Flying XF100 on a drone - remote shutter

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Flying XF100 on a drone - remote shutter

Postby NNN636141102464201809 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:26 am

Hi All,

I work for an aerial film company called Fleye and we mainly fly big cinema cameras like the RED Epic and Arri alexa mini for TV, feature film and high end corporate or online videos.

We have recently been approached by a client to fly medium format cameras like the XF100 or one of the Hassleblad systems for FVX shots for one of their clients.

I'm struggling to see how I would release the shutter from the ground baring in mind we want to ideally be up to 500 meters away from the camera. One option is rigging a good old servo to physically press the shutter button but this feels a little crude in today's world! Another, to use the built in Wifi but this will only give us a reliable 40 meter range max so not good enough.

I noticed there are some shutter release options out there but they are all cabled and it looks like the XF100 has a 12 pin port for the cable, it's not like I could solder something up.

If anyone has any advice it would be amazing to hear back from you.

Thanks in advance,

Will
NNN636141102464201809

Re: Flying XF100 on a drone - remote shutter

Postby uptownguydenver » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:14 pm

Will, you could try the Hahnel release. It comes with three pieces. A cable from the camera to the handheld button, the handheld button, and a 2 meter extension cable.

The camera cable has the 10 pin connector that goes in the camera and a 4 wire 2.5 mm connector that goes into he handheld release or the 2m extension cable.

The 2.5mm connector fits all my controllers an exposure rampers but I have been scared to actually try it since the controllers I have use 3 wire TRS connectors.

Hopefully Phase One will add to this information and let you know if it might work. I thought I had a wiring diagram of the XF 10 pin cable but I can't find it now. Will post it if I find it.

The camera cable might be a good start. At least you have the 10 pin connector and could do whatever you want with the equipment end.
You can get the release from Digital Transitions. They have shops in NY and LA.
uptownguydenver
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ross Floyd » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 pm

This is definitely not an officially recommended solution, but it is the one that I use. I splice together the new Hahnel cable with the old "Profoto Camera Release Cable for Phase One/Mamiya Connectors - 3.3' " (normal mono will work but you need the three wire cables to avoid draining batteries while the camera is off or in sleep mode) Then I connect one end to a pocket wizard and the other to the camera.

Use another pocket wizard to trigger the shutter from 1000' away.

Just ordered BOB cable to see if there is an easier way of doing this.
Ross Floyd / www.rossfloyd.com
Ross Floyd
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Christian Gruner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi,

This is a personal recommendation from one drone-operator to another, not an official Phase One solution.

The release on a XF is a standard 3 pin, like most cable releases. Those 3 wires can be hooked up to any widely available RC remote trigger mechanism like the ones found here: http://www.kopterworx.com/shop/camera-g ... ntrol.html
It will take a bit of DIY'ing, but perfectly doable.

Then you can control the shutter from the gimbal operators TX.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue May 02, 2017 11:12 am

Christian Gruner wrote:...
This is a personal recommendation from one drone-operator to another, ...

just love that statement :D
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby HiroshiS » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:05 am

Christian- Could you please elaborate a bit more (I understand it is not an official recommendation:) since the link you provided doesn't work anymore.

Also, is there a way to integrate the XF with the DJI M600 system. I can get the video feed (via their HDMI and DJI's lightbridge) but I need to trigger the shutter (focus etc not needed). Can I use the DJI remote controller, use as a receiver the DJI Remote Start/Stop system and hook up a connector to the FX? [DJI provides such a solution for Canon cameras but told me that PhaseOne is not supported, i.e they don't have a matching connector]

Or do you recommend the purchase of a separate RC receiver (and also RC remote).
HiroshiS

Postby will111 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm

The latest XF camera update #4 allows remote Shutter release using a Profoto air remote the range quoted by profoto for air remote is [up to] 1000ft (300m) which I appreciate is a little shy of your ideal but may suffice and is ready available to rent for about £10-15 per day
will111

Postby HiroshiS » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks Will111! Does this work without any special receiver, i.e. does the XF camera have a Profoto receiver built in? Worth a try but I am still would be interested to hear how Christian rigged a RC receiver/trigger system
HiroshiS

Postby will111 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Hiroshi

Yes. the Xf can both receive and transmit a signal. It's built in to the body Latest firmware update now allows triggering on a separate channel. If you go to the Phase One website-Support-Documentation and then download the latest manual page 75 tells you all you need to know. Obviously quite useful drone wise as you not adding any further weight.
There are several different Air remote products depending on your needs but I think you would get away with the cheapest (something of an oxymoron when discussing profoto :lol: )which is called " Air Sync" Product 901032 also Calumet rent a Air Remote for UK£10 per day here where I live so if its a one off project.

Regards
Will
will111

Postby Ross Floyd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 pm

I've tried the new remote capture with the profoto trigger, and it works incredibly well. Its more responsive and faster than any other solutionI have tried.
Ross Floyd / www.rossfloyd.com
Ross Floyd
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One 645 XF