AFr Lens Support

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

AFr Lens Support

Postby will111 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Hello PO

My delight at the introduction of AFr has turned to disappointment when after installing update #4 and reading the release notes discover that this feature will only work with 3 specific blue ring lenses.

The release note uses the phrase *currently supported - hinting that this list will expand.

There is no information if this feature will eventually cover non-blue ring lenses so can you let us know a time map for specific lens support for this feature. If non-blue ring lenses will indeed be supported in time and if not why not.

It's most worrying that the non-blue ring lenses are not supported from the start of the feature release in the 80, 110 and 150 focal lengths that the blue rings get at the very least and this hints to me that you may be intending to not offer this feature with older lenses at all as I can not see any obvious (to this layman) technical impediment as one would presume that the maths and implementation would be the same at any given focal length.

I do hope that PO will support the older lenses and not use this as a lever to force users to upgrade whilst simultaneously reducing the value of non-blue ring lenses .

Thank you and I look forward to any information to can provide to allay my fears.

Regards
Will King
will111

Re: AFr Lens Support

Postby will111 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 pm

The silence is deafening.
will111

Postby John Doe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 pm

This is a user forum. File a support case (link in my signature).
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby will111 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Excuse me.
This is a support, user to user help and resource area. This is from the post guidelines. It does not state that support is only from other non Phase employees. I see this support often.

Psuodonyms, Capitals and in bright red. Nice. 700 posts in 9 1/2 months. Who are you John Doe? Do you work for Phase One ? I do trust and hope not.

It's a user forum. A section of the user base here are Phase One employees. The answers are of importance and relevance to the whole community. Whilst the answers can only really come from P1 the questions merit a response that is public to the whole community. This is mostly because the answers confer a potential financial advantage as the answers may effect the values of older lenses and is an important factor for us users to be aware of.

Not being absolutely clear to the customers advantages dealers who could then be accused of selling you something that they know will not be supported in feature advances both existing and future and may therefore not be the right product for you. Phase One should actively seek to ensure that whatever it's policy it is open about such so the customer is fairly informed and that perceptions are not damaged.
Clearly choosing not to include non-blue ring lenses in certain feature updates would be unpopular, it would be seen as cynical profiteering (or sharp business depending on your side of the fence) but if a policy has been set it but is kept secret to protect the value of dealer inventory and to lower the value of trade in the other way then trust is easily destroyed. Silence is not always golden.

So the questions stand here and the fact of the matter is that I shouldn't even need to have to ask. The release notes were a perfect opportunity to be clear how this would roll out. The failure to do this raises the worries above. I don't need or want a support case. Public clarity is needed. Sort it out if you don't want to do it here then add it to the website feature info for all to see.
Regards
Will King
will111

Postby John Doe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Calm down. I'm only a fellow user trying to help. Experience shows that you have better chance of getting a useful answer if you file a support case, that's all.

Edit : as for the 700 posts in 9 1/2 months, I guess I have far too much time on my hands. :-)
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Christian Gruner » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 pm

This is indeed a user-to-user forum. If you want a quick response, please open a Support Case instead. Most cases are answered within an hour ;)

With regards to your question, more suitable lenses will be added as they are profiled for the feature. For a more detailed/specific answer you will have to write our Support.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby adolfousier » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 pm

will111 wrote:Hello PO

My delight at the introduction of AFr has turned to disappointment when after installing update #4 and reading the release notes discover that this feature will only work with 3 specific blue ring lenses.

The release note uses the phrase *currently supported - hinting that this list will expand.

There is no information if this feature will eventually cover non-blue ring lenses so can you let us know a time map for specific lens support for this feature. If non-blue ring lenses will indeed be supported in time and if not why not.

It's most worrying that the non-blue ring lenses are not supported from the start of the feature release in the 80, 110 and 150 focal lengths that the blue rings get at the very least and this hints to me that you may be intending to not offer this feature with older lenses at all as I can not see any obvious (to this layman) technical impediment as one would presume that the maths and implementation would be the same at any given focal length.

I do hope that PO will support the older lenses and not use this as a lever to force users to upgrade whilst simultaneously reducing the value of non-blue ring lenses .

Thank you and I look forward to any information to can provide to allay my fears.

Regards
Will King

When you get a response in the support case, please let us know.
Thank you
Adolfo Usier
Commercial, Advertising and Fashion | Workshops
Contact Us: +351 967 264 256
R. 1º de Maio 170 3025-107 Coimbra
www.adolfousier.com
www.facebook.com/adolfousier
www.instagram.com/adolfousier
adolfousier
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One 645 XF