Metz flash and TTL with XF body

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Metz flash and TTL with XF body

Postby NN192559UL2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:32 am

Can I use an Metz flash with SCA3952 adaptor together with XF body in the same way as 645DF+ body and get TTL functionality?
NN192559UL2

Re: Metz flash and TTL with XF body

Postby PEW22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I am using it with my XF as "well" as with my DF before. 100% same functionality. I was however not able to get the TTL Flash to expose correctly. So I do not understand what advantage I am getting with the SCA adapter over a normal adapter/socket. Basically it works reliably, but just as a normal standard hotshue. Let me know please if I am doing something wrong. Thank you!
PEW22

Re: Metz flash and TTL with XF body

Postby Jon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 pm

The Metz SCA adapter was designed many years ago specifically with the Mamiya system in mind and allowed TTL with 645AF, 645DF and DF+. However adapting the system from the reflection of film to the reflection of a glass IR filter meant that while results were OK, they were often not perfect. The specific SCA adapter is also rather hard to come by these days as it is out of production.

The XF contains different hardware entirely and was not designed to this system. Therefore using the SCA adapter simply adapts the pins. Instead, TTL is available with Profoto strobes that feature AirTTL (Think b1 or B2 for location). This system works extremely well and also include quite a few remote control options, multi-zone ratio control and different metering modes (such as when using strobe as a main light, fill light or indirect light).
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Phase One 645 XF