Replacement for Capture One 8?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Replacement for Capture One 8?

Postby kayman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 am

Hello, I got an email about ending support of Capture One 8.x, which means, with any windows update, Capture One can stop working any time from time.

This was the worse invested money in my life. I my hobbyist with cheap Pentax DSLR, if I count how many photos I have made and how many was needed to be edited on CO, my old Canon EOS 50e was cheaper per photo with 35mm films :D. Although, I was not able to do everything hich Capture Pne offers, so that is making CO better.
I wouldn't buy Capture One if I know it will be unsupported so soon. For professional, it is nothing to pay for every small upgrade.. OK, my mistake.

Now I need replacement. I will loose a lot of the changes in photos I did in Capture One (I am shooting RAW+JPG and sometimes I edit both raw and jpg and capture one have problems with this when using external file for changes..) but I hope it will save me a lot of money.

I tried a few open source RAW editing program but none have all the things I had in Capture One, or I was unable to find it with first short try.

What would you suggest me?
I like local adjustements, editing many photos at once and not starting and opening every single photo manually (this removes most RAW editors from my list..), catalogizing is a must but must be usable - I had never understand how catalogizing in Capture One works (it is too complicated, I cannot just click on photo, set keywords easily).
If it will works in linux that would be perfect but not necessary.
kayman

Re: Replacement for Capture One 8?

Postby NN184234UL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi,

I was in the same rage as you. I'm shooting film + Sigma Foveon + Fujifilm X. None of these are supported by the "Pro" software.

Buying Capture one is not worth it. As you have figured out by now - they will may you pay for not upgrading to 9 by making you pay for 10. Usually, they release new software once a year with only marginal updates. It is a software that is tailored for professional use.

Last year I have went for Adobe's subscription. It gives me Photoshop (which I have used twice) and Lightroom (which I don't use), always up to date. For Photoshop, you can become way more creative and it serves more purposes. You can get Nik Software Collection for free. Compare that with CO's outrageously priced presets.

But you are in a bit better position. Your sensor is a bayer one and it is supported by all RAW convertors. Mine aren't. You can have DxO Essentials 11 for free at the moment! On Linux, you can get DarkTable and RawTherapee. Both work for your camera!
NN184234UL

Postby NN184234UL » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm

For a company, it's not import how you fail. It's important how you recover. In the case of PhaseOne - they made it even worse. Instead of figuring out a way to retain their CaptureOne 8 customers, they are deleting posts. Hiding a problem does not resolve it.

Meanwhile, I just got a major update from Adobe, including free style presets for the new Lightroom. PhaseOne asks 69 EUR per style pack :lol: :lol: :lol:
NN184234UL

Postby Tibor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 pm

kayman wrote:I got an email about ending support of Capture One 8.x, which means, with any windows update, Capture One can stop working any time

Hi,
when will this support end? Is it still possible to upgrade from C1 ver. 8 to ver. 10 (both are Pro versions)? Untill when is this upgrade possible?
Thanks!
Tibor

Using C1 Pro 11 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (production Mac Pro) and High Sierra 10.13.2 (home iMac).
Tibor

Postby John Doe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Upgrade options are listed on Phase One's website.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby kayman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

NN184234UL: Thanks, I got DxO 11 for free, but I expect that they release new version soon, and in a few years 11 will be discontinued. Also I have to learn new and much different editing flow :/.
Dark Table is unix only, although it is possible to compile after a few changes in windows, it is not for both platform which I prefer more, so I can edit photos any time :).

Tibor: You can upgrade from 8 to 10 until newer version is released, then it is not possible to upgrade and you will have to pay full price I believe.

John Doe: yes, and? I do not want to pay AGAIN the same price for the same program with only some updates which I do not need, only one Pentax lens is missing in supported list. So fine, I would use old version but I cannot, it is not long ago when Microsoft made some .net update which makes CaptureOne not starting, newer version of CO fixed it. So any time this will happen again and I won't be able to use Capture One..
kayman

Postby John Doe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 am

I was answering Tibor's question.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Alex1111 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Last night I saw the email that v8 may stop working and won't get support and will not be available for purchase soon last night after coming back from vacation and panicked and bought the upgrade for $89 as I rely on CO for image processing. Hopefully v10 will work on my PC which has Win 7 64. I'll experiment over the weekend.

I already had to back out of a Window update related to .net which was a pain to do, but it prevent CO v8 from even starting up.

Will I be able to keep v8 installed in parallel as I have a number of active projects I need to finish?
Alex1111

Postby Tibor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Thank you. I downloaded the C1 ver. 10 trial and will upgrade to C1 ver. 10 when my trial ends. So far everything looks pretty good.
Tibor

Using C1 Pro 11 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (production Mac Pro) and High Sierra 10.13.2 (home iMac).
Tibor

Return to Capture One 8.x Software