNG and turn it into an ISO standard -- I'm not sure how much more open you would like.

Phase can't adopt their competitions format without the public inferring and the wall for the garden falling down.

This has little to do with technical and more to do with politics.
Grant Hodgeon
Digital Imaging Technician
North America | Europe

http://www.photogrant.com
photoGrant

Return to Capture One 10.x Software