Tethering Canon Mark IV with 30ft cord

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Tethering Canon Mark IV with 30ft cord

Postby Brian 33 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi,

I have been using C1 for a long time. I recently switched to the 5d mk 4. I can no longer get a stable connection using a USB repeater. I have even tried using a powered powered repeater with better results, but it is far from reliable. Any suggestions??

Most of the time I am using a new Macbook pro with usb-c.

Is c1 11 going to be any better?

Thanks!
Brian 33

Re: Tethering Canon Mark IV with 30ft cord

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

With the Canon 5D Mk IV you now have a USB 3 connection. Compared to the older USB 2.x the USB 3 connection is much more prone to disruptions and requires specific hardware.

You may contact Phase One support for advice. They are the experts in this field.

And no, CO Pro 11 won't help. It is a hardware issue.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby ben_US » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Brian 33 wrote:Hi,

I have been using C1 for a long time. I recently switched to the 5d mk 4. I can no longer get a stable connection using a USB repeater. I have even tried using a powered powered repeater with better results, but it is far from reliable. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

30' of USB-3 is pushing it (15' is the accepted spec). You may already know, but for everyone's sake: Powered repeaters need to have DC input to actually be powered, and 'active' repeaters don't do anything different from 'passive' unless there's power coming in. I've had great success with StarTech powered repeaters (this one, in particular: https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-3.0/10-Meter-33-Foot-USB-30-Active-Extension-Cable~USB3AAEXT10M)

The software doesn't control the camera connection, though the OS controls the resources of the USB-C (and USB-3, and USB-2) ports, and on occasion will cut resources to a port, causing a camera disconnect that requires a reboot to restore (or you could use another available port). It's also worth noting that USB ports on cameras can and will go bad, causing a similar symptom.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks Ben for your detailed response.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Terence2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 am

ben_US wrote:
Brian 33 wrote:Hi,

Thanks!

30' of USB-3 is pushing it (15' is the accepted spec). You may already know, but for everyone's sake: Powered repeaters need to have DC input to actually be powered, and 'active' repeaters don't do anything different from 'passive' unless there's power coming in. I've had great success with StarTech powered repeaters (this one, in particular: https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-3.0/10-Meter-33-Foot-USB-30-Active-Extension-Cable~USB3AAEXT10M)

The software doesn't control the camera connection, though the OS controls the resources of the USB-C (and USB-3, and USB-2) ports, and on occasion will cut resources to a port, causing a camera disconnect that requires a reboot to restore (or you could use another available port). It's also worth noting that USB ports on cameras can and will go bad, causing a similar symptom.

Ben, does this cable require a power source (like something plugged into a wall) when used with a MacBook Pro and an IQ back?
Terence2

Postby ben_US » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 pm

To operate reliably, yes, particularly with MacBook Pros as the OS is prone to lower dedicated resources to the ports when there is low activity in order to save laptop battery.
15'/5m cables tend to be fine.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 10.x Software