Import and MOVE

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Import and MOVE

Postby wOOge » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to import 5,000+ images into C1P9.3 from a location on my HD and am looking to have C1P move the files from where they are into a new directory but organized by year/date.

So of the three options to import there are:

A) Import In Place
B) Import To Catalog
C) Import to destination

I am trying to do "C". The issue is the import *copies* the images instead of moving them.
The "Erase Images After Copying" checkbox is disabled for some reason.

Anyone know how I can import and *move* photos to the destination?
wOOge

Re: Import and MOVE

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Once you have a proven successful copy process that you are entirely confident about ....

.... can you not simply delete the set you no longer want?

Importing from a card and deleting afterwards (assuming you also went for the backup copy option) might have its supporters. I'm not usually one of them.

From "another location" might well include files that are already "in use" by a different application and need to stay where they are.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby wOOge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 am

Normally I would do that, but in this case I'm moving from one location on a local HD to another location on the same HD — and there isn't enough room on the HD for a complete duplicate of everything.

Incidentally, the only reason I'm doing this is as a work around to force C1P to re-organize all of the files into nested directories by date since adding "in place" doesn't move anything.

Trying to migrate away from LR and bring everything into C1P.
wOOge

Postby SFA » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:43 am

wOOge wrote:Normally I would do that, but in this case I'm moving from one location on a local HD to another location on the same HD — and there isn't enough room on the HD for a complete duplicate of everything.

Incidentally, the only reason I'm doing this is as a work around to force C1P to re-organize all of the files into nested directories by date since adding "in place" doesn't move anything.

Trying to migrate away from LR and bring everything into C1P.

OK, but I still would not use Move to shuffle things around on the same disk - not without a complete backup somewhere on another drive ....

If I had that I guess I would not have a problem with an import to a new catalogue - though as I hardly use catalogues in any way I may have missed some nuances of functionality in that concept.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN636443739478940250 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:01 pm

I have a similar issue. I have a folder on my computer that has images in it and when I try to import to a destination I am unable to "Erase Images After Copying". I like to do this for two reasons one is to move the file out of the original location to save space (Since I am moving from my Dropbox folder) and the other is so that I don't get duplicate images (Capture One doesn't seem to have feature that prevents me from importing the image multiple times) Lightroom had both of these capabilities and it is kind of a bummer that Capture One does not.
NNN636443739478940250

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:42 pm

NNN636443739478940250 wrote:I have a similar issue. I have a folder on my computer that has images in it and when I try to import to a destination I am unable to "Erase Images After Copying". I like to do this for two reasons one is to move the file out of the original location to save space (Since I am moving from my Dropbox folder) and the other is so that I don't get duplicate images (Capture One doesn't seem to have feature that prevents me from importing the image multiple times) Lightroom had both of these capabilities and it is kind of a bummer that Capture One does not.

The erase images after import option is only possible when importing images from a memory card. (And even then it is a bad idea. I always check that everything is OK before I erase a memory card. In fact ideally I don't do so until the imported images have been backed up.)

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 9.x Software