True Focus on XF

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

True Focus on XF

Postby DeMarsay » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum so I hope you will not mind me starting off with a request...

I should also say that having bought into the system last year with an IQ380 and coming from the Leica S, I am very impressed with the Phase One universe, from software to hardware. So impressed that I recently decided to jump ship completely and upgraded to the IQ3100 together with additional lenses.

I appreciate the high sophistication of the XF but keep wondering if a True Focus equivalent could be implemented on it. With 80 or 100MP, focus and recompose simply does not work and I trust these backs are testing any photographer's skills. Having experienced a lot of pain in dealing with a flat focus plane, especially in the field, and based on the fact that the camera already has a digital spirit-level, I just wanted to raise my hand and ask if it would be possible to have a focus adjustment feature?

This could also help when shooting tethered. With the Leica S, for example, autofocus can be made though the app or on the computer on any point in the live view field. The camera has only one central focus point like the XF. This automatic lens autofocus adjustment proves extremely useful for critical focus when one cannot move or touch the camera.

There might be limitations that I am not aware of.

Thank you!
DeMarsay

Re: True Focus on XF

Postby Adolfo Usier » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:47 am

Curious too
Adolfo Usier
Commercial, Advertising and Fashion | Workshops
Contact Us: +351 967 264 256
R. 1º de Maio 170 3025-107 Coimbra
https://www.adolfousier.com
www.facebook.com/adolfousier
www.instagram.com/adolfousier
www.adolfousier.com
Adolfo Usier

Postby NN142196UL1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 am

+1
NN142196UL1

Postby PEW22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:57 pm

It would be awesome and given the 3D sensors in the back and the knowlegde of the lens and aperture used the focus theoretically should be able to adjust. The only thought that I have is that the camera never knows the exact distance to the object. It only knows a mechanical focus ring position (such as e.g. 100). Hence calculating the offset may not work.
PEW22

Postby adolfousier » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm

DeMarsay wrote:Hi,

I am new to this forum so I hope you will not mind me starting off with a request...

I should also say that having bought into the system last year with an IQ380 and coming from the Leica S, I am very impressed with the Phase One universe, from software to hardware. So impressed that I recently decided to jump ship completely and upgraded to the IQ3100 together with additional lenses.

I appreciate the high sophistication of the XF but keep wondering if a True Focus equivalent could be implemented on it. With 80 or 100MP, focus and recompose simply does not work and I trust these backs are testing any photographer's skills. Having experienced a lot of pain in dealing with a flat focus plane, especially in the field, and based on the fact that the camera already has a digital spirit-level, I just wanted to raise my hand and ask if it would be possible to have a focus adjustment feature?

This could also help when shooting tethered. With the Leica S, for example, autofocus can be made though the app or on the computer on any point in the live view field. The camera has only one central focus point like the XF. This automatic lens autofocus adjustment proves extremely useful for critical focus when one cannot move or touch the camera.

There might be limitations that I am not aware of.

Thank you!

Curious too
Adolfo Usier
Commercial, Advertising and Fashion | Workshops
Contact Us: +351 967 264 256
R. 1º de Maio 170 3025-107 Coimbra
www.adolfousier.com
www.facebook.com/adolfousier
www.instagram.com/adolfousier
adolfousier
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby hemantchandwani » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

This would be a great feature to have will make life so much easier !
hemantchandwani

Postby eisbaer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:21 am

Done in Feature Update #4 :-)
Frank Werner
digital imaging consulting
http://www.xvm.de
eisbaer
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby dan122 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes and no in v4 update. They did add but to only 4 of their blue ring lenses.
dan122

Return to Phase One 645 XF