Very blurry thumbnails

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x for Mac

Very blurry thumbnails

Postby cryptochrome » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi,

I am just starting out with Capture One and after playing around with it some time, decided to import my whole photo collection. It took some 8 hours to create all the previews and once completed, I now have a few problems:

1. Thumbnails are really really blurry and not sharp

2. Even though previews were created for everything, when I click on a photo to open it in the viewer, I get the spinning wheel for a few seconds and it looks as if Capture One would be creating the preview for that photo only then.

3. Some of my photos appear to get cropped automatically during import, at least I can see the crop mask on a lot of my photos.

Preview size in my options is set to 5120px, so that shouldn't be the issue. I am working on a Retina 5k iMac with SSD only, so I don't see a reason for opening photos slowly either.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?
cryptochrome

Re: Very blurry thumbnails

Postby Ian3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

On question 3, the cropping you see is probably because a lens correction is being applied automatically by Capture One. This gets asked quite a lot in the forum so if you search you will find out more, including how to turn off automatic lens corrections if you want to.

Ian
Ian3

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm

On question 1, it should be remembered that thumbnails are very low definition pictures, just to have a look at. They shouldn't be used for having a general idea of the quality of a picture. Only previews are to be considered to assess and work on.
tenmangu81

Postby cryptochrome » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:On question 1, it should be remembered that thumbnails are very low definition pictures, just to have a look at. They shouldn't be used for having a general idea of the quality of a picture. Only previews are to be considered to assess and work on.

Thanks, and that's ok. But they are really super-blurry.

Just to give you an idea, here is a screenshot. As you can see, the three color versions are extremely blurry while the black and white version, which is an edited TIF (edited in external editor) is much sharper in comparison. To me this looks pretty fishy.

Well... I was just about to attach a screenshot, not possible. Then I was about to paste the link to the image in here, not possible (the forum admins somehow disabled copy & paste on this forum).
cryptochrome

Return to Capture One 10.x Software for Mac