Selective noise reduction in C1 ?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x for Windows

Selective noise reduction in C1 ?

Postby Wolfgang1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 pm

I have been using CaptureOne since v 2 and now have v10. I'm trying to apply a selective noise reduction on the background of my files while leaving the subject (i.e a bird) unchanged (or apply less noise reduction) in order to preserve the feather details. Here is what I recently learnt from experts who all are working with LR: In the first step the noise reduction is applied globally at 100% to smoothen the whole image, then a mask is painted on the main subject and finally the sliders for noise reduction and detail are pulled back to the default or the desired setting. I have not succeeded to copy this procedure in C1 so far: If I want to bring back the original noise & detail settings to subject via the mask, the noise is globally back in the background too, that’s to say it doesn’t work just for the mask though the layer of the mask is preselected, of course. I guess it’s a user error rather than a bug but I have not found a solution and have been forced to circumnavigate the selective noise reducktion in PS via the quick selection tool and masking which is not what you want to do for hundreds of files.
The procedure of selective noise reduction works impressively well and quick in LR, the more as the auto masking seems to work much better in LR than in C1, especially if the background is a bit busy and the subject is not extremely well separated in color and contrast.

Any help regarding the procedure mentioned above and also for improvement of the automasking in C1 is appreciated

Thank you in advance

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de
Wolfgang1

Re: Selective noise reduction in C1 ?

Postby John Doe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Check you're using the denoise tool for local adjustments (the one with a small brush to the right of its name) and not the global denoise tool.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.0 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Re: Selective noise reduction in C1 ?

Postby Wolfgang1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 am

John Doe wrote:Check you're using the denoise tool for local adjustments (the one with a small brush to the right of its name) and not the global denoise tool.

Bingo! In fact I had erratically taken the global denoise tool - Thank you ! Any hints for optimizing the automasking if painting with the brush ?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang1

Return to Capture One 10.x Software for Windows