Connecting RAW to JPG

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x for Windows

Connecting RAW to JPG

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I have a problem with my workflow.

Working with the Catalogue I import RAW and sometimes JPG.
Lets say I import my images in RAW. I do all adjustments and rate them with stars and colors.
Then I export it as JPG so I have rated RAW-Images and JPG for external use.
One day I clean up my RAW as I do not need it anymore but still want the JPG in my catalogue so I delete them.
When I Import the JPG all my ratings are gone ... and actually I look for a way to store the relation between JPG an RAW so it switches to JPG when RAW is not present

But actually I rather want to have both in my catalog and the program to detect the connetion and showing either the RAW or the JPG allways with my rating and keywords.

Hmmm.... any hints?
NNN636428017489683868

Re: Connecting RAW to JPG

Postby Samoreen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi,

I have only one advice : do not delete your RAW files. It's like burning your negatives after the images have been printed. A few authors do this in order to raise their price (the buyer can rest assured that no other print will be made).

But this doesn't answer your question, I guess. Sorry.
Samoreen

Postby mli20 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:...
Then I export it as JPG so I have rated RAW-Images and JPG for external use.
When I Import the JPG all my ratings are gone ...

My best guess is they were never there, possibly, when exporting you forgot to check the

- Export Recipe/Metadata/Include Rating and Color Tag checkbox

Best,
Mogens
mli20

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks Mogens

I found the hidden flag and it exports / imports the rating and keywords like charm :D

That did more than 60% of the job!!!

still my exotic idea:
... and actually I look for a way to store the relation between JPG an RAW so it switches to JPG when RAW is not present

is still there. I know it is a little utopic but i give it a chance ...
NNN636428017489683868

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 pm

In computer terms there really is no connection except, at some point, part of a file name.

Many cameras produce file names that can repeat every 9999 images unless other steps are taken for naming. There is, in fact, no need for an "original" file, of any file type, to be on the same machine or in the same archive as an "original" RAW file.

So the safest thing a photographer (or any digital media file user), can do is is to fully and completely manage their digital assets at all times - assuming they assets have enough importance and value to make the effort worth taking the time to do so.

That also makes them independent of the tools used to edit and "catalogue" them.

On the other hand if you wish to propose an enhancement request the best thing to to do is create a Support Case. Put "Enhancement Request: ... description ...." in the title and complete the report describing what you think you need.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636428017489683868 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 am

Hi Grant

thanks for your clear answer. I fully agree with you.

I got rid of the 9999 problem by writing my own importroutine from my sd-card, so I get always an unique and sensful filename (but thats not subject of this conversation).

I just wondered if someone had an idea to my exotic idea. Probably I'm alone with my whish, as the most users keep theyr RAW-files anyway. - I m new in using RAW and also Capture One, whitch I consider to manage my pictures in the future. So I just test it out throughoutly considering all potential needs.

For me is ok importing the jpeg when I delete my RAW... so I adjust my personal workflow like that.

Thanks
Markus
NNN636428017489683868

Postby Ian3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 am

I find that one of the good reasons for keeping my RAW files is that I may want to go back to them later and reprocess them. Only yesterday, I was sorting through some photos from a visit to Belgium three years ago. I came across some and thought that I could do better with them than I had done at the time because (1) Capture One has newer and better features now than it did then, and (2) I have improved in my skills with the app. Having reworked them, I am much better pleased with the result. So I would keep the RAWs unless you have a compelling reason to get rid of them.

Ian
Ian3

Postby SFA » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am

NNN636428017489683868 wrote:Hi Grant

t
I got rid of the 9999 problem by writing my own importroutine from my sd-card, so I get always an unique and sensful filename (but thats not subject of this conversation).

Markus,

You can do that when you import using Capture One.

It is also very easy to import both RAW and jpg and then save them in different folders if that helps the workflow. Combine then again later if you wish of keep them separate so that camera jpg and the jpgs from the images processed from RAW can be clearly identified. There are several possible approaches to do that quite simply.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 10.x Software for Windows