is the PhaseOne 45mm 2.8 suited for 60 MP Back?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

is the PhaseOne 45mm 2.8 suited for 60 MP Back?

Postby C-M-B » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello! :)

I've been using the old Mamiya C 50mm Shift for a while and although it's pretty okay (even in the corners) I'm not impressed by its sharpness and I'm really missing the autofocus (especially when taking pictures of people) and aperture control in the studio.

I'm wondering whether the Phase One 45mm 2.8 (which should be optically the same as the Mamiya D) is up to the task - does it perform well on a 60MP sensor?

Would the Mamiya 55mm AF be a better choice? The difference of 10mm isn't too big and certainly it's not a huge change from 50mm either way.

I know the Schneider LS and especially the BlueRings are probably the best wide-angle AF lenses available, however I don't use the LS and so there's not really a need for it - and I also know that a tech cam solution would deliver the best image quality possible. But as I said - I need the autofocus and automatic aperture control.

I'd be really happy about any advice on this topic! :)
C-M-B

Re: is the PhaseOne 45mm 2.8 suited for 60 MP Back?

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi,

The Phase One 45mm D lens is good lens and much better than the older Mamiya 55AF. - between those two the choice is easy. It has plenty of resolving power for 60mp.

The Schneider 45mm LS (even without using the leaf shutter) is an even better lens with incredibly sharp corners. I don't know what body you are using, but keep in mind the LS lenses require at DF, DF+ or XF camera.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby C-M-B » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Thank you!

I think I'll chose the PhaseOne 45mm 2.8 - am I correct in assuming that there is no 'D' version of the PhaseOne 45mm?

I'm just a bit confused because you wrote "45mm D" but to my knowledge there's only a Mamiya 45mm 'D' - or is there an actual PhaseOne 45mm 'D'?

The 45mm 3.5 LS really looks like stellar lens, but it's a little bit above my budget and as I said, I really don't use the LS and if there's a need I'd rather rent the LS version.
C-M-B

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes you are correct, I referred to it as D out of habit. The Phase One lenses and Mamiya Sekor D are the same lenses sold through two different sales channels.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby C-M-B » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am

Thank you for the clarification!
C-M-B

Postby C-M-B » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 am

Just as a follow-up: the sharpness is really amazing!

Wide open it's soft in the corners (a lot of aberration and some blooming) but as soon as the aperture is closed a bit, it gets really snappy and sharp enough to out-resolve my back without any problems - even in the corners.

The only problem I have to deal with are focus-issues with front/backfocus. But that's why we have focus adjustment :)
C-M-B

Return to Phase One 645 XF