Lens Hoods

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Lens Hoods

Postby NN99869UL11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 am

Hi
Is Phase One offering other lens hoods for cropped sensors?
The hood of my 80mm LS works perfect on my 55 LS.
For my wides, I would like to have perfect fitted hoods for the sensor format.
I think, this is necessary for best quality pictures.
Regards,
Ben
NN99869UL11

Re: Lens Hoods

Postby C-M-B » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am

I don't think that's feasible.

The only currently produced crop back is the 50MP CMOS and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to produce an extra hood for every lens (PhaseOne and Schneider etc) just for this back alone... And a crop of 1.3 simply doesn't warrant a special extra hood.

There's a reason why companies like Canon, Nikon and others don't create special hoods for crop sensors either - and their crop sensors have a much bigger crop factor than any PhaseOne back had after the H101/H10.
C-M-B

Postby NN99869UL11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 pm

I don't compare Nikon and Canon with Phase One.

Lenses in this price class should have the best possible hoods for their recommended sensors.
A perfect lens hood is one of the cheapest ways to improve the lens quality.
If hoods for cropped sensors would exist, I would buy them.
Maybe it's possible to offer them like the Alpa Shades from 3d printers.....
Regards,
Ben
NN99869UL11

Postby C-M-B » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:14 am

And how many would you buy? One for each lens you own? How many lenses do you own? 4? 10?
Even if a thousand people would buy them (which alone is rather questionable) and each of them owned 10 lenses it wouldn't be financially feasible.

To produce special hoods it would cost a lot more that what it'd be worth:

1. find out how many people need and want such hoods and what kind of lenses they use and how many of those lenses they own
2. find out how much people would want to pay for them
3. r & d to get the perfect size and shape for every available lens (Schneider and PhaseOne!) from 28mm to 240mm.
4. create first moulds and first prototypes for testing
5. producing the finished hoods
6. labelling them appropriately to avoid confusion and create awareness for their small target group

In the end they'd end up with thousand of hoods for all the 22 lenses from Schneider and PhaseOne and hardly anyone who would actually buy them. There simply aren't enough 50MP-back users in real need for special hoods to warrant such expenses.

It's just not cost effective.

I know you don't want to compare Nikon and Canon to PhaseOne - but even Canon and Nikon, who have 10000 times more costumers with crop cameras, know it's not feasible to create additional lens hoods for crop camera users. It's simply impossible to judge how many people would really need them and produce an appropriate number.
Instead they created special smaller lenses for crop cameras. Why? Because they know that people who buy their crop cameras have a generally lower budget and they'd be interested in getting cheaper lenses - and if those lenses are offered as part of a kit it's even better for the customer.

But as the PhaseOne system is mainly an interchangeable system and you could swap your back for a full frame back OR a back with another crop factor, there's no rational need for an additional lens hood tailored to one specific (and very small!) crop factor.
We're not dealing with a 2x crop factor, but 1,3 and that's not a lot. Not enough to warrant a special lens hood anyway.
C-M-B

Postby NN99869UL11 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:41 am

:D
I understand you don't need them.

I would like them anyway.
NN99869UL11

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 pm

If you really need a lens hood that exactly matches your sensor size, go to ebay and pick up a bellows type of lens hood and adjust to your harts content. Never tried them, but you may be able to adapt one to work.

Enlighten me, I cannot believe that a 1.3 crop sensor would be that much of an issue with the standard lens hood. Please explain what you are doing where you MUST have a lens hood that exactly matches your sensor.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Return to Phase One 645 XF