How do I delete a variant?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

How do I delete a variant?

Postby mdod » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:58 am

Apparently I made a new variant when I had all the images in an album selected so now they all have have two variants. I've tried searching and I can't find a way to delete/remove a variant. Since I have 1057 images in that album, it would be great if I could remove all the new variants with one action but my main concern is being able to get rid of them.
mdod

Re: How do I delete a variant?

Postby Ian3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:56 am

You can select a variant and delete it. if there is more than one variant of an image, you can delete that one and leave the others. If you delete it from the album it is only removed from the album, not from the catalog itself. (If you use the File menu you will see the item "Delete (from Album *censored word*)". (An image or a variant can after all be in more than one album.) If you want to remove them from the catalog, you have to go to the folder in the Library tool, or "All images". Then the File menu will offer "Delete (Move to catalog trash)" and "Delete from disk".

If you have doubled up variants of everything and want to remove the second variant of them all, you can

(1) go to All Images.

(2) Select any one of the 2nd variants.

(3) Press Cmd-A (or Ctrl-A on Windows) to select all the images, leaving the original 2nd variant you selected at step (2) as the primary one (the one with the thick white border).

(4) Right click that primary image (the one with the thick border) and choose "Select by same>Variant position [2]". You should see all the 2nd variants selected and everything else not selected.

(5) If so, ensure that Edit all selected variants is toggled on (on the Edit menu or with the icon of 3 stacked rectangles on the toolbar) then go to Edit>Delete (Move to catalog trash).

Ian
Ian3

Re: How do I delete a variant?

Postby mdod » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:35 pm

That worked! Thank you. I don't know what I did this first time but when I tried deleting the 2nd variant, both disappeared.

FWIW, there was no Edit>Delete option but when I right-clicked the thumbnail, Delete was available there.

Thanks Again!!!
mdod

Return to Capture One 9.x Software