sync XF Flash with Canon RT System

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

sync XF Flash with Canon RT System

Postby mjehnichen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 am

coming from the Canon world I loved to use their radio controlled Flash system with my XF. Mainly because its much smaller and cheaper than the profoto B1/B2. And actually it works pretty simple - just slide in a Yongnuo Flash Controller YN-E3-RT (the Original Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT does not work) to the Hot-shoe of the Prism Finder - everything works greatly.
But there is the nice feature to sync flashes straight out of the camera with the built in Profoto AirSync modul. I loved to use this - having no extra device to attache to the camera. But how to link with the Canon system? I bought a Profoto Air sync Transmitter/receiver and connected it with the PC-Plug on a Canon 680EX-Rt - and it works even better : up to 1/1600 of a second exposure time (of course only on leaf shutter lenses).
Step 3 and coming closer to my actual question - I connected the AirSync Device to my Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Transmitter and now i am able to sync all of my Canon Flashes directly from the camera. And I can control the flashes with the ST-E3 which I keep in my pocket. Unfortunately this chain of signal transmitting has quite some latency - meaning the flash fires to late. On the camera I switched to rear curtain Sync and trimmed backwards to the maximum of -15 - This helped and now i can shoot up to 1/400s. But if i could trim even further i could reach the 1/1600s.
Question: Is there a way to trim the rear curtain sync even more backwards in order to compensate the delay of my sync chain?
mjehnichen

Re: sync XF Flash with Canon RT System

Postby NNN635114704990778609 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Have you tried with the other flashes in slave mode. Obviously not that efficient as it'll probably need a line of sight for the system to trigger. Or maybe you could try the Pocketwizard Plus III in fast mode?
NNN635114704990778609

Return to Phase One 645 XF