Syncing two camera bodies

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Syncing two camera bodies

Postby NNN634645160868833522 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Anyone have any experience syncing two XF bodies (with IQ3 100 backs) and strobes? I've tried a couple different ways, but with inconsistent result. Ideally I'd like to have both cameras tethered to keep things organized, but to no avail on CaptureOne. Any words of wisdom would be helpful! Thanks.

-I've gone twelve pin out to pocket wizards that has been most promising, though inconsistent.
-Trying to split the 12 pin out to Hahnel shutter release doesn't work between the two camera systems.
NNN634645160868833522

Re: Syncing two camera bodies

Postby ben_US » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 pm

I haven't tested the timing, but it is completely possible to fire multiple XFs with a single Profoto Air Sync. Setting Profoto to On on the XFs and then all the bodies to the same receiving channel will fire whenever the Profoto unit is triggered.
Of note, triggering the flash sync via the Transmit channel on one XF will not fire another XF who is receiving on that same channel.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634645160868833522 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks Ben,

I'll try getting my hands on a Profoto unit to test. Right now I'm working with older Profoto Acute2 packs and some Broncolor Grafit A4s, and have been using pocket wizards as the wireless transmission since neither of the packs I own have built in Air Sync. Hypothetically, if I use the Independent Profoto Air Remote to trigger the cameras, I can hardwire one of the two XF's to the packs or keep a pocket wizard in the camera hot shoe to trigger them?
NNN634645160868833522

Postby Roger11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm syncing two camera bodies (XF and Nikon D850) using a PocketWizard Plus III and a PW Multimax II along with a Hahnel cable release for the XF body. I use the PW Plus connected to the Hahnel cable (remove the button and use a phono adapter if necessary) and the Multimax II is connected to a PW shutter release cable on the Nikon. Using trial and error on the Multimax Delay function I've settled on a delay of .2293 sec with a shutter speed of 30th sec. Theoretically you can sync at a higher speed except that the faster the shutter speed, the harder it will be to get the timing down. Using a more powerful strobe setting makes the sync easier because the flash duration is longer. Profoto strobes can be fired using either a Profoto air remote or the internal transmitter on the XF. This method should work for two XF bodies, it's just a matter of getting the timing down by way of trial and error. Changing any of the variables (strobe power, shutter speed) will change your delay settings.
Roger11

Return to Phase One 645 XF